This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Dances Set to Steve Reich's Drumming

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,742 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:26 PM

Thanks, miliosr. The Wikipedia entry sounds as if it was written by a fan or fans, certainly, not unusual on Wikipedia, and the information sounds quite believable. Sounds a tad self-defeating, but it's her call. Has anyone else read or heard something?

Dean has been very protective of her work, and from time to time has wanted to rescind permissions for performances. This time around, according to a colleague who has staged her work in the past, I believe she has indeed closed the door, though I do not know if it will remain closed.

It's certainly her call if she wants to do it, but I truly hope it doesn't end like this. I would hate to see those works lost to future audiences.

#17 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,407 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:45 AM

According to Rita Feliciano's review of Liss Fain Dance Company in danceviewtimes, Fain set "Resolved" "a reworking of last year’s "At the Time" to a different Steve Reich score." "At the Time" was set to "You Are (Variations)" according to Rachel Howard's review from last September, but I can't find the name of the Reich piece to which the new version is choreographed.

#18 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:18 PM

My friend Tom Mossbrucker was allowed to reconstruct and present Laura Dean's first ballet for Joffrey - NIGHT for his Aspen-Santa Fe Ballet just two or three months ago.

#19 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:19 AM

My friend Tom Mossbrucker was allowed to reconstruct and present Laura Dean's first ballet for Joffrey - NIGHT for his Aspen-Santa Fe Ballet just two or three months ago.

But when did Laura Dean give her approval? The Wiki entry states that there are a number of pre-"no more revivals" performance licenses out there (which will gradually expire.)

#20 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:11 PM

I've got to ask Tom. I know that the performance was quite recent but I do not know when the agreement was made.

#21 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:34 PM

So, I've been listening to a 1970s recording of the Steve Reich composition Drumming. I understand that Laura Dean (in the 70s) and Anne Teresa de Keersmaeker (in the 00s) have made dances to this work. Has anyone seen the dances? And, if so, what did you think??

This might interest you... Here is a quote from an article by Sanjoy Roy, "Step-by-step guide to dance: Anne Teresa de Keersmaeker and Rosas". The Guardian. Tuesday 8 September 2009.

Steve Reich's "jaw dropped" when he saw De Keersmaeker's work for the first time. He had known of her since the early 80s ("some woman with a very long name") but hadn't seen any of her work until a performance of Fase in 1999. "Of all the choreography done to my music," he said, "this was by far the best thing I'd seen … it was all analogous to the music. On an emotional and psychological level I felt I'd learned something about my own work."

#22 LiLing

LiLing

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:53 PM

There is an Alastair Macaulay review in today's NY Times of two works to the same Reich work, Double Sextet, shown at the Works & Process series at the Guggenheim. Mr. Reich, along with choreographers Larry Keigwin and Peter Quanz, took part in the Q & A after the last performance.
Mr. Macaulay calls Mr. Reich "among the most choreographed of living composers."

#23 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:11 PM

On the Steve Reich/Anne Teresa de Keersmaeker front:

(Recorded @ MoMa on Saturday, January 22)

And the Times review:

http://www.nytimes.c...?_r=1&ref=dance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):