This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Veronika Part on the David Letterman Show July 9

This is happy news, Veronika Part will be a guest on The Late Show With David Letterman on Thursday, July 9th!

Moderator note: I split this off from the earlier Veronika Part thread. Please post your responses to the Letterman interview, when it occurs, HERE. Bart.

So . . . there is no commercially released footage of Part dancing, and what's on You Tube is either grainy (Swan Lake), or pretty old (Raymonda, Fairy Doll). Surely only a tiny fraction of Letterman's audience will have ever heard of her, so can we expect a few precious seconds of new, high quality video by way of introduction? Is it too early for a "yahoo!"? Well here's one anyhow: :off topic: ?

When was the last time that a ballet dancer was a guest on one of the late night talk shows?

Great question, Farrell Fan. Does anyone have an answer to this?

I'm sure M. Barysnikov was a guest in one of the late-night talk shows but this was after he became an "actor".

I don't know about a sit down guest, but didn't some NYCB corps members take part in a skit or sight gag of some sort on Letterman's show? I read a vague reference to some such thing somewhere (how vague is that?), I think in DanceView Times. Deanna McBrearty's site lists among her film and TV appearances ""David Letterman Top Ten."

I don't know about a sit down guest, but didn't some NYCB corps members take part in a skit or sight gag of some sort on Letterman's show?

Is she going to be a sit-down guest or will she be performing a piece? For example, three years ago Peter Mattei, Diana Damrau, Juan Diego Florez, John Del Carlo and Samuel Ramey performed an abbreviated version of the Act 1 finale from 'The Barber of Seville' on the Letterman show.

http://archives.metoperafamily.org/archive...t.w?xCID=351638

kfw's reference to Deanna McBrearty makes me wonder if Part's appearance on the Letterman show could be for something as mundane as reading the evening's "top ten list." I'm hoping for something more substantive, but I've already lowered my expectations, just in case.

Great news if the commercial world is finally waking up. But I don't suppose Charlie Rose on PBS counts as a "late night talk show" to the rest of the pop world, because at least on that program, several current and former ballet dancers have appeared.

Of course I will never forget when ballet dancers appeared on Mike Douglas (was it Makarova/Nagy?) long after Mr. Sullivan was no longer with us.

Great news if the commercial world is finally waking up. But I don't suppose Charlie Rose on PBS counts as a "late night talk show" to the rest of the pop world, because at least on that program, several current and former ballet dancers have appeared.

Of course I will never forget when ballet dancers appeared on Mike Douglas (was it Makarova/Nagy?) long after Mr. Sullivan was no longer with us.

Cynthia G,Fernando B, Martine VH and Alexander Godunov appeared in Merv Griffin Show( not sure if t was an afternoon show?)

Letterman interviewed Natalia Makarova years ago and I found it painful. This occurred well before 1989 and he kept pushing her to talk about whether she would ever be able to go back to Russia. As I remember, the subject caused her visible distress and he would not drop it. She finally said something along the lines of 'I thought this was supposed to be a funny show' -- At the time I really blamed him and essentially became "anti" Letterman. Years later I did get over that, and I don't know what I would think if I were to see a repeat of that same interview now.

I also recall a Nureyev interview, some years before that, that took place (I think) on one of the afternoon talk shows--probably Mike Douglas--in which the interviewer said something to Nureyev along the lines of "You left [the Soviet Union] for freedom" and he replied immediately and, I thought, quite brilliantly, "for independence."

DVR set to record! Thanks, Fleegull! :D

Please forgive my ignorance, but I'd like to set my DVR too. At what time and on what channel does the David Letterman Show appear? And how long does it run? I fell in love with Veronika Part this year but will be away on Thursday night.

Many thanks, angelica

This is extraordinary! When was the last time that a ballet dancer was a guest on one of the late night talk shows? Perhaps it has to do with the ghost of Ed Sullivan roaming the theater named for him (where the Letterman show originates). :D

Didn't Wendy Whelan dance the Sugarplum Fairy variation on Letterman a while ago?

This is happy news, Veronika Part will be a guest on The Late Show With David Letterman on Thursday, July 9th!

A very rare moment when I truly regret not having a TV :D

You can watch the interview online the next day.

There are exceptions, but most of the interviews make it onto the CBS site (www.cbs.com. Then go to Letterman).

DVR set to record! Thanks, Fleegull! :D

Please forgive my ignorance, but I'd like to set my DVR too. At what time and on what channel does the David Letterman Show appear? And how long does it run? I fell in love with Veronika Part this year but will be away on Thursday night.

Many thanks, angelica

Letterman is on from 11:35-12:35 pm EST.

My guess is that Ms. Part will be the second guest. The first 20 minutes is almost always monologue, Top Ten list etc.

He's on CBS.

Frankly, not all dancers are articulate conversationalists and Ms. Part has always seemed rather reserved and introverted in interviews. She also sometimes is frank about the negatives in her life and career which is honest but can be a downer in a TV interview. Also this can offend her current employers. My advice to Veronika: smile and joke as much as possible and be very upbeat about her life and career right now! Flirt with Letterman, maybe he will invite you back and let you dance as well!