This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Rachel Maddow on dance

Rachel Maddow gave a lovely, cogent speech on dance and arts appreciation at Jacob's Pillow:

I know nothing about dance. I am a fan. I am a fan of dance and of Jacob’s Pillow and a fan of people who know nothing about dance going to see dance.
It is a service to our country, and sometimes it is heroic service to our country, to fight for the United States of America to have the capacity to nurture artistic greatness.

Thank you for that, Leigh! Of course, one has wild dreams that Ms. Maddow's fans and followers (does she tweet?) will all dash up to jacob's Pillow.

Dan Rather is (or was) a ballet fan. He frequently attended Kennedy Center ballet performances when he was based in Washington. So did quite a few Senators and Cabinet members of the '80s and early '90s. Didn't help.

I know nothing about dance. I am a fan. I am a fan of dance and of Jacob’s Pillow and a fan of people who know nothing about dance going to see dance.
That's a great line. And a great point of view. I hope that others who are in the same position will begin speaking up.
That's a great line. And a great point of view. I hope that others who are in the same position will begin speaking up.

It is indeed a very nice line. She's very articulate, and does a good job of projecting enthusiasm for the topic at hand.

I became a huge Rachel Maddow fan during the Long run up to the elections. Now I know she is indeed a kindred spirit.

What an inspiring speech, especially so coming from someone not involved in the arts. :dunno: I sometimes feel real despair at the lack of understanding of the value of serious art in this country!