This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

So, I've got an urge to watch a full-length Don Quixote. However, I barely know anything about this ballet. I've only seen pdd's and variations of it (like Susan Jaffe in Kitri's variation) but I'd love a full length version. So I was wondering if any of you who have seen this ballet have a DVD version that they particularly like (doesn't matter if it's new or old). It would be very helpful if you tell me what you especifically liked about that version. Thanks in advance!

My vote is the Rudolf Nureyev version, with the Australian Ballet. Originally filmed in 1972, but remastered a few years ago for the DVD. It is one of the best ballet films ever. The dancing is superb, and now the costumes/scenery colors are enhanced, making this a terrific film.

I enjoy all of the three mentioned versions: in the ABT, Baryshnikov is wonderful, but Cynthia Harvey strikes me as a rather lady-like Kitri. On the other hand, there aren't a lot of her performances on film, so this is a valuable opportunity to see this exquisite dancer.

You certainly wouldn't go wrong with Terekhova, but overall I have to go along with toeprints and vote for the Nureyev. He's funnier than you might expect (despite the Night of the Living Dead eye makeup) and Lucette Aldous is a lovable and strongly danced Kitri.

Having said that, I have to put in a word for the National Ballet of Cuba version. If you can have only one, this might not be it, but despite some shortcomings, it's worth seeing this legendary company in action. The female dancers in particular may not be to everyone's taste (though I liked Viengsay Valdes as Kitri, many find her too over the top), but I fell hopelessly in love with Romel Frometa's Basil; and wunderkind Tara Domitro does a brief, airborne turn as a gypsy.

Alonso's Company version. If there's a role in which Miss Valdes doesn't has to contain her usual over-the-top self is here. So yes, you will enjoy Viengsay Valdes' extravagant, non refined-(and not ashamed to be)- Kitri, Romel Frometa's Basilio's real "man's man" projection and sultriness and Taras Domitro's Gipsy's beautiful airiness and ballon, aside from some real, natural knowledge of the Spanish culture, a fact that gets to be much neglected quite often by many companies.

Edited to add: If looking for elaborated sets and costumes, this is not your DVD of choice.

I also vote for the Kirov dvd; the only thing I don't like about it is that Terekhova doesn't dance the usual variation in act III.

One I like as well is the Bolshoi one with Nadezhda Pavlova; though I find the way it is filmed odd or even disturbing sometimes, the dancing is excellent.

I also vote for the Kirov dvd; the only thing I don't like about it is that Terekhova doesn't dance the usual variation in act III.

One I like as well is the Bolshoi one with Nadezhda Pavlova; though I find the way it is filmed odd or even disturbing sometimes, the dancing is excellent.

I am so pleased to see Nadezhda Pavlova's name mentioned. She was an extraordinary dancer whose career should have been much more than what it was.

The DVD version of this also has extended excerpts of Maya Plisetskaya in Don Quixote. A bit rough around the edges but bags and bags of charisma. She even does the 32 fouettes in the big pdd.

She ****defines***** over-the-top!

I've looked for a Don Q dvd with N. Pavlova and can't find anything on Amazon. Is this the full-length ballet or just excerpts?

Hi PeggyR, Nureyev's eye make-up is fine in Don Q. Perhaps you were thinking of the Swan Lake film in which his eye make-up was overdone, ala Soviet-style, I'm told.

Toeprints: You're right, of course and my apologies to Mr. N. :) In any case, I thought he was unexpectedly funny, which is a big part of the reason I enjoy this performance so much.

I've looked for a Don Q dvd with N. Pavlova and can't find anything on Amazon. Is this the full-length ballet or just excerpts?

[

Hmmmm, it doesn't seem to come up in an Amazon search, does it?

It's a VAI release, here's a link to the VAI page with a full description (including the extra footage with Maya P from a 1964 Bolshoi Don Q)

http://www.vaimusic.com/VIDEO/DVD_4407_DonQuixote.htm

Hmmmm, it doesn't seem to come up in an Amazon search, does it?

It's a VAI release, here's a link to the VAI page with a full description (including the extra footage with Maya P from a 1964 Bolshoi Don Q)

http://www.vaimusic.com/VIDEO/DVD_4407_DonQuixote.htm

richard53dog: Many thanks for that link; I just placed my order!

I agree with all of the other mentioned performances, and I would like to add one more. The new DQ with the lovely Olesya Novikova and dazzling Leonid Sarafanov is fabulous, IMO, though it's received some less than great reviews here. I think it's one of the best films of the current generation of Mariinsky dancers, and I've watched it multiple times since buying it. Although it does contain Alina Somova's controversial Dryad Queen, it also has Evgenia Obraztsova dancing the most perfect Amour. The corps is glorious as well.