This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Which Ballets should I really "know"....I mean to REALLY stu

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:09 AM

The word "study" in regards to ballet performances was the key to me suggesting videos. Of course, you have to see live performances. But a live performance won't allow you to reverse and see a phrase again or immediately compare it to another performance or another interpretation. With a DVD, I might focus on a specific execution of a step. In live performances, I often ignore those things in order to take in the complete performance. I can also read, for example, a review of Croce on The Four Temperaments and then watch nearly the same cast to bring her points home in an immediate way.

That said, if you can take in as many live performances, especially by top companies performing excellent repertoire, do so.

#17 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:57 AM

And even if one is pretty used to certain ballets, having seen them many times live, we're still get amazed at some videos that we find here and there. Just look at the many responses the short clip of Kirkland in Giselle generated. And BTW, linking the clip to that other thread of which variations does one pay close attention, Gelsey's clip would be an EXCELLENT choice to watch a beautiful Spesivtseva's solo-(sans the diagonal).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):