This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New Assistants at SFB

I posted an early version of the article last night in the Links, and the new one today. Congrats to all involved, although I am obliged to note that two guys were hired to replace another guy. No female candidates available? interested? Do try to remember the ladies, Helgi. Just saying.

Jointly, Sansom and Bustamante, both 46, have just stepped into the "ballet master and assistant to the artistic director" position vacated when Ashley Wheater became artistic director of the Joffrey Ballet in 2007. They're working on divvying up their duties ...

Two ballet masters dividing up the responsibilities of one? This should be an interesting story to follow. Thanks, DeborahB and dirac, for the link.

I posted an early version of the article last night in the Links, and the new one today. Congrats to all involved, although I am obliged to note that two guys were hired to replace another guy. No female candidates available? interested? Do try to remember the ladies, Helgi. Just saying.

Oops, sorry Dirac! I didn't think to look for last night's link, and before I sent this link I did look at today's (it wasn't up yet).

Looks like yours went up a few seconds after I started this topic (I jumped the gun...).

No worries, DeborahB. Didn't mean to sound tetchy, although I probably did. :)

It will be interesting to see how this works out, as bart notes. On the surface it looks quite flattering to Wheater, if it takes two to do his job. No doubt there will be some jostling for position, even if everyone takes pains to behave in an after-you-Alphonse manner.

The sense I got from the article was that perhaps Sansom's work will not be confined to the studio but that he may be splitting his attention between ballet-mastering and administrative duties. I inferred that perhaps Helgi may be considering him as an eventual successor.

Here's an interview with Sansom from September 2002 when he joined the Rambert Dance Company. It sounds like a big part of his job there was fundraising:

And your title is Head of Development, which is is another way of saying fundraising?

Yes. ....

What sort of objectives are you set? Are you principally raising money for specific occasions or programmes, or just getting as much money as you can?

I wouldn't like to describe it as 'getting as much money as we can'. My remit is to raise money for anything and everything that needs to be covered - be it individual productions or general operating costs, which is the hardest money to raise, as there's nothing sexy to attach the donation to. ...

As to being an AD:

Is your ultimate ambition still to be artistic director of a company?

I would love to be, in the right circumstances, but it's not the be-all and end-all for me. I think so long as I'm bringing value to an organisation, I can be happy with that. ...