This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

If on top of that you add the fact of the inclusion of others with lesser impact either in the film industry or the pop culture-(e.g Brittany Murphy)-the final result just shows a plain, unjustifiable, tasteless , cold and careless behavior. Farrah didn't even have on her the controversy on moral/legal issues that Jackson had and for which he has such a 50/50 % of divided opinions worldwide. Still, the Academy included him. Just the thought of it makes me nauseated. This is the last year I watch the Oscars.

I have a feeling, despite the non-apology apologies, that the Academy knows it screwed up. Apparently it didn't occur to the people responsible that Fawcett had friends and they were going to annoy the O'Neal family. At least Fawcett has well connected people who will speak up for her. Less heralded personalities like screenwriters don't.

As for offscreen behavior it's hard to ask that the Academy take that into consideration. Otherwise the list would be even shorter.

Rest in peace, Miss Fawcett.
Yes, agreed. And hopefully she is beyond caring about any mentions at award ceremonies!

Yes, indeed.

Davis defended the tribute's inclusion of Michael Jackson, who was better known for his musical accomplishment than for his screen work, because the late pop star was the subject of a successful feature documentary last year.

I think that's rather rich.

I'll say, you'd think he'd come up with a better line than that. Whoo! That is truly pitiful. Who else died and 'had been the subject of a successful documentary that year', or any other. That's an out-and-out howler, they might as well put Marilyn and Elvis in every few years just because they are 'legends' and somebody somewhere has sometimes made them the subject of 'a succsseful documentary'. I guess they were relieved Rohmer died after fiscal year 2009, so they can exclude him next year unnoticed. Being 'a member of the Academy' should not be reason to include or exclude those important in the film industry, especially since there are plenty of foreign language films nominees who aren't member, surely. Dirac? do you know about that? And what on earth does the publie care about 'academy membership'? Nothing at all. That's purely an insider's club, and I agree with Cristian that they're always self-congratulatory and 'smarmy', that's why I don't watch it, although that's the sociological value of it. I bet they didn't include John Gregory Dunne in 2003, an imortant screenwriter, who definitely was a member of the academy, although they might have.

Being 'a member of the Academy' should not be reason to include or exclude those important in the film industry, especially since there are plenty of foreign language films nominees who aren't member, surely. Dirac? do you know about that?

I'm not at all sure that academy membership has anything to with the matter, Patrick, but if I'm mistaken would be interested to know.

Rohmer was included in this year's montage. They usually manage to find a spot for famous directors, even if some of them are foreigners. :(

Since the Oscars didn't feature Farrah in its montage of deceased celebrities, I would like to see a tribute to her at the Emmys featuring the five surviving Angels (Kate Jackson, Jaclyn Smith, Cheryl Ladd, Shelley Hack and Tanya Roberts) or, at least, the four Angels she worked with (Jackson, Smith, Ladd and Hack). (It goes without saying that the Angels from the two movies are completely beyond the pale.)

It will never happen, of course, because Jackson has issues with Ladd. But one can hope!

What issues are those, BTW?

Since the Oscars didn't feature Farrah in its montage of deceased celebrities, I would like to see a tribute to her at the Emmys featuring the five surviving Angels (Kate Jackson, Jaclyn Smith, Cheryl Ladd, Shelley Hack and Tanya Roberts) or, at least, the four Angels she worked with (Jackson, Smith, Ladd and Hack). (It goes without saying that the Angels from the two movies are completely beyond the pale.)

It will never happen, of course, because Jackson has issues with Ladd. But one can hope!

What issues are those, BTW?

When Fawcett declined to return to the show after its first blockbuster season (for reasons which, to this day, are not entirely clear), Aaron Spelling and Leonard Goldberg (sensibly) hired Cheryl Ladd to replace Fawcett on the show. It's well known among Charlie's Angels fans that Jackson (for reasons which also aren't entirely clear) took out her disappointment at Fawcett leaving by being less than friendly to Ladd (as if it were somehow Ladd's fault.) Fans of the show think Jackson was being ridiculous because, if they hadn't hired Ladd, they would have hired someone else.

Apparently, the odd blood continues to this day. When the Emmy's honored the recently-deceased Aaron Spelling by having the Angels come out on-stage, it was Kate Jackson who insisted that it only be the original three Angels. Cheryl Ladd was quoted in the press as being disappointed that the other Angels weren't included.