• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#91 Michael

Michael

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:03 PM

It's important for the company to be able to provide performance slots to the graduating dancers from SAB. If you can't give them jobs, there's no reason for top prospects to go to the school: you won't attract them. The company will wither eventually if you can't provide those positions. In order to keep everyone who apparently wanted to stay, and also to provide apprenticeships this year, the company would actually have needed to grow.

#92 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,223 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:11 PM

If they keep cutting corps members regularly to make way for new graduates, then the graduates will know they might have a two-three-year stay instead of no job coming out of the company, and then they'd have to ask why they should go to the school when they could finish at the schools of San Francisco Ballet or Pacific Northwest Ballet or Boston Ballet, etc. and join those companies?

#93 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,223 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:36 AM

I've moved the posts about the recent NYCB contract negotiation into the following thread in the "Ballet News and Issues" forum.

http://balletalert.i...t-negotiations/

#94 Eileen

Eileen

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:40 AM

Does anyone have information on the post-NYCB dance careers of the dancers who were cut two years ago? It would be of interest to know if they landed on their (ahem) toes.

#95 Krystin

Krystin

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:08 AM

Sophie Flack has written a young adult book about ballet--check it out on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/0316126535

I haven't read it yet but have heard good things about it.

#96 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,223 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:17 AM

Matthew Renko joins PNB this fall.

#97 lovemydancers

lovemydancers

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:47 PM

Courtney Muscroft dances with BalletMet. She is lovely.

#98 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:08 PM

Matthew Renko joins PNB this fall.

He's still on the roster for Suzanne Farrell Ballet, and I hope he'll still appear with them in their short seasons.

#99 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:26 PM

Did we all see Sophie Flack (w/ Josh Charles) at the Emmy's last night? Oh, living well is the best revenge isn't it, darling? :wink:

#100 britomart

britomart

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:36 PM

Considering that most of the pics of the two of them show him grabbing her breast, I'm not sure I would qualify this as a move up in the world.

#101 Eileen

Eileen

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:23 AM

Considering that most of the pics of the two of them show him grabbing her breast, I'm not sure I would qualify this as a move up in the world.

This was a well considered publicity move by the couple. Sophie Flack needs publicity, she has not yet found a place with a company, and the photos will certainly grab the attention of ballet directors. Whether that attention will be positive for Sophie is a question. The kiss was demure enough.

#102 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:57 PM

This was a well considered publicity move by the couple. Sophie Flack needs publicity, she has not yet found a place with a company, and the photos will certainly grab the attention of ballet directors. Whether that attention will be positive for Sophie is a question. The kiss was demure enough.

I disagree. I don't think those pictures of Josh Charles being overfamiliar with her on the red carpet are anything more than they look like. She's been off the stage for 2 1/2 years and I doubt, at this point, she has any interest in going back. Even if she does, I'm sure she's smart enough to realize that talking to the press after she got fired hurt her employment chances forever more. (For the record, I think she did the right thing by talking to the press.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):