This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

You' know you've watched too many Ballet videos when you....

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:53 AM

When you receive a new DVD and you fast-forward to the 'main parts' rather than savor the entire thing from beginning to end.

In other words, many of us old timers may have amassed such big collections and/or our lives have become so busy or complicated that we may not really cherish new videos or dvds as we would have years ago. I remember 1984 or thereabouts when I purchased my first ballet video - Kolpakova in Sleeping Beauty - and I watched the entire thing in one sitting, then many times again, it meant so much. Now I find myself rushing and not savoring as before. Sometimes it's important to go back to those innocent times of quality, not quantity.

#17 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:52 PM

... doing tendus while standing at a shop counter, without realizing what you're doing.

...or standing in coupe (or once passe) to rest my ankle, or doing a swan ripple of my arm to stretch the tricep and unkink my elbow? And once, unthinking on the street, I did a battement and propped my leg on top of a box/bench/wall/fence? (sorry can't remember what it was but it was higher than my waist if not my shoulder) because I didn't feel like bending over to tie my shoe. Of course someone commented in passing.

RE: turnout: the more tired I am, the more it shows. And even though I cannot go down stairs without turning out, I still managed to almost flatten three old ladies when I tripped. (Did I mention I'm a klutz when not in a studio?)

I haven't managed to hit a rewind button yet, but several times have tried to hit "pause".

#18 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,516 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:20 PM

You have so many that when a DVD is re-released with new cover art, it would take you too long to see if you actually have it before you order it :wub:

#19 sandik

sandik

Diamonds Circle

• 5,716 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:16 PM

You have so many that when a DVD is re-released with new cover art, it would take you too long to see if you actually have it before you order it :wub:

Expand this to include books and I'll raise my hand as well.

#20 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,397 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:52 PM

...when, while watching a famous variation from a newly acquired DVD-(or a recently uploaded clip)-.you have a deja-vu: "Oh, I've seen THIS variation danced just like that...Oh, I know !...19( )..production of (ballet's name) with (dancer's name) by (company's name)". Oh, and then it doesn't take you more than a couple of seconds to know right away...

#21 Wedgewes

Wedgewes

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:09 PM

...when you have only been into ballet for 6 months yet have already spent $1000 dollars on dvds. :wink: :)

#22 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:54 AM

...when you have only been into ballet for 6 months yet have already spent $1000 dollars on dvds.

Welcome to the club :D

#23 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,516 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:58 PM

...when you have only been into ballet for 6 months yet have already spent $1000 dollars on dvds. :jawdrop: :D

The downside is how few videos there really are... You know you've watched too many videos when your wish list includes $5000 more...

#24 Wedgewes

Wedgewes

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:53 PM

...when you have only been into ballet for 6 months yet have already spent $1000 dollars on dvds. :jawdrop: :P

The downside is how few videos there really are... You know you've watched too many videos when your wish list includes $5000 more...

I can agree with that. I could always use a couple dozen more Giselles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):