This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Classical TV as been mentioned in the Links and in a couple posts. The free documentaries (about an hour long) are excellent. There are also extensive program notes. I have watched two so far:

Kurt Jooss. A Commitment to Dance. By Annette von Wangenheim

"The colourful life and distinctive dance style of the seminal choreographer Kurt Jooss (1901-79) are explored in a film that contains a wealth of archive material, including home-movie footage."

Keeping Dance Alive. A Portrait of the Choreographer Mats Ek. By Regina Heidecke

"Mats Ek, one of Europe's most creative and influential dance-makers, acclaimed for the theatricality and immediacy of his work. In this documentary he talks about his varied career."

At the moment on the Dance Channel there are nine programs. Two of these are pay per view. One is "THE BALLETS RUSSES AT THE MARIINSKY".

Although watching on a television screen is easier on the eyes than watching on the computer you can restart the program and then skip ahead to where you had stopped before. And although I haven't checked I doubt very much if these programs are available on dvd.

I hope they expand their offerings -- a wonderful resource.