This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Met 2010 Info

The New York Times arts season overview (part of tomorrow's newspaper) provides the following snippets on the ABT's Met 2010 season:

"After its Avery Fisher experiment, ABT returns to the tried and true for its spring season, including 'Swan Lake', 'Don Quixote' and the company premiere of John Neumeier's 'Lady of the Camelias'. But not all business is as usual: there will a roughly two-week repertory festival, including works by Ashton, Tudor, Balanchine and Robbins, and the flawed but stirring 'On the Dnieper', Alexei Ratmansky's first ballet as the company's artist in residence. May 17-July 10."

Elsewhere, Alastair M notes: "And is it too much to hope that the artistic director, Kevin McKenzie, will have revised his 'Swan Lake' and 'Sleeping Beauty' productions? As we last saw them, both were seriously flawed. But the season will contain two weeks of mixed repertory, including two one-act ballets by Ashton ('The Dream' and 'Birthday Offering') and -- new acquisitions in Ballet Theater repertory -- two of Ashton's most exquisite pas de deux (the 'Awakening' pas de deux from 'The Sleeping Beauty' and the 'Thais' Meditation)."

The listings page of the NYT's fall preview also includes this: "After its Avery Fisher experiment, American Ballet Theater returns to the tried and true for its spring season, including “Swan Lake,” “Don Quixote” and the company premiere of John Neumeier’s “Lady of the Camellias.” But not all business is as usual: there will be a roughly two-week repertory festival, including works by Ashton, Tudor, Balanchine and Robbins, and the flawed but stirring “On the Dnieper,” Alexei Ratmansky’s first ballet as the company’s artist in residence. May 17-July 10."

Oh wow. I can't imagine anything I'd like to see more than those two Ashton pas de deux—if they can come anywhere near the Sibley/Dowell performances in the Dowell documentary at the NYPL, which are sublime. I've seen the Bussell/Cope version of Awakening and it didn't have the same magic.

The timing of the acquisition of the Neumeier "La Dame aux Camellias" is unfortunate. Wasn't it this version that Alessandra Ferri triumphed in at La Scala? Both Ferri and Susan Jaffe would have excelled in this ballet some 5 or 8 years ago. Imagine Ferri as Marguerite with Bocca as her Armand. Or Susan Jaffe with a younger Carreno. Ananiashvili with Guillaume Graffin or Angel Corella? How about Vishneva with Malakhov? Well at least we still have Vishneva and Corella...

I'm so psyched about the return of Birthday Offering, a ballet I love but never get to see, as well as the other Ashton pas de deux. Less pleased about Neumeier "La Dame aux Camellias" -- snooze fest, for me. But scheduling it allows my purse to take a break :flowers:

Oh wow. I can't imagine anything I'd like to see more than those two Ashton pas de deux—if they can come anywhere near the Sibley/Dowell performances in the Dowell documentary at the NYPL, which are sublime. I've seen the Bussell/Cope version of Awakening and it didn't have the same magic.

Veronika and Marcelo would be great in the Thais PDD

bingham, with all due respect but my recollection of the "Thais" pas de deux is that it has a ton of lifts and the ballerina has to look very light and ethereal. It works best with a small, compact ballerina like Xiomara Reyes, Sarah Lane, Diana Vishneva or even Julie Kent. There was a BBC documentary aired on either A&E or Bravo fifteen years ago (when they were arts channels) profiling Viviana Durante where Antoinette Sibley was coaching her in "Thais" and mentioned that her lightness and compact frame made her ideal for it. There was thrilling footage of Durante seemingly light as a hummingbird being wafted through the air in various positions.

Now Part did manage to be light and ethereal in Bournonville's "La Sylphide" in a terre a terre choreographic mode. However, I think that she is wrong for "Thais" in other ways - she has a lot of arms and legs to maneuver in some tight partnering moves and there is a lot of tossing around in lifts and major acrobatics here and there. However, I am always thrilled when proved very wrong with Ms. Part and Marcelo the Magnificent would more than hold up his end as he always does.

In the Contact section of her website, Diana Vishneva states that"she plan to dance "lady of the Camellias" in the next ABT season".

I'm glad to read that she'll be back with ABT next year. I had asked her on her website last summer if she was planning to come to NYC with ABT in 2010 and she never posted a reply. But maybe it was too early to answer and now negotiations have moved along.

She also advises that she will post more details re her New York/ABT plans in December and that she will dance with the MT in DC in February.

bingham, with all due respect but my recollection of the "Thais" pas de deux is that it has a ton of lifts and the ballerina has to look very light and ethereal. It works best with a small, compact ballerina like Xiomara Reyes, Sarah Lane, Diana Vishneva or even Julie Kent. There was a BBC documentary aired on either A&E or Bravo fifteen years ago (when they were arts channels) profiling Viviana Durante where Antoinette Sibley was coaching her in "Thais" and mentioned that her lightness and compact frame made her ideal for it. There was thrilling footage of Durante seemingly light as a hummingbird being wafted through the air in various positions.

Now Part did manage to be light and ethereal in Bournonville's "La Sylphide" in a terre a terre choreographic mode. However, I think that she is wrong for "Thais" in other ways - she has a lot of arms and legs to maneuver in some tight partnering moves and there is a lot of tossing around in lifts and major acrobatics here and there. However, I am always thrilled when proved very wrong with Ms. Part and Marcelo the Magnificent would more than hold up his end as he always does.

Faux Pas , i recently watched a video of Thais PDD. You are probably right, it need someone light and ethereal to make it work.

The performances are now posted on the ABT website.

Of note is that Natalia Osipova is returning for two performances--The Sleeping Beauty on Saturday, June 19th, and Romeo & Juliet on Saturday, July 10th. She is paired with David Hallberg both times.

The company will be performing The Brahms-Haydn Variations, Company B, and Fancy Free, in its All-American Repertory Program June 9, June 12, and July 3; Birthday Offering, Thais pas de deux, Awakening pas de deux, and The Dream, in its All-Ashton Repertory Program June 8-12; The Brahms-Haydn Variations, Fancy Free, and On the Dnieper in its ABT Premieres Repertory Program June 9, June 11, June 28, and July 1; and Allegro Brillante, Company B (June 30) or The Dream (June 29 and July 2), and pas de deux from Manon, Romeo & Juliet, and Thais in its All Classics Masters Repertory June 29, June 30, and July 2. Lady of the Camellias (May 25-27, June 4-7) is the only full-length ballet that has not been frequently performed recently by ABT.

Dame aux Camelias is probably a good vehicle for Kent at this late stage of her career. As I recall, the technical demands are not terribly difficult.

Julie Kent is scheduled to perform the lead role on May 25, May 27, and June 5 with Roberto Bolle.

Other casts are led by Vishneva/Gomes and Dvorovenko/Stearns.

Dame aux Camelias is probably a good vehicle for Kent at this late stage of her career. As I recall, the technical demands are not terribly difficult.

Julie Kent is scheduled to perform the lead role on May 25, May 27, and June 5 with Roberto Bolle.

Other casts are led by Vishneva/Gomes and Dvorovenko/Stearns.

All of my favorite guest artiests (Bolle, Vishneva, Osipova) are returning. I noticed that Seo and Stearns will be doing R&J again. Did Simkin get a Don Q? Did S. Lane get a SB?

Here's the official release:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE CELEBRATES

70TH ANNIVERSARY SEASON,

MAY 17-JULY10, 2010 AT METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE

SEASON TO FEATURE COMPANY PREMIERE OF JOHN NEUMEIER’S

LADY OF THE CAMELLIAS AND REPERTORY FESTIVAL INCLUDING

ALL-ASHTON AND ALL-AMERICAN PROGRAMS

Special Tribute to Alicia Alonso’s 90th Birthday Planned

American Ballet Theatre’s 2010 Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House, May 17-July 10, will celebrate the Company’s 70th Anniversary and pay tribute to legendary ballerina, Alicia Alonso. The season was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie. The Company Premiere of John Neumeier’s Lady of the Camellias and a repertory festival will highlight the season.

Principal Dancers for the 2010 Metropolitan Opera season will include Maxim Beloserkovsky, Roberto Bolle, Jose Manuel Carreño, Angel Corella, Herman Cornejo, Irina Dvorovenko, Marcelo Gomes, David Hallberg, Paloma Herrera, Julie Kent, Gillian Murphy, Veronika Part, Xiomara Reyes, Ethan Stiefel, Diana Vishneva and Michele Wiles. Natalia Osipova, a leading soloist with the Bolshoi Ballet, will return for the Spring season as a guest artist.

Saks Fifth Avenue is the Leading Corporate Sponsor of the Costume Fund. J.P. Morgan is the Leading Corporate Sponsor of Make a Ballet. American Airlines is ABT’s Official Airline. Northern Trust is the Official Sponsor of the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School at American Ballet Theatre. LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton is the Official Sponsor of ABT II. The 2010 Metropolitan Opera House season is also made possible with funds from the National Endowment for the Arts and the Recovery Act, the New York State Council on the Arts, a state agency and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, in partnership with the City Council.

American Ballet Theatre’s 70th Anniversary season celebration will open with a Gala performance featuring ABT’s Principal Dancers on Monday, May 17 at 6:30 P.M. For information on ABT’s Spring Gala, please call the Special Events Office at 212-477-3030, ext. 3239. ABT’s Spring Gala in sponsored by NBC Universal and GRAFF.

Company Premiere

John Neumeier’s Lady of the Camellias will be given its Company Premiere by American Ballet Theatre on Tuesday evening, May 25 with Julie Kent as Marguerite and Roberto Bolle as Armand. Set to music by Frederic Chopin, Lady of the Camellias was choreographed by Neumeier after the novel of Alexandre Dumas. The ballet features scenery and costumes by Jürgen Rose with original lighting design by Neumeier, reconstructed by Rolf Merkel. Lady of the Camellias was given its World Premiere by the Stuttgart Ballet at the Weurttemberg Staatstheatre, Stuttgart, Germany on November 4, 1978, with Marcia Haydée and Egon Madsen. The ballet received its United States premiere by the Stuttgart Ballet at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Washington, D.C. on May 15, 1979, with the same cast. American Ballet Theatre will present eight performances of the full-length ballet, May 25 through May 27 and June 4 through June 7.

Repertory Festival

American Ballet Theatre will offer two weeks of repertory programs June 8 through June 12 and continuing on June 28 through July 3. The programs include an All-Ashton program featuring Sir Frederick Ashton’s Birthday Offering, The Dream and the Company Premieres of the Awakening pas de deux from Ashton’s The Sleeping Beauty and Thaïs pas de deux. The repertory festival also includes an All-American Program featuring the Revival Premiere of Twyla Tharp’s The Brahms-Haydn Variations, Paul Taylor’s Company B and Jerome Robbins’ Fancy Free. An All-Classic Masters Program presented on June 29, June 30 matinee and July 2 will include George Balanchine’s Allegro Brillante, pas de deux from Sir Kenneth MacMillan’s Manon and Antony Tudor’s Romeo and Juliet, as well as ballets from the All-Ashton and All-American programs.

An All-ABT Premieres program on the evenings of June 9, June 11, June 28 and July 1 will feature Tharp’s The Brahms-Haydn Variations, along with Alexei Ratmansky’s On the Dneiper and Jerome Robbins’ Fancy Free.

A Celebration for Alicia Alonso

As part of American Ballet Theatre 70th Anniversary season, the Company will celebrate the life and career of legendary dancer and ballet director Alicia Alonso. Alonso joined Ballet Theatre in 1940 and was promoted to Principal Dancer in 1946. Famed for her interpretation of the title role in Giselle, Alonso also starred in the World Premieres of ABT’s most critically hailed works, including George Balanchine’s Theme and Variations, Antony Tudor’s Undertow and as The Accused in Agnes de Mille’s Fall River Legend; all roles that were created on her. Alonso’s 90th birthday will be marked by a special performance of Don Quixote on Thursday evening, June 3 featuring three Principal casts, each dancing the lead in one act of the three act classic.

Full-Length Ballets

In addition to the Company Premiere of Lady of the Camellias, American Ballet Theatre will perform five full-length ballets during the 2010 Spring season beginning with La Bayadère on Tuesday evening, May 18. Diana Vishneva (Nikiya), Marcelo Gomes (Solor), and Gillian Murphy (Gamzatti) will lead the season’s first performance of the three-act classic. The season’s eight performances of La Bayadère, May 18 through May 22, mark the 30th anniversary of the ballet. Natalia Makarova first staged The Kingdom of the Shades scene for ABT in 1974 and subsequently produced and choreographed the complete version (in three acts) for ABT in 1980. The World Premiere of Makarova’s production was given on May 21 of that year, danced by Makarova (Nikiya), Anthony Dowell (Solor), and Cynthia Harvey (Gamzatti).

Set to music by Ludwig Minkus, arranged by John Lanchbery, La Bayadère was conceived and directed by Makarova. The ballet features scenery by PierLuigi Samaritani, costumes by Theoni V. Aldredge and lighting by Toshiro Ogawa. Dina Makarova serves as production coordinator for the current production.

The season’s first performance of Don Quixote will be led by Paloma Herrera and Angel Corella on Friday evening, May 28. Staged by Kevin McKenzie and Susan Jones, with choreography after Marius Petipa and Alexander Gorsky, Don Quixote is set to music by Ludwig Minkus and features scenery and costumes by Santo Loquasto and lighting by Natasha Katz. The McKenzie/Jones staging of the current production was first performed by ABT in June 1995.

The Sleeping Beauty returns to the repertory for eight performances, June 14 through June19. Set to a score by Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky, The Sleeping Beauty, choreographed after Marius Petipa, has additional choreography and staging by Kevin McKenzie, Gelsey Kirkland and Michael Chernov. The production features scenery by Tony Walton, costumes by Willa Kim with additional costume designs by Holly Hynes, and lighting by Richard Pilbrow and Dawn Chiang. Gillian Murphy and Jose Manuel Carreño will lead the season’s first performance of The Sleeping Beauty on Monday evening, June 14. This production of The Sleeping Beauty received its World Premiere at the Metropolitan Opera House in New York on June 1, 2007.

Eight performances of Swan Lake, choreographed by Kevin McKenzie after Marius Petipa, will be given beginning Monday, June 21 with Veronika Part and Roberto Bolle leading the opening night cast. Swan Lake is set to the score by Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky and features scenery and costumes by Zack Brown and lighting by Duane Schuler. This production of Swan Lake premiered on March 24, 2000 at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C.

The final week of American Ballet Theatre’s eight week season at the Metropolitan Opera House will feature eight performances of Kenneth MacMillan’s Romeo and Juliet beginning Monday evening, July 5 with Julie Kent and Marcelo Gomes in the title roles. Set to the music of Sergei Prokofiev, Romeo and Juliet features scenery and costumes by Nicholas Georgiadis and lighting by Thomas Skelton. The ballet received its World Premiere by The Royal Ballet in London on February 9, 1965 and was given its ABT Company Premiere at the Metropolitan Opera House on April 22, 1985.

ABTKids

ABTKids, American Ballet Theatre’s annual one-hour introduction to ballet, is scheduled for Saturday morning, June 5 at 11:30am. All tickets for ABTKids are $25. The ABTKids performance is generously supported through an endowed gift from Thomas and Lydia West, in loving memory of Vivian B. West.

ABTKids Workshop Series

ABTKids Workshop Series, activity-based programs led by ABT Teaching Artists, are available to ABTKids ticket holders only on Saturday, June 5 (9:30 am). On Saturday, June 19, ABT will hold a Sleeping Beauty Workshop at 11:00am. Saturday workshops will be held in the rehearsal studios of the Metropolitan Opera House. Tickets to the workshops are $20 per person. For tickets and more information on ABTKids Workshop series, please call 212-419-4321.

Subscriptions for American Ballet Theatre’s 2010 Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House are on sale now by phone at 212-362-6000, or online at ABT’s website www.abt.org <http://www.abt.org> .

Lady of the Camellias is generously supported through an endowed gift from The Toni and Martin Sosnoff New Works Fund. This production is generously sponsored through an endowed gift from Ruth and Harold Newman.

La Bayadère is generously sponsored by an endowed gift from Drs. Philip and Marjorie Gerdine. La Bayadère is presented in loving memory of Mrs. Caroline Newhouse.

Don Quixote is generously supported through an endowed gift from Anka K. Palitz, in memory of Clarence Y. Palitz, Jr.

Swan Lake is generously underwritten by The Rosh Foundation. Costumes for Swan Lake are generously sponsored by the Ellen Everett Kimiatek Costume Preservation Trust.

ABT’s production of Romeo and Juliet is generously underwritten through an endowed gift

from Monica and Ali Wambold.

Joan Taub Ades and Alan M. Ades, Adrienne Arsht, Arlene and Harvey Blau, Devon and Peter Briger, Susan and Leonard Feinstein, Edward A. Fox, Lori and Stephen Garofalo, Julia and David H. Koch, Konrad R. Kruger, Jill L. Leinbach, Charlotte and MacDonald

Mathey, and Jean and Lawrence Shaw are Co-Underwriters of The Sleeping Beauty.

Additional funding is provided by the NIB Foundation. Special thanks to Caroline Newhouse. This production has been made possible with public funds from the National Endowment for the Arts.

On the Dneiper is generously supported through an endowed gift from The Toni and Martin Sosnoff New Works Fund, The Ross Stretton Choreography Workshop Fund, Leila and Mickey Straus, and the Rudolf Nureyev® Dance Foundation.

Fancy Free is generously underwritten by an endowed gift from Avery and Andrew F. Barth, in honor of Laima and Rudolf Barth.

The Dream is presented in loving memory of Clarence Y. Palitz, Jr. by his family.

The Dream has been made possible with public funds from the National Endowment For the Arts and the New York State Council on the Arts, a State Agency.

Company B is generously supported by a gift from Marjorie S. Isaac in honor of ABT Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.

CA, Inc. is a Sponsor of ABT’s Family Initiatives.

The performances are already posted on the Metropolitan Opera Company website.

Birthday Offering, Thais pas de deux, Awakening pas de deux, and The Dream, in its All-Ashton Repertory Program June 8-12;

I'm looking forward to the Ashton program. I hope ABT can get up to speed , stylewise. At least the Sylvia revival this year had a better look than previous years.

How lucky that my subscription series from last year (Tuesday Evening) consists of 3 performances out of 4 that include Hallberg! Almost perfect!

All Ashton Repertory Program -- June 8 -- includes Hallberg among listed dancers

Swan Lake -- June 22 -- Vishneva/Hallberg

Romeo and Juliet -- July 6 -- Murphy/Hallberg

How perfect! I'm going to swap out Lady of the Camelias on May 25 (Kent/Bolle) for the Hallberg La Bayadere. And then I've requested tickets (non-series) to the 2 Hallberg/Osipova performances and the Paloma/Hallberg Sleeping Beauty. :P Happy happy.

Can I ask when individual additional tickets for performances (non-series) start to be assigned to ABT subscribers of another series?

Also, is the company's first night at the Met part of any subscription? If not, when can we get tickets?

Also, how would I get added to the notification list for the information above about the ABT? I am a subscriber, but don't seem to get such notifications. :off topic:

How lucky that my subscription series from last year (Tuesday Evening) consists of 3 performances out of 4 that include Hallberg! Almost perfect!

All Ashton Repertory Program -- June 8 -- includes Hallberg among listed dancers

Swan Lake -- June 22 -- Vishneva/Hallberg

Romeo and Juliet -- July 6 -- Murphy/Hallberg

How perfect! I'm going to swap out Lady of the Camelias on May 25 (Kent/Bolle) for the Hallberg La Bayadere. And then I've requested tickets (non-series) to the 2 Hallberg/Osipova performances and the Paloma/Hallberg Sleeping Beauty. :P Happy happy.

Can I ask when individual additional tickets for performances (non-series) start to be assigned to ABT subscribers of another series?

Also, is the company's first night at the Met part of any subscription? If not, when can we get tickets?

Also, how would I get added to the notification list for the information above about the ABT? I am a subscriber, but don't seem to get such notifications. :off topic:

If you're a subscriber, I think you are allowed to order tickets for opening night gala at the same time you order your subscription. (The opening night is not on any subscription.) When I receive my renewal, it always includes a separate sheet that permits you to order any single tickets, including opening night gala. I'm not sure what happens when you renew on the internet, though. I think indiv. tickets are not assigned until every type of subscription has been filled- regular subscriptions, trios etc.. I'm sure if you call ABT or the MET Opera, they would be more than happy to put you on the mailing lists. Enjoy.

I notice that the "Don Quixote" has two TBA Basilios and one TBA Kitri. My suggestion would be to add Simkin/Lane and move Dvorovenko and Carreno together. Also, I am surprised that Marcelo Gomes isn't dancing Basilio - he has been a definitive Espada and he has danced Basilio before. (He does dance everything and pulls more than his own weight) I think ABT should start Stearns on Espada for a season or two and promote him up to Basilio later when he has gained some stamina.

I also see that there is one TBA cast on the Saturday matinee for "Sleeping Beauty". Would be nice to get Lane/Simkin or Lane/Stearns for that matinee.

Points of interest: The Bolle/Part pairings in Bayadere and Swan Lake. The return of Part as Aurora (Wiles too) after doing Lilac in the revivals. Also the perfecter than perfect casting of Simkin as Puck in "The Dream".

Castings not repeated: Dvorovenko as Nikiya, Gomes as Basilio, Lane as Aurora, Vishneva in "On the Dnieper", Ethan Steifel in "The Dream" as well as several other of his usual roles like Solor, etc.