#1 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:43 AM

"Why is a superstar ballerina hanging up her toe shoes . . . ?"

I just heard a promo for this story, to be broadcast on National Public Radio's All Things Considered today at 5 pm EST. They'll put the segment online at 7.

#2 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:34 PM

I'm bumping this up to note that there are photos here on NPR of Ansanelli in Balanchine's Coppelia with Benjamin Millepied, with the Royal in Ondine and A Month in the Country, and with the Royal as the Lilac Fairy and the Sugar Plum Fairy.

#3 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 06:02 PM

A very gentle, touching interview. Thanks kfw. I didn't know that she had scoliosis and wore (wears?) a brace when she is not dancing. (It's interesting that she doesn't make much of this and that it was the interviewer who brought it up.) I love her reticence. There's nothing about the hardships and pains. It just boils down to: "I feel it's my time."

I respect the way she admits that her dancing was tentative when she first transferred to the Royal. And I love that she seems pleased and even rather proud about what she was able to achieve after she let go and and began dancing as she knew she could.

#4 vipa

vipa

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 06:09 PM

"Why is a superstar ballerina hanging up her toe shoes . . . ?"

I just heard a promo for this story, to be broadcast on National Public Radio's All Things Considered today at 5 pm EST. They'll put the segment online at 7.

Thank you so much for the link, a short but interesting interview.

#5 ami1436

ami1436

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 06:27 PM

Yes, thank you........ her voice sounds so.... I dunno. Different than when I've heard her before.

This 2004 article from the NYT on her is still one of my favourites, and the label 'self-effacing diva' sometimes seems to fit:
http://www.nytimes.c...acing-diva.html

The more recent NYT article, where she speaks of dance as failure, saddens me greatly:
http://www.nytimes.c...nce/06ansa.html

All the reports I've had from friends still in London are that her recent performances, particularly in Rubies, have been fantastic.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):