This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Titanic in the movies

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:22 PM

Stanwyck would eat him. And probably Webb's most convincing moment on film is the scene from "Sitting Pretty" where he dumps the oatmeal on the baby's head. :wallbash:

Garber does a beautiful job with it.

I also like the inflection he gives to the lines, "She is made of iron, sir. I assure you she can. And she will (sink)."

#17 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:02 AM

There are bits of the German "Titanic" on YouTube.

#18 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

Has anyone seen the 3D version?

#19 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

I'll stick up for the 1997 Titanic film too. I think it's still more watchable and entertaining than 99% of the "big screen epics" that are made, and the di Caprio and Winslet are both in their own way enchanting. Both have moved onto more "serious" work but there's a freshness and directness with which they act the film that is very endearing. Their chemistry is very strong, and it carries the film even through the cheesiest bits. I understand that neither di Caprio nor Winslet like to discuss Titanic because of their distaste for James Cameron, but still, it's some of their best work.

Kind of off topic but I think it's nice that di Caprio and Winslet have remained friends and even worked together in another film.

#20 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

It was a gamble back then for Cameron to go with relative unknowns from indie pictures for his leads and it paid off for him (and them) big time. He chose well - two of the most talented young actors around and of course DiCaprio's appeal for girls contributed to a lot of the picture's financial success.

DiCaprio and Winslet made "Revolutionary Road" together. An interesting choice for them and it's well worth seeing.

#21 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

and of course DiCaprio's appeal ...

Humm...for some reason DiCaprio has never made it for me neither physically -(it always looks to me as if his head/face has been compressed vertically)- or as an actor.

#22 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

His head is a little small for his body, I think - unusual among movie stars, where usually those proportions are reversed -- and his still-boyish looks can be a problem for his credibility, J. Edgar being the latest example. I don't think of him as a heartthrob but he's a very good actor. Like him or no, there's no question that his appeal fueled much of the repeat business that made Titanic great box office.

Also, it's easy to see why Rose likes him - he shows courage and comes to her rescue but there's nothing threatening or oppressive about his kind of masculinity. (I remember Russell Baker complaining at the time that he didn't have any masculinity.)

#23 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

Leo has a boyish face and persona that really works against him when he does those heavy duty biopics. I agree that J Edgar was a mistake. I think he's best when he's playing "ordinary guys" who are trying to do the right thing -- he conveys a kind of goodness and decency that really worked, for example, to make The Departed a much better film than it should have been. Same thing with Inception.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):