This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Veronika Part on the David Letterman Show July 9

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#121 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:36 AM

If you have a lifetime, you may want to give this a try. I would start at about the middle with the descriptions of 'Veronika' herself. It is several years old, but I just discovered it in its entirety and so far I am fascinated.

Whoever manages her site (her fiance?) was able to put all the article here.

Click on Assoluta by Laura Jacobs below picture.

http://www.officialveronikapart.com/

A typical quote with reasons and descriptions (and opinions) to be found throughout the rest of the text.

"Part is bucking every trend in ballet. She uses her strength to touch the precarious, to go where others canít or wonít. And she shows us everything, making herself vulnerable...." (Laura Jacobs).

#122 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:49 PM

Meanwhile, it looks like anyone who missed Part's evening talk-show appearance will have another chance:

http://www.interbrid...ate.html#8/3/09

This site often has more advanced and more accurate information than the more familiar and more comprehensive TV-schedule sites, in my experience.

#123 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,951 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:33 AM

Thank you for that link!

The interview was fun, not pretentious, perfect in context of what it was and for the format it served - a light, engaging segment in a light entertainment chat show. Anything else would have only excluded the audience for which it was intended.

Jack, I hear what you're saying about ballet not merely being an athletic event, but an art form, I agree, but for a widespread audience who dislike or are indifferent to ballet, what's wrong with focusing on how incredibly hard it is to master as an athletic art?

..........I thought Veronika Part was absolutely great, this is a reason to be happy, she did ballet a great service in agreeing to go on Letterman.

What Simon says. :) Part was delightful and it was a nice little segment, even if she's so bee-yoo-ti-ful she makes me want to go sit in a corner with a bag over my head.

Her next stop should be The Daily Show. Stewart would be totally zonked by her.

#124 FauxPas

FauxPas

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:03 PM

I dvr-ed this when it first aired. First of all, when I met Veronika after the "Romeo and Juliet" opening night with Vishneva and Gomes I mentioned this upcoming appearance. I hinted that she would do well to chat with Letterman beforehand so she would be relaxed with him. I also suggested she joke and flirt a bit. Frankly, I was afraid she might come off as too serious and a bore.

Letterman seemed to take over the segment and kept feeding her lines and comments so that she didn't ramble or have to search for words. I suspected that Veronika at times wanted to expand and go deeper into her dancing but he kept it very surface and light. For example when Veronika put on her pointe shoes and got on pointe, I suspected she wanted perhaps to execute a few steps and demonstrate ballet technique. However, before she could go on, Letterman pulled her arms up in the air in a "Ta-da!" position and sort of ended the whole thing with just her standing on pointe.

However, sometimes Letterman has been somewhat dismissive and nasty to non-celebrity guests, making mocking comments about their interests or achievements. Letterman was fairly nice to Veronika but kept her on a very short leash. The scheduling of the guests and the length of the segment also is a issue here. He wanted to keep her on time. Veronika came across as a little awkward but charming with a sense of humor. And so lovely.

#125 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,275 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:39 PM

Her next stop should be The Daily Show.

Or Regis and Kelly...

#126 mayichka

mayichka

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:14 AM

Letterman interviewed Natalia Makarova years ago and I found it painful. This occurred well before 1989 and he kept pushing her to talk about whether she would ever be able to go back to Russia. As I remember, the subject caused her visible distress and he would not drop it. She finally said something along the lines of 'I thought this was supposed to be a funny show' -- At the time I really blamed him and essentially became "anti" Letterman. Years later I did get over that, and I don't know what I would think if I were to see a repeat of that same interview now.

I also recall a Nureyev interview, some years before that, that took place (I think) on one of the afternoon talk shows--probably Mike Douglas--in which the interviewer said something to Nureyev along the lines of "You left [the Soviet Union] for freedom" and he replied immediately and, I thought, quite brilliantly, "for independence."

where can i find that letterman's show with Natalia Makarova on line? does somebody of you have it?

#127 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:53 PM

I entered "David Letterman" and "Natalia Makarova" into a Google video search and was unable to find it.

https://www.google.c...ved=0CAwQ_AUoAw

There were some 15,000 hits, but I didn't see show in question. If you're more patient than I, maybe you can sort through and find what you want.

Google, Bing, Ask.com, etc., are great tools.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):