This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

You' know you've watched too many Ballet videos when you....

...when you're with close friends-( all guilty of your same obsession)- and you all end up mocking Alonso's/Giselle's entrance choreography which you all know by heart...( and not Albrecht's BUT Giselle's :wink: ).

Edited to add: Another popular alternative is also Alonso's Black Swan coda... :o

...try to walk turned out....when no one is looking.

...try to walk turned out...and HOPE someone is looking and that they'll think you're a dancer :o

OMG! This is SOOOOOOOOO true, bart!! :wink:

Cristian, I think you mean Peggy. But I confess to having done this too. Not to mention trying a bit of the "brooding Prince walk," which I first learned from videos of Erik Bruhn.

...try to walk turned out...and HOPE someone is looking and that they'll think you're a dancer :)

OMG! This is SOOOOOOOOO true, bart!! :wink:

Cristian, I think you mean Peggy. But I confess to having done this too. Not to mention trying a bit of the "brooding Prince walk," which I first learned from videos of Erik Bruhn.

Well...now I know I'm officially falling asleep...Dear bart, I SWEAR I saw your name on that post (It's a good thing when the boss is not around, right...? :lol: )

Anyway, and to add to the matters of the turned out walking, is even more gratifying if is at the night at the ballet, and EVEN MORE if the cute old lady asks you: "are you a dancer...?" :P

(Am I sounding too ridiculous...? :o )

You are at the ballet and you try to rewind to watch a really good bit again....
:( Oh, dear! I've totally incorporated that reflex. Everytime I miss someone's word in casual conversation, whenever I glimpse but don't quite apprehend something I've just passed on a bus ...

Memo to self: Real Life almost never has a rewind function. :P

...try to walk turned out...and HOPE someone is looking and that they'll think you're a dancer,

OMG! This is SOOOOOOOOO true, bart!! :(

Well...now I know I'm officially falling asleep...Dear bart, I SWEAR I saw your name on that post (It's a good thing when the boss is not around, right...? :lol: )

Anyway, and to add to the matters of the turned out walking, is even more gratifying if is at the night at the ballet, and EVEN MORE if the cute old lady asks you: "are you a dancer...?" :P

(Am I sounding too ridiculous...? :blush: )

Hey, I'm flattered! (Sorry, I tried to delete some of the quotes but it kept coming out wrong and I'm too tired to figure it out!)

Here's another one: You own eight Swan Lakes, seven Sleeping Beauties, five Giselles, two each of La Sylphide, Cinderella, Coppelia, and approximately 45 more assorted dance DVDs -- and feel deprived. :P

...try to walk turned out...and HOPE someone is looking and that they'll think you're a dancer,

OMG! This is SOOOOOOOOO true, bart!!

Well...now I know I'm officially falling asleep...Dear bart, I SWEAR I saw your name on that post (It's a good thing when the boss is not around, right...? :lo

Anyway, and to add to the matters of the turned out walking, is even more gratifying if is at the night at the ballet, and EVEN MORE if the cute old lady asks you: "are you a dancer...?"

(Am I sounding too ridiculous...? :( )

Hey, I'm flattered! (Sorry, I tried to delete some of the quotes but it kept coming out wrong and I'm too tired to figure it out!)

Make that seven Giselles Peggy...! :blush:

Here's another one: You own eight Swan Lakes, seven Sleeping Beauties, five Giselles, two each of La Sylphide, Cinderella, Coppelia, and approximately 45 more assorted dance DVDs -- and feel deprived. :P

Make that seven Giselles, Peggy...! :P

And wait, cause I DO have to add this one...when three of your best male friends and you, knowing certain recording by heart, mock four ballerinas as they talk about "The Romantic Era", a la SNL's rendition of The View. Of course, the best is when the leading character, wearing big glasses and scarf, ends up owning the whole thing by not allowing anybody else to talk...dialogues repited to carbon copy... :lol:

Guys, you truly scare me.

I've fallen in the turned-out bit (well, I think) however. Unfortunately, one can take me for a dancer only if her only one exposure to Classical ballet was in the Fantasia movie. At midday, to be accurate.

When you receive a new DVD and you fast-forward to the 'main parts' rather than savor the entire thing from beginning to end.

In other words, many of us old timers may have amassed such big collections and/or our lives have become so busy or complicated that we may not really cherish new videos or dvds as we would have years ago. I remember 1984 or thereabouts when I purchased my first ballet video - Kolpakova in Sleeping Beauty - and I watched the entire thing in one sitting, then many times again, it meant so much. Now I find myself rushing and not savoring as before. Sometimes it's important to go back to those innocent times of quality, not quantity.

... doing tendus while standing at a shop counter, without realizing what you're doing.

...or standing in coupe (or once passe) to rest my ankle, or doing a swan ripple of my arm to stretch the tricep and unkink my elbow? And once, unthinking on the street, I did a battement and propped my leg on top of a box/bench/wall/fence? (sorry can't remember what it was but it was higher than my waist if not my shoulder) because I didn't feel like bending over to tie my shoe. Of course someone commented in passing.

RE: turnout: the more tired I am, the more it shows. And even though I cannot go down stairs without turning out, I still managed to almost flatten three old ladies when I tripped. (Did I mention I'm a klutz when not in a studio?)

I haven't managed to hit a rewind button yet, but several times have tried to hit "pause".

...when, while watching a famous variation from a newly acquired DVD-(or a recently uploaded clip)-.you have a deja-vu: "Oh, I've seen THIS variation danced just like that...Oh, I know !...19( )..production of (ballet's name) with (dancer's name) by (company's name)". Oh, and then it doesn't take you more than a couple of seconds to know right away...

...when you have only been into ballet for 6 months yet have already spent $1000 dollars on dvds. :jawdrop::D

The downside is how few videos there really are... You know you've watched too many videos when your wish list includes $5000 more...

...when you have only been into ballet for 6 months yet have already spent $1000 dollars on dvds. :jawdrop::P

The downside is how few videos there really are... You know you've watched too many videos when your wish list includes $5000 more...

I can agree with that. I could always use a couple dozen more Giselles.