This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Twitter at the Theater

The following article was posted yesterday by user "theballetbag" on Twitter (where else?):

Welcome to the tweet seats: Twitter at the theatre

It's all the rage, but should we be tweeting during a performance? Ruth Jamieson thinks so – just along as you play by the rules. That means no spoilers and don't call it tweatre.

Read the article here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2009/mar/1...twitter-theatre

For my part, I disagree with Ms. Jamieson. Using a mobile phone in a theater is incredibly rude, and cupping one's hand over the screen does very little, if anything, to diminish the brightness. I don't understand why she thinks it is somehow rude to one's followers not to tweet about a performance in real time--surely people will understand that one cannot send text messages during a show. And if they don't, I would not be inclined to gratify such a selfish and inconsiderate desire. At the last ballet I attended (Manon at the Kennedy Center) I did send out little one-line Twitter reviews during the intervals, but it would never have occurred to me to attempt to do so once the lights had gone down! I would hope that an usher would put a stop to such behaviour immediately.

Those little blue screens are absolutely one of my pet peeves. Clearly Ms. Jamieson is in the same mind set that smokers used to be many years ago; namely, oblivious of how their habit irritates others. It's just ignorance I suppose.

Here in Seattle the problem isn't too bad. I almost never see the "blue screen" pollution during the actual performing, EXCEPT right after the house lights dim as folks finish up before they close their phones. Even that distraction is highly inconsiderate in my book. :) Do it in the lobby during intermissions for heaven's sake......(I don't hear complaints that one must use the bathrooms in that fashion when that urge strikes!).

Sandy, I agree. I could understand checking one's phone after the announcement (which occurs after the lights are dimmed) is made just to be certain it really is off, but other than that, yes, one ought to turn it off as soon as one walks into the auditorium, in my opinion.

kfw, I wish I could tell!

This hasn't hit ballet, opera, or serious theater in my city.

Normally we tweet all day, but now I'm at the theatre suddenly I'm too good to speak to you?

As a proud member of the Silence is Golden/What I'm Doing is None of Your Business League of Grumps, I'm astonished that there are people who actually want to read such non-stop drivel from their friends. Or that we should have to defend, explain, and apologize for our dislike of this invasion of our time and space.

For my part, I disagree with Ms. Jamieson. Using a mobile phone in a theater is incredibly rude, and cupping one's hand over the screen does very little, if anything, to diminish the brightness.
A neighbor of mine during ABT's last City Center season seemed to be under that misapprehension. When I asked her to please close her phone, she said it couldn't possibly be bothering me. I then asked how I knew she had it open, and her only response was to close it for the duration. :wink:

At least she wasn't unpleasant about it.

In a darkened room, even a small, dim light will draw the eye. I don't often bring my phone to performances, but recently I did. Not in the habit of having to silence it, I did so after houselights were dimmed. My screen is a picture of earth on a black background -- much darker than your average screen -- and I was surprised how bright it was when I opened it to silence the ring.

When I asked her to please close her phone, she said it couldn't possibly be bothering me. I then asked how I knew she had it open....

:wink::beg::wallbash:

Too classic for words! (You can bet I'll be re-telling that story in my circles!)

In a darkened room, even a small, dim light will draw the eye.

Many times when I see multiple performances, I sit quite high in our opera house at least once to better see the choreography. Ususally I am in the front of a high box that sort of juts out over the orchestra floor. At times as the house lights go down, and to some extent even after the curtain goes up, the sea of seats below me is punctuated with these subtle, but highly distinctive, blue squares. Slowly they blink out one by one. It's easy to see one from 3/4s of an auditorium away if you are sitting back and high enough.

The Royal Ballet is now including tweets on their cinema live productions which probably will mean they will be on any future dvds sad.png

"A final grump: cinema audiences were encouraged to tweet their views before, during the interval or at the end to #ROHnutcracker.

Put the trite comments on the ROH site, by all means, but not on screen as the performers take their bows. Why should I care that Bev thought it triff or Phil found it awesome?"

The Royal Ballet – Nutcracker live screening in cinemas by Jann Parry, Dance Tabs, December 18, 2012

http://dancetabs.com...mas-everywhere/

People on their phones are missing out on the experience of live theatre. How can they possibly experience the full impact of a truly transcendent performance unless they are totally concentrated and involved? I think the loss of the ability to concentrate on anything for more than a short attention span is the sad result of the obsession with smart phones.

The end of civilization as we know it!

Silence is Golden/What I'm Doing is None of Your Business League of Grumps

I missed this when this thread first ran, but I'm thrilled to see it now!

Peter Boal announced a dancer promotion during the curtain call on opening night of Romeo and Juliette at Pacific Northwest Ballet (James Moore became a principal) this weekend. They had used their social media contacts to promote the event -- calling it a mystery announcement -- and, I think, trying to get their name in front of younger audience members who frequently text and twitter. He encouraged us to text and tweet after the announcement, as the company took another bow -- it was an odd experience. Some of my colleagues felt it broke the mood of the ballet (the bows after R&J are usually pretty intense). I think it was probably the best of a bad set of options (Since Moore was dancing Romeo that night I doubt he would want to come out in front of the curtain before the show for the usual recognition and applause), but the social media component was, I think, something we will see more of -- like it or not.