This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Your Favourite Male Dancer/Dancers

Nanarina

Rudolf Nureyev for his intensity and commitment to the art. Anthony Dowell for his elegant line. I know there is some video out there of his solo variation from Act 1 of Swan Lake that I thought was beautiful. I also admired Laurent Hilaire for his elegant virtuosity.

Well, if we can name more than one..... Anthony Dowell for his lines and his lyricism. Arne Villumsen for the richness and control of his dancing. Ib Andersen for his speed and centeredness. I liked Hilaire too, although I didn't see much of him, and Legris had an extraordinary range.

For me, Erik Bruhn set the model of great male classical dancing. I didn't see him often enough in classical roles for me to call him a favorite (just twice when I was a child) -- but I believe he greatly influenced my taste, especially in male dancers.

Anthony Dowell was my "favorite"--the one who moved me most deeply, the one who I was most excited to see, the one who simply seemd the most beautiful to me--and I have wonderful memories of him in a wide range of roles. He brought great imagination and poetic details to his portrayals, notably Siegfried and Romeo, as well as a silky, elegant quality of movement and the pure beauty of line that everyone has mentioned. To invoke just two roles that he created: he seems so far (as Alexandra has noted elsewhere) irreplaceable as Beliaev in Ashton's Month in the Country; I also rememer that when I finally saw him in Tudor's Shadowplay (having seen Baryshnikov in the role) I found the ballet's riddling character became less opaque, more suggestive and wondrous. He truly seemed to inhabit its world. I also appreciated his partnering abilities and his ability to establish truly unique and extraordinary partnerships with two very different ballerinas -- Sibley and Makarova. He was also wonderful with Kirkland when I saw them in Nutcracker.

I will say that as Albrecht (which was, oddly, one role in which I didn't much care for Dowell the one time I saw him dance it), I found Nureyev incomparably greater than any other dancer I have seen.

I have admired and enjoyed many others, several of whom I considered (and consider) genuinely great dancers, but Bruhn and Dowell hold a special place in my pantheon.

Following on from the Malakhov and "is it important for male dancers to be tall" threads, I have realised that all my favourite male dancers have fallen into the medium to short category. I think it's because I like dancers who are deft on their feet and smaller dancers seem to more fit into this mold.

I loved watching Koen Onzia dance (LFB/ENB). I think, although I only saw him perform the role once, that he is still my favourite Lensky. I also adored him as the prisoner in Swansong and the Poet in Cruel Garden.

Daniel de Andrade (NBT) seemed such a complete dancer and had a wonderful stage presence. He was fabulous as Jose in Didy Veldman's Carmen. I loved his footwork as Hilarion in Michael Pink's Giselle (he was also a very fine Albrecht) and as for his Pinkerton...... My friend and I were at a performance in Sadler's Wells. At the end of Act 1, Pinkerton carries Butterfly into the house. The line of Daniel's arms and back was so beautiful that we both burst into tears!

I have adored watching Chi Cao dance since the day he joined BRB. It has been a privilege watching him grow into such a wonderful artist. Not only does he have a wonderful classical technique but he acts beautifully too. I always remember seeing one of his early performances as Romeo when he was visibly crying after he had killed Tybalt and realised the enormity of what he had done. He was also magnificent as Beenstock in Hobson's Choice. He really entered into the spirit of the comedy masterpiece and looked as though he enjoyed the wedding cake at every performance! Everyone will be able to enjoy something of his talent when the film of Mao's Last Dancer is released later in the year.

I came to ballet watching to late to see Nureyev at his peak but have been watching long enough to have seen JM Carreno, Bocca and M. Guerra as whippersnappers at ENB.

Considering only those who are no longer dancing, my favourite - the most rewarding, the one I'd book tickets for first - was David Wall, because of his unfailing engagement with what he was doing, his transparent honesty, and his wonderful acting - he came across as a great communicator who happened to have chosen dance as his medium. It helped of course, that he was also a fine dancer and very easy on the eye.

For me, Erik Bruhn set the model of great male classical dancing. I didn't see him often enough in classical roles for me to call him a favorite (just twice when I was a child) -- but I believe he greatly influenced my taste, especially in male dancers.

For me, Erik Bruhn descended from the heights of Olympus and Soloviev appeared out of the clouds at the peak of this mountain with a deeply spiritual quality, which moves me as I write and think about him.

Many of the dancers mentioned so far were/are more than admirable.

On video, Yuri Soloviev, for the richness, vibrancy, and strength that surrounded his gorgeous technique.

Vladimir Vasiliev, even if the only thing I'd ever seen him in was the coaching session with Monique Lourdieres in Act I of "Giselle" in patent leather shoes or with Eric Vu Ann in "Le Corsaire".

Edited to add: How could I have forgotten Gedeminas Taranda? That was charismatic dancing.

Live, Ib Andersen, for the intelligence and rightness his interpretations, all in dance terms, which made me forget his technique.

Bart Cook for his tension, timing, and the fluidity in roles like Melancholic and "Stravinsky Violin Concerto". In the latter, there might as well have been no one else on the stage for me.

There are so many! But my strongest influence would be Dowell, so pure and so elegant. I was so fortunate to see him many times in The Dream (as well as in other ballets), but in that one, he just seems completely irreplaceable. (Not that I don't see that ballet as many times as I possibly can.) On the other hand, I also loved Alexander Grant for his ability to create such vivid characters; I didn't seem him when he was young, but he must have been an amazingly strong dancer. Ib Andersen, who I saw in the 1979 Bournonville Festival, and who was the perfect Carelis in Kermesse in Bruges. Of the dancers today, I would say Marcelo Gomes, for his generosity and warmth (and as Jane would say, he is easy on the eye).

There are so many!

Exactly! Which makes me :) about life -- but :) about how to respond to this thread.

i guess I'll list the dancers I saw (live) who made me look more closely and see and feel things about dancing I hadn't before.

Early days: Jacques d'Amboise, Arthur Mitchell, Michael Somes.

Middle years: Nureyev, Bujones, Mukhamedov, Bocca

Fairly recently: Marcello Gomes, Nicolas le Riche, Manuel Legris

I guess a common denominator is powerful stage presence and the capacity for conveying feeling through dance.

Edited to Add: Edward Villella. (Canbelto reminded me. How could I have forgotten?)

Today: Marcelo Gomes

In the past (on video): Rudolf Nureyev, Vladimir Vasiliev, Yuri Soloviev, Laurent Hilaire, Edward Villela*

*the few videos I have seen of him. Pity they are so rare. But every time I watch them I think "Wow, so THIS is how it's SUPPOSED to look."

The today list (not in any order)

Lucien Postlewaite -- a perfectly proportioned body; lovely technique; terrific dramatic sense tempered to each role; taste.

Astrit Zejnati -- equally great in classical and neoclassical dancing; energy, strength and refinement combined; a stylist with a bit of old world European training that never turns stuffy; taste.

Thomas Lund -- the way he moves with that stellar technique; dance Bournonville in the proper style; taste

To keep an eye on: Roman Zavarov, based on his superb "Apollo" in May.

Among those I've seen rarely, but wish I could see a lot more of (not in any order):

Sergei Polunin -- When I notice the quiet perfection of one of the six Fairy cavaliers in "Sleeping Beauty", I know I've see what I think is "it".

Vladimir Shklyarov -- He's the one man who popped for me in last spring's visit to City Center.

Andrei Merkuriev -- beautiful technique and energy in "Le Corsaire".

Guillaume Côté -- very plush movement.

Considering only those who are no longer dancing, my favourite - the most rewarding, the one I'd book tickets for first - was David Wall, because of his unfailing engagement with what he was doing, his transparent honesty, and his wonderful acting - he came across as a great communicator who happened to have chosen dance as his medium. It helped of course, that he was also a fine dancer and very easy on the eye.

JANE, I think you summed David Wall up perectly, he was a lovely guy, with his wavy aubumn hair, and beautiful eyes. He was probably one of the first english dancers that Ruddi influenced. I loved him in Fille mal Gardee, Les Deux Pigeon, and Manon. He and Alfreda his wife, were very good friends with John Sale and Merlyn Holmes. My mother was renouned for her bacon sandwiches, and we all used to come back to our house. When everyone would request them. Happy Happy memories.

I do like Baryshnikov. But my favourite is Corella, not only for his dancing but also for his commitent to recover Classical ballet in Spain.

However, yesterday I saw DQ Pas de deux live with Alexandrova and Ivan Vassiliev, and those jumps of Vassiliev, WOW!

I am another fan of Bart Cook's and Arne Villumsen's. My favorite all-time dancer guys are active today in ABT, a trio of macho latinos: Jose Carreno, Marcelo Gomes and Herman Cornejo. Carreno, who may or may not be past his peak (a couple of relatively weak seasons followed by this past, very strong one) and Gomes (perhaps the most versatile dancer I've ever known) are incredible partners, each sparking their ballerinas beyond their usual standard and lavishing them with hypnotic attention and handling them gently but securely.

Another favorite of mine was NYCB's Joe Duell, who died tragically and way too young. He was romantic and and contemporary, meaning his persona more than the genres in which he excelled. I still think of him often.

I am another fan of Bart Cook's and Arne Villumsen's. My favorite all-time dancer guys are active today in ABT, a trio of macho latinos: Jose Carreno, Marcelo Gomes and Herman Cornejo. Carreno, who may or may not be past his peak (a couple of relatively weak seasons followed by this past, very strong one) and Gomes (perhaps the most versatile dancer I've ever known) are incredible partners, each sparking their ballerinas beyond their usual standard and lavishing them with hypnotic attention and handling them gently but securely.

Another favorite of mine was NYCB's Joe Duell, who died tragically and way too young. He was romantic and and contemporary, meaning his persona more than the genres in which he excelled. I still think of him often.

I think I saw Herman Cornejo recently in Le Corsair, in London. was excellent and danced the role very well, I enjoyed his performance very much. I was quite surprised with the cast. It was a Saturday matinee, and the cast were all the top rank of dancers. I love both of the two main companies in New York.

I seem to be in a minority here, but my all-time favorite male dancer would be Alexander Godunov. I only saw him live when I was a kid, but the impact he made in every role he danced is absolutely unforgettable. What amazed me most was the sense of freedom he projected, the totally convincing illusion that everything was possible for a man capable of flying at will.

For me, nobody, just nobody compares to him, and most likely nobody ever will.

Of latter-days stars the one that I cared most for was Igor Zelensky. Probably because in many ways he's the exact opposite of Godunov.

Today my favorite dancers are Marcelo Gomes and Vladimir Shklyarov - both the epithomes of exquisite nobility and liricism.

I also must add that I'm very old fashioned and still firmly believe that ballet is first of all about the ballerina. The men are on stage primarily to help her shine :o

Since I'm most familiar with NYCB dancers, my choices are a bit biased.

Most recent past: Jock Soto.

Also loved Peter Boal, Damian Woetzel, Nicolaj Hubbe, Ethan Stiefel

I also adored Peter Martins when he was Suzanne's partner.

Currently: David Hallberg, Edward Watson (have been able to see him at the Royal, and also with Morphoses)

and Adrian Danchig-Waring.