This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

British Pathe NewsArchive footage of ballet in the newsa

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:02 PM

speaking of Grey, does everyone believe it is she in the GISELLE clip? to me - and i never saw her live - it doesn't look much like her but i suppose it could be the hairstyle etc.

#17 leonid17

leonid17

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:10 PM

speaking of Grey, does everyone believe it is she in the GISELLE clip? to me - and i never saw her live - it doesn't look much like her but i suppose it could be the hairstyle etc.

You are quite right it is not Beryl Grey.

#18 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:25 AM

I wonder if these are in fact Liane Dayde and Michel Renault, who danced with the Bolshoi shortly after Beryl Grey was there?

There's a newspaper report from the time on Dayde's website.

#19 leonid17

leonid17

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:12 AM

I wonder if these are in fact Liane Dayde and Michel Renault, who danced with the Bolshoi shortly after Beryl Grey was there?

There's a newspaper report from the time on Dayde's website.

Well spotted Jane.
Renault is familiar to me from the Serge Lido books and I checked Dayde with postcards rg posted last year.
If you compare the costumes in the film to those shown in the newspaper, there is a match. Dayde's coloured skirt does not show very well in the newspaper photograph as it is such a bad print.

#20 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:32 PM

Here is a video that I don't believe has been listed in previous posts :

[size=4]Margot Fontaine and Rudolf Nureyev video newsreel film[/size]

http://www.britishpa...d.php?id=100143

#21 CM

CM

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:16 PM

I believe that it is Liane Dayde who is talking about her performances at the Bolshoi at the end of the clip attached. It starts with some rehearsal footage, maybe with Nina Vyroubova? of the Marquis De Cuevas' production of Sleeping Beauty and includes the last (short) interview given by le Marquis de Cuevas (with Liane and her partner). Le Marquis de Cuevas died very shortly afterwards.

http://www.rts.ch/ar...use-etoile.html

The Albrecht in the British Pathe film discussed above (Beryl Grey in Giselle at the Bolshoi) looks very like Liane Dayde's partner from this film - maybe it is Liane in both clips?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):