This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Karen Kain on cover of September Chatelaine

The NBoC just posted a note on their facebook page that Karen Kain is going to be on the cover of September's issue of Chatelaine (it's a Canadian women's magazine, I'm not sure if it's available in the US?). She was on the cover of the same magazine in 1973 after she appearing in "Sleeping Beauty" with Nureyev for the first time, which the company will perform again this fall.

That issue is already out. I read the magazine on the weekend. I have a quibble with the way they picture Karen. Chatelaine touts themselves as being all about showing women as they really look, and has made a point about not needing airbrushing, for example, to enhance the images of the "real women" they present. Yet, Karen Kain is airbrushed to look like a 25 to 30 year old. The pictures inside continue the myth.

In reality, Karen Kain's face is quite wrinkly and weathered in appearance, and all the more beautiful for it.

Chatelaine states on its cover "Karen Kain defines gorgeous at any age (she's 58!)". I agree wholeheartedly, but then why don't they let us see her true beauty instead of camouflaging it? Those women who have not had the privilege of seeing her in person are yet again being sold a bill of goods by leading them to believe a 58 year old must look 20-something in order to define gorgeous. It's another lie being told by a magazine that prides itself on NOT telling such lies.

Do I sound upset? :D

That issue is already out. I read the magazine on the weekend. I have a quibble with the way they picture Karen. Chatelaine touts themselves as being all about showing women as they really look, and has made a point about not needing airbrushing, for example, to enhance the images of the "real women" they present. Yet, Karen Kain is airbrushed to look like a 25 to 30 year old. The pictures inside continue the myth.

In reality, Karen Kain's face is quite wrinkly and weathered in appearance, and all the more beautiful for it.

Chatelaine states on its cover "Karen Kain defines gorgeous at any age (she's 58!)" I agree wholeheartedly, but then why don't they let us see her true beauty instead of camouflaging it? Those women who have not had the privilege of seeing her in person are yet again being sold a bill of goods by leading them to believe a 58 year old must look 20-something in order to define gorgeous. It's another lie being told by a magazine that prides itself on NOT telling such lies.

Do I sound upset? :lol:

Alas, Marga, it's standard operating procedure for most women's mags - celebrity ones, too. Periodically Vogue will publish an issue purportedly 'celebrating' aging women. (These articles will often be side by side with others informing readers about the latest in anti-wrinkle drugs and plastic surgery.) The latest one features Christy Turlington, 40, on the cover, airbrushed within an inch of her life. Turlington is ravishing even by model standards and probably needed little help, but nevertheless she got it. I suppose the mixed messages are inevitable.

Kain has the kind of bone structure that looks great forever. A really striking woman.