This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

David Ashmole Principal dancer with RB and Australian Ballet dies

It is sad to report such news regarding David Ashmole, a charming man with an engaging personality. He was a former principal with the Royal Ballet, and the Australian ballet. It is reported that he was diagnosed with cancer only three months ago. In recent times he had been active as a ballet teacher. At the London Studio Centre, he was Assistant to the Director, Head of Boys and taught Pas de Deux.

I must have seen him dance more than a hundred times and he was successful in a number of leading parts and was always elegant with a very good technique that was smooth and well suited to prince type roles.

Obituary: http://www.smh.com.au/national/obituaries/...90729-e1go.html

can't recall where i acquired the attached photo, scanned now for BT, but the year '73 is handwritten on the back by me, perhaps to note the date of acquisition.

in any case, this is how i remember David Ashmole - pictured here in the Leslie Hurry-designed production of the Royal Ballet's SWAN LAKE.

post-848-1249005389_thumb.jpg

How very sad it is to hear about this. When the Australian Ballet visited the Met in 1990, he performed Albrecht in Giselle and Crassus in Spartacus. Unfortunately, I didn't see either of those performances, but I was very favourably impressed by his musical responsiveness in the company's film of The Sleeping Beauty. His vision scene is particularly excellent. May he rest in peace.

His youthfulness in the second photo is magic. It led me to the Royal's performance database. He danced Waltz (Act I) and Pas de Quatre (Act III) in this production of Swan Lake from 1971 to at least 1974. (What a marvelous resource this database is !)

http://www.rohcollections.org.uk/performan...14138&row=4

I saw him in the Pas de Quatre and remember clearly his unaffected clarity and beauty of line. As these photos partly show, he exemplified a high standard of English male classicism. Very sad news.