• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:07 AM

Since Charlie's Angels is very much in the news again due to Farrah Fawcett's passing, I thought I would conduct a poll: Who was your favorite Angel?

Note: There's supposed to be a poll attached to this but I've messed it up somehow. Anyway, here are your choices:

Sabrina Duncan (Kate Jackson)
Jill Munroe (Farrah Fawcett-Majors)
Kelly Garrett (Jaclyn Smith)
Kris Munroe (Cheryl Ladd)
Tiffany Welles (Shelley Hack)
Julie Rogers (Tanya Roberts)

My vote goes to Kate Jackson as Sabrina Duncan. Charlie was the titular head of the Townsend Detective Agency but Sabrina was its true leader. She was the one to whom the other Angels looked to for leadership and she would almost always be the one to deduce what was going on with an investigation. When she pulled away from the agency for the last time in her orange Pinto, the Townsend Detective Agency would never be the same.

#2 Simon G

Simon G

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:54 AM

Miliosr,

You know I like you, I like you a lot. But please please please, get out of the house a bit more.

(Sabrina Duncan was my favourite too.)

#3 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:46 AM

Not too worry, Simon G. -- I'm off to catch some rays shortly!

As for the poll, well, this board can be so serious (i.e. the Balanchine wars, Veronika Part -- divided opinions, etc.) that the occasional frivolity is sometimes in order.

#4 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,131 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:08 AM

Kate Jackson. Always the smart one :)

#5 LiLing

LiLing

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:08 AM

Opps, I thought you were asking about the Dark Angel in Serenade!

#6 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:12 AM

Oh, no contest at all. FARRAH. Because for some reason or other, she really was a STAR. The tragedy all the more upsetting when you remember old Barbara Walters interviews when Barbara would say that her magnificent Los Angeles digs 'befit her stardom', having segued from interviewin another big name. I can't remember who it was tho', but she preferred a more modest lifestyle, that was sort ot the theme on that show. And then read that she was on 20/20 last month, and there was talk of Ryan O'Neal 'proposing to her'. This is just heartbreaking, and would be better on the other thread were it not to prove my point that she was the ONLY bona fide star among those 'Angels.' This stardom was not really deep, but it was a true 'American Exotic'. She was a beautiful young woman, and looks like a beautiful Texas girl, which she was. And I think it's this 'American Exotic' that explains that poster, which did seem to be a very strange phenomenon even at the time. But that poster proves something.

As far as I'm concerned, 'Charlie's Angels' is of no importance except for the glamour and relative charm and beauty of the girls. And in this, the rest don't even approach Farrah. They'd even write lines in with guys saying 'you are just so beautiful'. Now THAT I've not heard happen regularly, and they are the only lines I remember from that show, which bored me no end. I don't see any of the others as distinguished in any way., although I'm not familiar with Julie Rogers, so will reserve judgment. Although I do find Cheryl Ladd and Jaclyn Smith impressive as extreme B-list types and 'part go-getters' (lol). I think Ladd even managed to get in a production on B'way, can't have been 'Annie Get Your Gun', can it? Sure glad I didn't see that. Otherwise, TV movie material, no more, no less. Farrah had a presence, and I will add that some of her serious performances WERE extremely good, especially 'The Apostle'. The others interchangeable with Victoria Principal, etc.

#7 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:12 AM

My mistake is worse: when I read the thread title I thought immediately of all those little angels in many productions of the Nutcracker, and asked myself: They have NAMES?

This, in turn, led me to think about the Fairies in Sleeping Beauty, each of which expresses a distinctive character trait: The Fairy of Tenderness, the Fairy of Generosity, the Fairy of Bravery, etc. Was the same true of the various Angels?

I don't recall ever watching this show, so I can't vote. But, with your permission miliosr, I'd like to add a further twist to this thread for the benefit of those, like me, who want to learn more about these ladies and their roles.

I know from the press Jackson was the bright competent one, a favorite of women viewers at the time. Fawcett had the hair, which I assume means that she was the glamourous or sexual one. (Big Hair = Glamour/Sex seems to have been one of the core beliefs of pop culture in the 70s.)

If they were dancing in Sleeping Beauty, what characteristics -- and what titles -- would they have?

Sabrina Duncan (Kate Jackson) -- The Angel of ???
Jill Munroe (Farrah Fawcett-Majors) -- The Angel of ???
Kelly Garrett (Jaclyn Smith) -- The Angel of ???
Kris Munroe (Cheryl Ladd) -- The Angel of ???
Tiffany Welles (Shelley Hack) -- The Angel of ???
Julie Rogers (Tanya Roberts) -- The Angel of ???

#8 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:20 AM

Sabrina = The Smart Angel
Jill = The Sexy Angel
Kelly = The Streetwise Angel
Kris = The Spunky Angel
Tiffany = The Refined Angel
Jule = The Trashy Angel??? (Sorry -- not a fan of the character.)

#9 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,239 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:21 AM

I'm with you on this, Patrick. Farrah, definitely. Hers was THE HAIR.. :)
http://farm4.static....f69fd5b2f_o.jpg

#10 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:05 PM

Interesting thing about Farrah. When she left after the first season (1976-77), everyone expected the ratings to plummet. But they actually went up a notch in the second season (from #5 to #4.) So, her departure wasn't the catastrophe people thought it would be. Kate Jackson leaving after the third season ended up being a bigger problem because she wasn't as easily replaced as Fawcett-Majors had been (with Ladd.)

#11 perky

perky

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:17 AM

I'm voting for Kelly Garrett. Jaclyn Smith was a more subtle presence than the other two. Kate Jackson was a better actress and Farrah was more overtly sexy so I think Jaclyn gets the short end of the Angel stick sometimes, but I always liked her cool, elegant way.

#12 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,045 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:34 AM

Interesting thing about Farrah. When she left after the first season (1976-77), everyone expected the ratings to plummet. But they actually went up a notch in the second season (from #5 to #4.) So, her departure wasn't the catastrophe people thought it would be. Kate Jackson leaving after the third season ended up being a bigger problem because she wasn't as easily replaced as Fawcett-Majors had been (with Ladd.)

Kind of like Chevy Chase leaving SNL.

Sabrina's really the heart of the show - it just wasn't as obvious at the time.

I loved looking at Jaclyn Smith, not much of an actress but so gorgeous! and a more refined presence than Fawcett or Ladd, as perky says.

And of course, we have a new trio of big screen Angels today.

#13 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:18 AM

My mistake is worse: when I read the thread title I thought immediately of all those little angels in many productions of the Nutcracker, and asked myself: They have NAMES?

I first thought of the Nutcracker angels, too!

#14 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,045 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:22 PM

In view of what appears to be widespread confusion I have altered the title of the thread.

As for the poll, well, this board can be so serious (i.e. the Balanchine wars, Veronika Part -- divided opinions, etc.) that the occasional frivolity is sometimes in order.

Yes, why not. It's summertime.

I think Hack and Roberts just weren't up to the established Angels standard in looks and general appeal, which in retrospect was reasonably high.

#15 Simon G

Simon G

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:49 PM

Interestingly what made Kate Jackson leave the show was that she was first choice AND offered the Meryl Streep role in Kramer vs Kramer, but the Charlie's Angels producers wouldn't let her have time off filming or even rejig her schedule so that she could do it. That was the final straw. What that might have done for her career, who knows?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):