This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Corella Ballet Castilla y León

Corella Ballet Castilla y León, premiered in Peralada three new works.

The first one was Ángel Corella first choreography, String Sextet. The sole string sextet composed by Tchaikovsky is a score full of melodies, harmonies and charming rhythms, inspired by the beautiful city of Florence. Corella’s ballet is structured in four movements. I truly think he has a great future as choreographer. I loved it very much and find it very new and musical with very innovative Port de Bras and Portées. I liked the way the Corps was organized, the Pas de Deux he has created for his principal dancers, and of course his solo. Principal dancers were Kazuko Omori and Yevgen Uzlenkov (first pdd), Carmen Corella and Ian Mackay (second pdd) and Adyaris Almeida and Fernando Bufala (third pdd). It is about a ballet full of energy, with influences of Balanchine and with very beautiful dresses. I do not know who the designer is. It seemed to me that one could recognize different ballets on it but under a different approach. I specially loved Adiarys Almeida and Fernando Bufalá, part, he is so musical! They were both so great! And Ángel’s solo was amazing. Audience, even knowing him and his incredible way of dancing, got astonished. The pity is that I’m pretty sure they did not have enough time to rehearse because one noticed some mismatch at the Corps, very young dancers all of them, but with time it would be a very beautiful ballet.

I discovered Christopher Weeldon’s, VIII. This was my preferred piece of the night. So elegant, so real, Carmen Corella, was so moving. One felt her pain and despair when noticing his husband abandoning her by a charming Ana Bolena (Adiarys Almeida). Ian was a great and handsome Enrique VIII, he was on stage all the ballet long, with his so fine bearing, bringing to the role the emotions of that so well known king’s history. And what I liked it very much was the divertissement danced by the three amazing Fernando Bufala, Kirill Radev and Yevgen Uzlenkov, together with Kazuko Omori. They brought moments of fresh air on that daunting atmosphere. The Corps was here at their top. Perfect lighting, very beautiful dresses too and an imaginative staging.

And finally Jerome Robbins’ Fancy Free, I guess you all know this ballet (probably VIII too) but it was never staged in Spain. I think that Ángel got very famous when just arrived in NY dancing the role of one of the sailors, the one that in Peralda was danced by Herman Cornejo (uuauu, how good he is!). Ángel danced the second, the ingenuous one, and Ian Mackay (who danced the three ballets) was the last one. Girls were Adiarys Almeida, flirting and funny, Asley Ellis who brought her high class behaviour on stage and Carmen was the last one, the one who makes the three sailors leave the stage running after her.

After their Bayadère at the Liceu, with exquisite dancer Alina Cojocaru as guest star partnering Ángel Corella, Catalan audience could realize what they have lost. This company should be hosted in a community as Catalunya and in a city like Barcelona. They showed that they deserve this and Catalan ballet lovers too, as we are many. We still are dreaming that one day our politics will understand how much this company could bring in many aspects. I do not know if this could still be possible but I do not stop to dream about it and fight for it.

Thank you for the review, Carolina!

Pity I missed that representation due to work concerns. :(

As you saw Ivan Vassiliev in action past Tuesday, how do you assess his dancing in comparison with Corella's?

With respect to what Corella Ballet deserves, I think they don't deserve the unpleasantnesses that come from being associated to a state-run theater in Spain, as Spanish arts politics -both national, and regional- are kind of botched up beyond all recognition (BUBAR :wub: ). They do deserve govt grants, obviously, but without political hacks meddling.

Sure the youngish dancers don't like to being "marooned" in the countryside, but it's a healthy life after all. And Segovia countryside is beautiful. :D

Thanks so mucy, carolinam, for that report. We all appreciate the way you are increasing awareness here about the Corella Ballet. I hope that Corella's String Sextet comes to the United States at some point.

VIII is something I have wanted to see very much. I did a quick search for it on Ballet Talk and found nothing after the ABT performances in the fall 2004 season. Carmen Corella was Katherine then, too, with Xiomara Reyes as Anne. Marcello Gomes was the King. Posters here seemed to enjoy it. I'm glad it has found a new life in Spain. With the great popularity of Tudor films (including Henry VIII), books, etc., I should think that this would attract a big audience here.

After their Bayadère at the Liceu, with exquisite dancer Alina Cojocaru as guest star partnering Ángel Corella, Catalan audience could realize what they have lost. This company should be hosted in a community as Catalunya and in a city like Barcelona. They showed that they deserve this and Catalan ballet lovers too, as we are many. We still are dreaming that one day our politics will understand how much this company could bring in many aspects. I do not know if this could still be possible but I do not stop to dream about it and fight for it.
I sympathize with your frustrations about the politics and other issues, and I hope that the powers who control such things will start listening to you and those who agree with you.. Please tell us as soon as fotoescena's coverage is available.

http://www.fotoescena.net/09/index.html

Thanks so mucy, carolinam, for that report. We all appreciate the way you are increasing awareness here about the Corella Ballet. I hope that Corella's String Sextet comes to the United States at some point.

It will. :o From City Center's website:

CORELLA BALLET
CASTILLA Y LEÓN

March 17 - 20, 2010

On Sale Sep. 8

Corella Ballet
Castilla y León
will make its U.S. debut with four performances that will feature the U.S. premier of
String Sextet
, Angel Corella's first choreography, performed to music by Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky. The four-performance engagement will feature three other pieces to be announced.

As you saw Ivan Vassiliev in action past Tuesday, how do you assess his dancing in comparison with Corella's?

Vassiliev seems to be from another world, I had never seen what he did that day at D.Q. pdd. But I can not give you an accurate replay as I have not seen him dancing a whole ballet. He can be “winning” in terms of virtuosity, there is nobody doing what he does, but what about interpretation?, charisma?

With respect to what Corella Ballet deserves, I think they don't deserve the unpleasantnesses that come from being associated to a state-run theater in Spain, as Spanish arts politics -both national, and regional- are kind of botched up beyond all recognition (BUBAR ). They do deserve govt grants, obviously, but without political hacks meddling.

Sure the youngish dancers don't like to being "marooned" in the countryside, but it's a healthy life after all. And Segovia countryside is beautiful.

I’m afraid that without the help of the government (any but with funds enough or willing to fund them enough) it would be very difficult to survive. The amount they are receiving from both the Spanish and Castilla y León governments do not allow them to look at the future with the tranquility they should.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I think that they need to be supported by a richer community. Also a clear support from the Royal Family would help the company very much.

Furthermore, do not forget that Ángel first wish was to settle in Catalunya, this is why I’m still keeping on fighting and will never stop as far as I think there is a little hope.

I think it will, at least according to this article String Sextet is on the program for the City Center in March 17 - 20.

VIII is something I have wanted to see very much. I did a quick search for it on Ballet Talk and found nothing after the ABT performances in the fall 2004 season. Carmen Corella was Katherine then, too, with Xiomara Reyes as Anne. Marcello Gomes was the King. Posters here seemed to enjoy it very much. I'm glad it has found a new life in Spain. With the great popularity of Tudor films (including Henry VIII), books, etc., I should think that this would attract a big audience here.

Thanks!! I too agree with you that the popularity of the story is very convenient. I didn’t know that it has not been staged since so long. It surprises me as it is really, really, nice.

Maybe CB will also bring it at C.C.

I sympathize with your frustrations about the politics and other issues, and I hope that the powers who control such things will start listening to you and those who agree with you.. Please tell us as soon as fotoescena's coverage is available.

http://www.fotoescena.net/09/index.html

Thanks a lot! As I told, I think that their future depends on receiving more funds and support from important organizations. And, as Catalan and because I know they would have liked it very much to be in Catalonia, I still have hope for that to be done. We are many in Catalonia doing as much as we can. I have nothing against them being in La Granja, as far as they exist and are able to survive but I thing that it’s not the best place to be, at least not for the Company.

Thanks also for your interest in a report at fotoescena but it will be not, I’m afraid, not about Peralada at least.

----------------------------------------

Yes carbro :o Thanks! I saved my replay yesterday and I'm attaching it as it was. I'm on holidays and have very few conection here, everybody using the wifi I guess and very difficul to post.

Vassiliev seems to be from another world, I had never seen what he did that day at D.Q. pdd. But I can not give you an accurate replay as I have not seen him dancing a whole ballet. He can be “winning” in terms of virtuosity, there is nobody doing what he does, but what about interpretation?, charisma?

Ivan Vasilev, in my opinion, has a great stage presence, especially when considering his age (how old is he? 21?)

I saw him live for the fist time, in Don Quixote, in December 2007 in Turin and I was really surprised by his charisma. He was dancing with Osipova and matching her perfectly. The theater went totally mad.

Considering full length ballets, I’ve seen him also in Flames de Paris, Fille mal Gardée, Corsaire and Giselle. As Albrecht he didn’t impressed me that much, but it’s a tough role for such a young man, and also as Colas (but for me, in this case it’s more a “Bolshoi problem” – and Paris Opera too-: they just seems, to my taste, to not have the right comical timing for that ballet… it’s surprising because the company is amazingly funny in the Bright Stream, for example), but in the other roles he was great.

He is one of the very few male dancers I’d travel for. With that incredible virtuosity (well controlled, has to be said!), he can be amazing in galas, of course, but it’s well worth to watch him in longer things.

On the other side, I think that Corella is fantastic in galas, being a great at firing up the crowd, more than in full length ballets.

Gracias for posting your impressions and review of the Peralada Festival and debuts. The choice of repertoire there and elsewhere recently shows considerable range for the company, and the very astute mind of its AD. I would have liked to have been there, but have other committments with which you, et.al., are familiar.

Otherwise, my only comment is... "Merde a tous..."

(Carolina will understand that--and the unmentioned "les..." which hasn't changed.)