This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

She was never my favorite Angel on Charlie's Angels (that would be the true leader of the Townsend Detective Agency -- Sabrina Duncan, played by Kate Jackson) and I preferred Version 2.0 of the team (Jackson, Jaclyn Smith, Cheryl Ladd) to Version 1.0 (Jackson, Fawcett, Smith). But, when you think of Charlie's Angels now, you think of her and the hair and the smile and the ease of manner and the effortless style as much as anything or anyone else.

I hope this Angel was assumed immediately into Heaven. Sigh.

She was never my favorite Angel on Charlie's Angels (that would be the true leader of the Townsend Detective Agency -- Sabrina Duncan, played by Kate Jackson) and I preferred Version 2.0 of the team (Jackson, Jaclyn Smith, Cheryl Ladd) to Version 1.0 (Jackson, Fawcett, Smith). But, when you think of Charlie's Angels now, you think of her and the hair and the smile and the ease of manner and the effortless style as much as anything or anyone else.

I hope this Angel was assumed immediately into Heaven. Sigh.

Agreed on all counts, miliosr.

I think we owe her the honor of remembering, more than her Charlie's Angels stint, her excellent work as a serious actress in The Burning Bed. She was more than a pretty face topped by a great set of locks.

Ouch. I thought I was writing a nice appreciation of Farrah Fawcett as something more than a mere actress but I guess I wasn't.

Fairly or unfairly, she will be remembered from the first season of Charlie's Angels and her best-selling swimsuit poster from that era. The serious roles will fade away -- as will the Playboy shoots, the ill-fated appearance on Letterman, the ill-advised forays into reality television and her sometimes tumultuous personal life. People will remember her -- rightly so -- as that phenomenon of nature which only God himself can bestow on us. Not a bad epitaph, if you ask me.

Her “serious” work was okay but nothing to write home about. A lot of actors could do a better job of playing battered wives and rape victims, but probably none of them have the beauty and dazzle to send a great nation bananas by posing in a swimsuit. The backstory of The Poster here, from the photographer. Nice article:

When I saw the film processed, I knew we'd gotten it — somewhere in these 36 frames, there's a poster. I went back over to her house, and I showed her all the pictures. She told me later that she had picked out her top two favorites and marked them on the slides. I've since heard that when the guy in Cleveland got the pictures, he went, "First of all, where's the bikini?" He told me he wasn't ever gonna pay me, because he hated the pictures. But I guess he showed them around to people in his business and they changed his mind. It was Farrah's pose, Farrah's suit, Farrah's idea. She picked that shot. She made a lot of money for him and for herself, and made me semifamous.

There was something back in the late 70s or early 80s, a kind of ad for some kind of heath organization, or just some kind of health public service kind of thing that she did. I believe Barbra Streisand did something a bit like this, but it wasn't so memorable. She was still very beautiful and statuesque, and her little monologue ends 'Because when you have your heath, you have it all.' She really made this sound profound, and another friend was equally impressed at the uncanniness (most surprising) of this little TV piece.

There was another disastrous Letterman appearance right after 9/11, I was in disbelief. I hadn't known till the obit that there had been one in 1997 as well in which she was 'incomprehensible'. But I always thought of that old TV spot, and what had happened to her. A lot in the Ryan O'Neal family has malfunctioned, Tatum O'Neal said so a couple of years ago. In any case, something happened in which she stopped being 'healthy' long before she had cancer. That Letterman thing was truly one of the saddest things I've ever seen, even Courtney Love's gross appearances were vaguely intelligible.

Thanks, miliosr. That article sounds beyond depressing. Ryan O’Neal was an appealing young actor back in the day and he turned into a middle aged lunk hitting on his own daughter. “Bon vivant,” my foot.

Get a load of Farrah’s curlers in slide 2.

I'm a subscriber to Vanity Fair and I'm dreading the Farrah article already. (It's not that her tumultuous later life is coming as a surprise to me. I just don't know if I want to read the autopsy of said life.)

Thinking of her relationship with Ryan O'Neal and, to a lesser extent, with Lee Majors, I can't help but think of the remark a friend of Rita Hayworth's made about her five husbands: "I knew all of her husbands and none of them were good for her."

As for the photos from the first season of Charlie's Angels -- she really was a darling of the gods, wasn't she?

Reports of Ryan O'Neal's bizarre/violent/self-destructive behavior have surfaced for years, and to his credit he's admitted to much of it, so it's not that much of a surprise. But the behavior at the funeral is depressing, especially the fact that he claims he made a pass at his own daughter.

Funny how Farrah and Michael died on the same day, and they both had big funerals. Everyone thought Michael's would be a circus but for the most part it was a dignified and well-handled affair. Farrah's, on the other hand ... :)

As I was standing in the supermarket checkout line yesterday, I saw that the print edition of People has a Farrah cover story on the racks with diary entries from her friend Alana Stewart regarding Farrah's battle w/ cancer. Oh brother! She's barely been put to rest and already people are releasing books/diaries!! (And, no, I didn't buy the issue.)

Since the Oscars didn't feature Farrah in its montage of deceased celebrities, I would like to see a tribute to her at the Emmys featuring the five surviving Angels (Kate Jackson, Jaclyn Smith, Cheryl Ladd, Shelley Hack and Tanya Roberts) or, at least, the four Angels she worked with (Jackson, Smith, Ladd and Hack). (It goes without saying that the Angels from the two movies are completely beyond the pale.)

It will never happen, of course, because Jackson has issues with Ladd. But one can hope!

Since the Oscars didn't feature Farrah in its montage of deceased celebrities, I would like to see a tribute to her at the Emmys featuring the five surviving Angels (Kate Jackson, Jaclyn Smith, Cheryl Ladd, Shelley Hack and Tanya Roberts) or, at least, the four Angels she worked with (Jackson, Smith, Ladd and Hack). (It goes without saying that the Angels from the two movies are completely beyond the pale.)

It will never happen, of course, because Jackson has issues with Ladd. But one can hope!

Since Farrah wasn't really a film star, I can see why to Oscars didn't include her. Yes, she made some movies, but her movie career minus her TV career didn't add up to much. I think the emmy awards is the right place, and I hope it happens.

Yes, that's a great idea for the Emmys. It should happen even if it doesn't.

Fawcett wasn't a big movie star and her movies weren't always that great, but she appeared regularly enough in decent feature films to justify inclusion in the roll call of the departed on Sunday. But the Academy usually leaves out several qualified people every year and it's likely carelessness, not a deliberate snub.

The Academy in its various explanations regarding the omission didn't offer up lack of membership as a reason for the omission (which was indeed intentional). My understanding is that she was a member, however.

Davis defended the tribute's inclusion of Michael Jackson, who was better known for his musical accomplishment than for his screen work, because the late pop star was the subject of a successful feature documentary last year.

I think that's rather rich. Elsewhere the Academy was offering up the excuse that there isn't enough time to include absolutely everyone and they have to whittle the names down, which is a little more reasonable. But if you can include Brittany Murphy than it's pretty silly to leave out Fawcett.

I think Jackson was nominated for an Oscar in the Best Song category once upon a time, so you could use that as a justification for shoehorning him in, but the same rationale for not including Fawcett could be used for Jackson. Obviously the Grammys would be the place for him, not the Oscars.

My feeling is that this is a bit of a tempest in a teapot, and I myself didn't think of the omission while I was actually watching the show, but Fawcett did have a legit career in the movies.

Bottom line, Fawcett was loved as a pop icon worldwide-(one just have to look at the thousand comments on her infinite Youtube tributes). Not only that, but the fact that she was brave enough to show her struggling to the world in her battle against cancer and raise awareness about the issue, makes her omission even more noticeable and despicable. If on top of that you add the fact of the inclusion of others with lesser impact either in the film industry or the pop culture-(e.g Brittany Murphy)-the final result just shows a plain, unjustifiable, tasteless , cold and careless behavior. Farrah didn't even have on her the controversy on moral/legal issues that Jackson had and for which he has such a 50/50 % of divided opinions worldwide. Still, the Academy included him. Just the thought of it makes me nauseated. This is the last year I watch the Oscars.

Bottom line, Fawcett was loved as a pop icon worldwide-(one just have to look at the thousand comments on her infinite Youtube tributes). Not only that, but the fact that she was brave enough to show her struggling to the world in her battle against cancer and raise awareness about the issue, makes her omission even more noticeable and despicable. If on top of that you add the fact of the inclusion of others with lesser impact either in the film industry or the pop culture-(e.g Brittany Murphy)-the final result just shows a plain, unjustifiable, tasteless , cold and careless behavior. Farrah didn't even have on her the controversy on moral/legal issues that Jackson had and for which he has such a 50/50 % of divided opinions worldwide. Still, the Academy included him. Just the thought of it makes me nauseated. This is the last year I watch the Oscars.

NOW, as I was posting, I got REALLY angry just thinking about it, so let me just add something else. About the Academy...what a joke! Bunch of pretentious, self-congratulatory, ego driven characters. Farrah's supporters should be glad the Academy left her off the list rather than taint her memory with their smarmy stench. Rest in peace, Miss Fawcett.