This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

What a bizarre thread. I think I watched the show but thankfully like so much of the junk of TV it has gone forever down the memory hole.

Looking back it's kinda sad to see what a disaster TV became and what it is today and how it has informed so much of popular culture. It's not that early TV was not creative and entertaining, that was there, but what emerged as dominant was the worst of it and nonsense like Charlie's Angels may be the perfect example.

I did see Farah Fawcett in some other productions where she turned in a good dramatic performance rising above the garbage of that Angel role. My recollections of the others is dim, but I vaguely remember find Smith the more sultry of them, as if that means anything.

Perhaps a better poll would be about what early TV programs were memorable and represented TV at is best, such as Masterpiece Theater, or the David Susskind Show, Dinah Shore, Lassi and Rin Tin Tin, Carole Burnett, I remember Mana or even Ask Mr Wizard. hahahaha. I've developed such a negative reaction to TV I suspect it has obliterated most of my memories about the medium.

How bout that?

TV has always been a mixed bag – highbrow, lowbrow, and everything in between. Personally I’d rather watch an hour of the Angels than some of the tedious middlebrow stuff that was and is served up on Masterpiece (formerly Theatre), but to each his own.

This was a big mistake because it gave the erroneous impression that the newest Angel wasn't integrating with the rest of the team onscreen (and gave rise to whispers off-screen that Hack wasn't meshing with her co-stars.)

That is a puzzling decision - introduce a new leading character with great fanfare, and then she disappears for a goodly part of the season.....

I didn't much care for thirtysomething but I wouldn't call it bad or kitsch TV. It was highly influential for better or worse and it did tell serious stories of a kind that didn't get much airing on networks at the time - or since, for that matter. The makers of the show have gone on to do some good work - Edward Zwick isn't my favorite director but he's turned into a decent one.

What a weird thread, and weird memories. I was a CNTV student at USC then, and both "Charlie's Angels" and "Remmington Steele" were filmed on the campus a few times, so I remember seeing glimpses of some of the angels (must have been Season 2 or 3,Fawcett had left already) and Pierce Brosnan, Stephanie Zimbalist, et.al., between walking to/from classes. (During one shoot, "RS" blew up our Financial Aid building --it was slated to be demolished to make way for a new student union--that was exciting. I was hoping all the records were lost too, and now college would be free). At that time, though, I was more interested in talking to the DP and crews than the 'stars'--who were mere "eye candy". I remember being surprised that Mr. Brosnan wasn't that tall, but had a very straight back and excellent posture, so he looked good in a tux. BTW: I think he has attended and supported ballet (ABT for sure)in the past. (Don't know if so now.) And for that, I'm grateful. (See, I'm trying to drag the topic back to ballet somehow.)

BTW: A slightly more 'highbrow' show ,"Paper Chase", was filmed on campus too. I'm in the opening title sequence because I walked into the shot (exiting the Doheney Library) thinking it was a student film since they were shooting 16mm.

The state of commercial television in those days was one of the reasons I decided to work in Public television, not Hollywood. (The other reason, and the only one that has not changed, is because PBS was the only network doing dance/ballet productions.)

Because you demanded it (OK, maybe not):

Don't know how I feel about the Angels being reformed criminals!

I think that's a rather dubious twist myself but we'll see. Wonder which is supposed to be the brainy one....

Because you demanded it (OK, maybe not):

Don't know how I feel about the Angels being reformed criminals!

I think that's a rather dubious twist myself but we'll see. Wonder which is supposed to be the brainy one....

Maybe it's the character named Kate (in homage to the true leader of the Townsend Detective Agency between 1976-79.)

I haven't noticed them in the listings recently.

I think the show's aesthetic (if a show like Charlie's Angels can even be said to have such a thing) is dead; hence the absence from the classic television networks. There's no novelty left in a show about three female detectives. It doesn't help that the show, like a lot of 70s shows, looks cheap when you see it now (and this despite Charlie's Angels, at the time, being very expensive to make.)

I think the show's aesthetic (if a show like Charlie's Angels can even be said to have such a thing) is dead; hence the absence from the classic television networks. There's no novelty left in a show about three female detectives. It doesn't help that the show, like a lot of 70s shows, looks cheap when you see it now (and this despite Charlie's Angels, at the time, being very expensive to make.)

I haven't really spent any time with these classic television stations (knowing that, if I stepped into the black hole of more nostalgia viewing I might never return!) I'm sorry to think that it's a "been there, done that" kind of feminism that would keep a network from airing these shows.