5 replies to this topic

#1 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:09 PM

Rachel Maddow gave a lovely, cogent speech on dance and arts appreciation at Jacob's Pillow:

I know nothing about dance. I am a fan. I am a fan of dance and of Jacobís Pillow and a fan of people who know nothing about dance going to see dance.

It is a service to our country, and sometimes it is heroic service to our country, to fight for the United States of America to have the capacity to nurture artistic greatness.

#2 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 04:33 AM

Another reason to admire Rachel Maddow - well done! Would that those in political power were listening.

#3 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:22 AM

Thank you for that, Leigh! Of course, one has wild dreams that Ms. Maddow's fans and followers (does she tweet?) will all dash up to jacob's Pillow.

Dan Rather is (or was) a ballet fan. He frequently attended Kennedy Center ballet performances when he was based in Washington. So did quite a few Senators and Cabinet members of the '80s and early '90s. Didn't help.

#4 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:04 AM

I know nothing about dance. I am a fan. I am a fan of dance and of Jacobís Pillow and a fan of people who know nothing about dance going to see dance.

That's a great line. And a great point of view. I hope that others who are in the same position will begin speaking up.

#5 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:10 AM

That's a great line. And a great point of view. I hope that others who are in the same position will begin speaking up.

It is indeed a very nice line. She's very articulate, and does a good job of projecting enthusiasm for the topic at hand.

#6 LiLing

LiLing

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:10 PM

I became a huge Rachel Maddow fan during the Long run up to the elections. Now I know she is indeed a kindred spirit.
What an inspiring speech, especially so coming from someone not involved in the arts. :dunno: I sometimes feel real despair at the lack of understanding of the value of serious art in this country!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):