This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Coat/Bag Check at the Metropolitan Opera House

Hoping some of you can give me advice based on first hand experience. I'm traveling in by bus on Fri evening for Swan Lake and staying overnight at my daughter's apt (on the other side of town) in order to go to the Sat mat Swan Lake then directly to the bus to head home. So my question is, can I check a small bag at the Met coat check? I'm going to try to stuff a mid-size nice looking backpack with all I'll need. What I would really like is to simply take the bag to my seat. I honestly think it's the same size or smaller than some handbags you see today. Do you think security will let me take my bag to my seat? If not, will they give me any trouble at coat check? Thanks in advance.

It will depend on the purse/bag checker immediately inside the ticket gates. Look for a gate with an older man. They are the more experienced and, generally, the more courteous.

If they do decide you need to check the backpack, I believe they take your bag upstairs (stair landing right, on entering to the orchestra) and bring it to the coat check downstairs and you pick up downstairs afterward.

I have seen people come through with wheelies. I believe they must be checked at that table on the right at the landing between the stairs to the orchestra.

Should you encounter difficulty, explain that your plane was delayed. The house managers are generally sympathetic.

Thanks to everyone for your input. When I decide not to drive but to take the bus and stay overnight w/daughter I usually travel with a much larger/heavier bag. Don't want to lug that around this time so I thought the smaller backpack would suffice but still worried that it wouldn't be welcomed at the Met. You've convinced me to go for it and taken that worry away - thanks again! Yes, BT is an endless resource.