This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

You' know you've watched too many Ballet videos when you....

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:53 AM

When you receive a new DVD and you fast-forward to the 'main parts' rather than savor the entire thing from beginning to end.

In other words, many of us old timers may have amassed such big collections and/or our lives have become so busy or complicated that we may not really cherish new videos or dvds as we would have years ago. I remember 1984 or thereabouts when I purchased my first ballet video - Kolpakova in Sleeping Beauty - and I watched the entire thing in one sitting, then many times again, it meant so much. Now I find myself rushing and not savoring as before. Sometimes it's important to go back to those innocent times of quality, not quantity.

#17 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:52 PM

... doing tendus while standing at a shop counter, without realizing what you're doing.

...or standing in coupe (or once passe) to rest my ankle, or doing a swan ripple of my arm to stretch the tricep and unkink my elbow? And once, unthinking on the street, I did a battement and propped my leg on top of a box/bench/wall/fence? (sorry can't remember what it was but it was higher than my waist if not my shoulder) because I didn't feel like bending over to tie my shoe. Of course someone commented in passing.

RE: turnout: the more tired I am, the more it shows. And even though I cannot go down stairs without turning out, I still managed to almost flatten three old ladies when I tripped. (Did I mention I'm a klutz when not in a studio?)

I haven't managed to hit a rewind button yet, but several times have tried to hit "pause".

#18 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:20 PM

You have so many that when a DVD is re-released with new cover art, it would take you too long to see if you actually have it before you order it :wub:

#19 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,646 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:16 PM

You have so many that when a DVD is re-released with new cover art, it would take you too long to see if you actually have it before you order it :wub:

Expand this to include books and I'll raise my hand as well.

#20 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:52 PM

...when, while watching a famous variation from a newly acquired DVD-(or a recently uploaded clip)-.you have a deja-vu: "Oh, I've seen THIS variation danced just like that...Oh, I know !...19( )..production of (ballet's name) with (dancer's name) by (company's name)". Oh, and then it doesn't take you more than a couple of seconds to know right away...

#21 Wedgewes

Wedgewes

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:09 PM

...when you have only been into ballet for 6 months yet have already spent $1000 dollars on dvds. :wink: :)

#22 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:54 AM

...when you have only been into ballet for 6 months yet have already spent $1000 dollars on dvds.

Welcome to the club :D

#23 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:58 PM

...when you have only been into ballet for 6 months yet have already spent $1000 dollars on dvds. :jawdrop: :D

The downside is how few videos there really are... You know you've watched too many videos when your wish list includes $5000 more...

#24 Wedgewes

Wedgewes

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:53 PM

...when you have only been into ballet for 6 months yet have already spent $1000 dollars on dvds. :jawdrop: :P

The downside is how few videos there really are... You know you've watched too many videos when your wish list includes $5000 more...

I can agree with that. I could always use a couple dozen more Giselles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):