This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Pacific Northwest Ballet at the Joyce Theater

The company has circulated this press release

Pacific Northwest Ballet TOURS TO NEW YORK AS PART OF THE JOYCE THEATER’S FALL/wINTER SEASON

January 5 – 10, 2010

Tue–Wed 7:30pm

Thu–Sat 8pm

Sat–Sun 2pm

SEATTLE, WA — The Joyce Theater has announced that Pacific Northwest Ballet will be coming to New York City with seven performances January 5 – 10, 2010, as part of The Joyce Theater’s fall/winter season. PNB will present the East Coast premieres of two works recently choreographed for the company by Twyla Tharp and Benjamin Millepied; The program will also include works by Marco Goecke and Edwaard Liang. These performances mark Pacific Northwest Ballet’s debut at The Joyce Theatre.

The Joyce Theater Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization, has served the dance community and its audiences since 1982. One of the only theaters built by dancers for dance, The Joyce Theater has provided an intimate and elegant New York home for more than 300 domestic and international companies. The Joyce has also commissioned more than 130 new dances since 1992. In 1996, The Joyce created Joyce SoHo, a dance center providing highly subsidized rehearsal and performance space to hundreds of dance artists. The Joyce Theater now features an annual season of approximately 48 weeks with over 340 performances for audiences in excess of 135,000.

PNB’s program line-up at The Joyce will include:

Opus 111

Choreography: Twyla Tharp

Music: Johannes Brahms

Premiere: September 25, 2008; Pacific Northwest Ballet

3 Movements

Choreography: Benjamin Millepied

Music: Steven Reich

Premiere: November 6, 2008; Pacific Northwest Ballet

Mopey

Choreography: Marco Goecke

Music: C.P.E. Bach and The Cramps

Premiere: March 16, 2004; Peter Boal and Company (New York)

PNB Premiere: November 3, 2005

Für Alina

Choreography: Edwaard Liang

Music: Arvo Pärt

Premiere: September 16, 2006; New Ballet Choreographers (New York)

PNB Premiere: March 13, 2008

For more information, visit the < http://www.pnb.org/Press/Releases/2009Joyce_tour.pdf >Joyce Theatre press release.

The program couldn't be more NY-based unless "Mopey" was replaced by "State of Darkness", which was performed last year at the Joyce and is significantly longer. Tharp, Millepied, and Liang are all known entities to NYC audiences, and getting an original Tharp was a coup. (I preferred her "Afternoon Ball", another commission, but that's me.) The works are the right size for the Joyce, they should appeal to both the type of younger audience that Boal is trying to develop in Seattle as well as the NYCB audience, and they fit well into the Joyce season programming. I would guess that the former NYCB contingent will perform if healthy: Carla Korbes was original cast in the Tharp and William Lin-Yee in the Millepied. (I don't remember how the Orzas were cast, and Miranda Weese retired last season.) This was very intelligent programming for the venue. Were the company performing at City Center, I'd expect the company's stellar Balanchine.

This is not the misstep of bringing "Jardi Tancat" to last year's Ballet Across America series at the Kennedy Center. The pieces are highly representative of the type of work that Boal is bringing to PNB; the Duato piece was brought in by Russell and Stowell. PNB will perform Millepied's "3 Movements" again at the 2010 Ballet Across America (along with a yet-to-be-announced work from Ballet Arizona and Morphoses in "Fool's Paradise"). "Mopey" is not a great piece of dance, but it's a fine vehicle for seeing (once) wonderful PNB men (and it's thankfully short), especially for the first time. I've never seen the Liang.

Here is Alastair Macaulay's preview in The New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/01/arts/dan...look-dance.html

In the video, the first section features Carrie Imler and Jonathan Porretta in Opus 111 (Tharp), the second features Jeffrey Stanton and, I think, Louise Nadeau in Liang's Fur Alina -- Imler and Bold had the premiere and were in the reviews -- and the third, back to the Tharp with Ariana Lallone and Stanko Milov, both of whom are in the photo in the Macaulay preview.

Leigh's piece was published in today's edition, at least on the website:

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/thea...LZ1KG43A76rSusL

Little wonder, then, that Boal's on everyone's short list for taking over New York City Ballet if and when Peter Martins retires. (Martins is 62.)

Whether that's his goal or not, Boal won't say.

"I love New York, and I love Seattle," he tells The Post. "I've been pleased with the opportunities I've had here, and right now I'm savoring those."

Check out his work this week at the Joyce. It may just be a sneak preview of New York's dance future.

Gia Kourlas previews the company in today's New York Times, with quotes from Ariana Lallone and Carla Korbes; the article confirms that Korbes will dance in "Fur Alina", "Opus 111", and "3 Movements" ("he will appear in all the works except 'Mopey'")

On his philosophy of programming:

Mr. Boal likes to broaden the focus from individual pieces to a choreographer’s body of work, as he has also done with ballets by Jerome Robbins and Christopher Wheeldon, for audiences as well as dancers. “The idea is so that they can really discuss, as with Robbins, how ‘In the Night’ differs from ‘Fancy Free’ and what are their similarities?” he said. “Once the choreographers become the box office draw, the abilities that you have for programming are endless.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/05/arts/dance/05ballet.html

This list doesn't tell which dancers are dancing which nights, but it does at least list all the dancers that will perform each piece:

http://seattledances.blogspot.com/2010/01/...ur-casting.html

P.S. Seattle Dances is an excellent website here in Seattle for finding information and reviews of nearly everything dance in the Northwest. It is run by Rosie Gaynor.

P.P.S. ......and do yourself a favor and see the video interview with Barry Kerollis at the end of the posting. Barry is one of PNB's bright upcoming stars (IMHO). He has a grace and power and commitment that stands out.

Thank you for the link, Sandy! Korbes is going to be very busy.

I agree about Sar: he was fantastic in "3 Movements", and I was hoping NYC would get a chance to see his "Mopey". There's the tie-in with the film about him, too. (Did I just say that? Once a marketing weasel, always a marketing weasel...)

One thing about the men cast in "Mopey": Griffiths was almost unrecognizable in it. Porretta and Moore are much more than "Mopey", but we'd seen glimpses of their "Mopey" in other works.

I'm glad to see Ricard Orza is cast in the Tharp. I'm still disappointed that NYC won't see Nakamura, who has ties to SAB :)

Korbes is going to be very busy.

I've read the phrase "Prodigal Son Returns" at least once in relation to Peter Boal taking PNB to NYC. It's also a bit of "Prodigal Daughter" too :)

They ran off and wasted their talents and are now returning home broken, begging for forgiveness and menial employment just to survive? :huh:

Korbes is going to be very busy.

I've read the phrase "Prodigal Son Returns" at least once in relation to Peter Boal taking PNB to NYC. It's also a bit of "Prodigal Daughter" too :)

They ran off and wasted their talents and are now returning home broken, begging for forgiveness and menial employment just to survive? :huh:

Don't. Even. Think. About. It. (:D)

They ran off and wasted their talents and are now returning home broken, begging for forgiveness and menial employment just to survive?

Indeed! Seattle, as is well known, is a hot bed of hedonism. I'm sure the company is finding it nice to kick back in NYC for a little R&R after the intensity of life in the Pacific Northwest! :)

They ran off and wasted their talents and are now returning home broken, begging for forgiveness and menial employment just to survive?

Indeed! Seattle, as is well known, is a hot bed of hedonism. I'm sure the company is finding it nice to kick back in NYC for a little R&R after the intensity of life in the Pacific Northwest! :)

Smart opinion about dance, and updated parables. I love this place. :huh:

They ran off and wasted their talents and are now returning home broken, begging for forgiveness and menial employment just to survive? :bow:
I'm still pretty bitter about the waste of Korbes when she was with NYCB, but that page has been turned. These days, just reading about her triumphs on the opposite coast, where I can't see them :) , is more gratifying than wondering why Carla's not dancing or why she's still in the corps.

Here are the casting dates for the Joyce, according to Playbill:

Opus 111: Lindsi Dec (Jan. 6, 8, 10), Chalnessa Eames, Rachel Foster, Carrie Imler, Carla Korbes, Ariana Lallone (Jan. 5, 7, 9 mat, 9 eve), Sarah Ricard Orza.

Batkhurel Bold, Karel Cruz (Jan. 6, 8, 10), Barry Kerollis, Stanko Milov (Jan. 5, 7, 9 mat, 9 eve), James Moore, Jonathan Poretta, Lucien Postlewaite

Fur Alina: Carla Korbes & Karel Cruz (Jan. 5, 7, 8, 9 eve)

Rachel Foster & Batkhurel Bold (Jan. 6, 9 mat, 10)

Mopey: James Moore (Jan. 5, 8, 10)

Benjamin Griffiths (Jan. 6, 9 mat)

Jonathan Porretta (Jan. 7, 9 eve)

3 Movements

Carla Korbes, Batkhurel Bold

Lindsi Dec, Chalnessa Eames, Rachel Foster, Laura Gilbreath, Benjamin Griffiths, William Lin-Yee, Stanko Milov, James Moore, Leah O'Connor, Sara Ricard Orzo, Seth Orza, Lucien Postlewaite, Lesley Rausch, Jerome Tisserand

(For 3 Movements, no substitutions planned)

Lucky me, I got the only Korbes three-fer!

I read this as Korbes doing all six performances of "Opus 111" and "3 Movements" and four of seven for "Fur Alina". Am I losing it even more than usual?

This may be the case, since they aren't taking the full company to NYC. I don't remember off the top of my head if Krobes was double cast with anyone for that part, and if so, who. Anyone here recall?