This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Author Frank McCourt, dead at 78

Frank McCourt, my most recent favorite author, died today. I was hooked on him as soon as I began reading Angela's Ashes. I devoured the book, watched the movie, went on to 'Tis: A Memoir and Teacher Man. When he came to a bookstore near us, I took all three books (and my daughter who loved him, too) and went to hear him speak. He autographed all three and we had a short and sweet, and thoroughly "McCourt" chat.

I am so sorry he is gone. I wasn't the only one who wanted to read more from him. Humble was his nature in public, which elevated his stature with me.

Two substantive obituaries:

Frank McCourt obituary

Frank McCourt obituary

Very sad to hear of Frank's passing. I knew him a little bit. He was very active in the local arts and spoke frequently at various functions I've been involved with throughout the years. He was a funny, funny, self-deprecating man, and a very generous one, taking a special interest in young local writers. We in this part of CT will miss him dearly.