This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Royal Swedish Ballet

I have been trying to find information about Par Isberg and his choreography. In particular the ballet "Tale of a Manor". There is a dvd of it but I would like to know more about the choreographer and the ballet before I buy it. Is anyone familiar with his work? How would you describe Isberg's choreography? Could someone write a little about the the Royal Swedish Ballet?

I have been trying to find information about Par Isberg and his choreography. In particular the ballet "Tale of a Manor". There is a dvd of it but I would like to know more about the choreographer and the ballet before I buy it. Is anyone familiar with his work? How would you describe Isberg's choreography? Could someone write a little about the the Royal Swedish Ballet?

I know of Pär Isberg, but I have only seen one of his works (on TV). Here also, Nutcracker is THE Christmas ballet, but Isberg changed it into something which he called "Petter's and Lotta's Christmas". I have seen excerpts of it and did not like it. OK, now I never like when they tamper with and modernize the classics. Nutcracker is an old classic and perfectly capable of standing on its own legs. Isberg threw in everything but the kitchen sink including some characters from Swedish fairy tales. :)

I am afraid I dont know what he is doing right now, have you tried to Google him? I assume that masses of stuff in Swedish would come up, but if you find something that interests you, please dont hesitate to ask me to translate for you.

I did have a brief look at the web site of the Royal Opera, but found it rather poor. There was only a brief summary in English. As for myself I havent seen them in years, last performance was Don Quixote, competent but no more. As I live on the West coast and Stockholm is on the East coast I rarely visit these days.

Stockholm is rather far away and I no longer have any family or friends there.

But I must admit I am very curious about their new star. She is called Jurgita Dronina (sp?). very young, and she is from one of the Baltic countries and was trained there. Friends have told me she is to die for :clapping: Especially her Swan Lake.

I know of Pär Isberg, but I have only seen one of his works (on TV). Here also, Nutcracker is THE Christmas ballet, but Isberg changed it into something which he called "Petter's and Lotta's Christmas". I have seen excerpts of it and did not like it. OK, now I never like when they tamper with and modernize the classics. Nutcracker is an old classic and perfectly capable of standing on its own legs. Isberg threw in everything but the kitchen sink including some characters from Swedish fairy tales. :)

I am afraid I dont know what he is doing right now, have you tried to Google him? I assume that masses of stuff in Swedish would come up, but if you find something that interests you, please dont hesitate to ask me to translate for you.

I did have a brief look at the web site of the Royal Opera, but found it rather poor. There was only a brief summary in English. As for myself I havent seen them in years, last performance was Don Quixote, competent but no more. As I live on the West coast and Stockholm is on the East coast I rarely visit these days.

Stockholm is rather far away and I no longer have any family or friends there.

But I must admit I am very curious about their new star. She is called Jurgita Dronina (sp?). very young, and she is from one of the Baltic countries and was trained there. Friends have told me she is to die for :clapping: Especially her Swan Lake.

Thank you so much for responding. Jurgita Dronina is on youtube so you have given me some weekend watching ;)

I stumbled onto this 2min youtube clip of Pär Isbergs Nutcracker.

I assume it's the one Pamela was talking about.

As for the Royal Swedish Ballet I've recently seen their triple bill Christe, Matthews, Ek and liked it immensely. So much that I went back a few days later. Was especially fond of the two court dancers Marie Lindqvist and Jan-Erik Wikström in Quondam by Sabrina Matthews.

Christe, Matthews and Ek are the choreographers though so no Isberg. Also, I'm far from an expert so I can have been duped by the dancing, opera singers on stage, professional violin solists et al.

Jurgita Dronina didn't perform and shouldn't according to their webpage but theres a picture of her in Christes piece in the program but maybe that's from last year. Too bad, would have liked to see her after Pamelas comment.

Still, wouldn't be the only typo in the program since I could swear Quondam was over in 23 seconds.

/David