• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#211 koshka

koshka

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

At some theaters (maybe at the Kennedy Center), the standard announcement is to turn off "anything that beeps or glows".
My preferred (and subscription) seats are in the front row, so I rarely have glowing devices in my field of view, but I can imagine that it would be very distracting.

The problem of phones that come back to life to sound alarms even if they are "off" is a difficult one. I know we should all know how to control our devices, but (alas) the reality is that many of us now have more than one of these devices, and they get replaced annually. Most people I know, including the very tech-savvy and conscientious, have been caught by surprise by a new device...but usually only once! It's just really unfortunate if that once is in an auditorium. :-(

The problem of those who are avoidably and inconsiderately noisy or distracting is easier to solve technically, but harder to solve practically.

Finally, as for clothing--I do love to see people all dressed up, but I'm not there to see them, I'm there to see the show.

#212 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:47 PM

I don't think I've been to a live performance recently (either Broadway or ballet) where I wasn't bothered by the lights from at least one person's cell phone. I'd steal a look and there they'd be merrily tweeting or texting away. Okay, it's marginally better than talking on a cell phone, but it's still very annoying in a darkened theater. Why do any of us in the audience have to put up with this? Could theaters have a rule that anyone texting or talking on their cellphone will be given one warning, then removed from the theater? Is that legal to do? America is becoming a society where more and more people only see their own needs and wants. They seem to have less and less idea how to get along with everyone else.

Problem is that often ushers are volunteers who are like you and me...not really wanting to get into an argument b/c nowadays people have no shame. You tell them to please take phone conversation outside, and they curse you out and go back to talking. Ushers are supposed to handle things like this but here in Florida they are often over 60 and not equipped physically or mentally to deal with belligerent people and they don't get paid so they often look the other way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):