This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2009-2010 performances

Washington, D.C.

September 19 & 20, 2009

Kennedy Center Family Theater

Lewisburg, PA

September 26, 2009

Weis Center for the Performing Arts

Bucknell University

Princeton, N.J.

October 4, 2009

McCarter Theatre

Ann Arbor, MI

October 9 & 10

University Musical Society

University of Michigan

Santa Barbara, CA

October 21, 2009

Granada Theater

University of California Santa Barbara

Berkeley, CA

October 24 & 25

Cal Performances, Zellerbach Hall

University of California, Berkeley

Washington, D.C.

March 3-7, 2010

Kennedy Center, Eisenhower Theater

Minneapolis, Minnesota

March 12 & 13,

Northrop Auditorium

University of Minnesota

Ithaca, New York

March 17, 2010

Schwartz Center for the Performing Arts

Cornell Univesity

Washington, D.C.

June 15 & 16, 2010

Ballet Across America

Kennedy Center, Opera House

A heads up if anyone is in the area and hasn't bought their tickets yet, I just bought our tickets for the Ann Arbor date and learned that all the tickets are discounted. We got an orchestra seat for $20 instead of the posted price of $48. Looks like it's for the matinee performance only.

For those of us who can't make it to Washington, it would be WONDERFUL to be able to relive the 1967 performance through the film discussed in the Tobias blog. Villella, Mitchell, Farrell, McBride, Paul, Kent, d'Amboise !!! Does anyone know whether it will be made available to the general public?

the 'story' of the MIDSUMMER film is not a simple one.

the film was actually released commercially, tho' cut still further than the final 'cut' - i know of PAL cassettes from the time, but it was never re-released for some reason - probably rights.

Arlene Croce suggested that some effort be made to find the original negative and re-master the film, but if mem. serves, the original negative could not be found.

the 'digitized' version now in the cinematheque de la danse is something of an improvement over the telecasts that found their way to television in the wake of the original release of the film in movie houses, but it must have been made from the commercially released version, b/c it's trimmed further, and the fouette sequence for Hippolyta (Govrin) is not included in this 're-mastered' version.

i can't say what it would take to present the film, as it now stands, i.e. in the version recently shown in NYC at the Walter Reade Theater and the Baryshnikov Arts Center, more widely and/or released as a commerical video, but i think the odds are not good, especially for the latter option.

post-848-1250866794_thumb.jpg