• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

#16 perky

perky

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:19 AM

So, all ballerina's are mentally unstable, back stabbing shrews who go both ways?

I knew it!!!! :D :)

#17 Nanarina

Nanarina

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:49 AM

:) There is a wonderful opportunity here, so hopefully it will not be missed.

#18 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:27 AM

So, all ballerina's are mentally unstable, back stabbing shrews who go both ways?

..mmm...I'm starting feeling interested... :)

#19 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,214 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:14 PM

Backstabbing ballerina stories go at least as far back as The Turning Point.

I havenít seen any suggestions that thereís a male love interest, so I donít think we know if the ladies are in fact playing for both teams.

#20 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,214 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:30 AM

"Black Swan" is about to make its debut in Venice.

"....the psychological thriller due to make its debut in late fall features Natalie Portman as a prima ballerina on the verge of a breakdown after winning the lead in 'Swan Lake.'"

Ballerina On the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown? It's an Almodovar waiting to happen.

Late fall is the beginning of Oscar season, so Natalie must be gunning for a nomination.

#21 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:52 AM

I just looked at a photo (on the website of the New York Post in the Entertainment section) of Natalie Portman in her tutu and makeup for Swan Lake. Her posture in the photo looks nothing like the posture of a ballet dancer, in my opinion.

#22 DanceActress

DanceActress

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:23 AM

According to Wikipedia, ABT's Sarah Lane was Portman's dance double for "Black Swan". Interesting choice...
From what I've seen of Lane's dancing, I imagined her as a potential Giselle or Lise rather than Odette/Odile.

I'm excited to see the film. And now I understand why I glimpsed Vincent Cassel near Lincoln Center a few times :lightbulb:

#23 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,244 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:55 PM

I just looked at a photo (on the website of the New York Post in the Entertainment section) of Natalie Portman in her tutu and makeup for Swan Lake. Her posture in the photo looks nothing like the posture of a ballet dancer, in my opinion.

http://www.collider....an_image_02.jpg :dry:

#24 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:15 PM

According to Wikipedia, ABT's Sarah Lane was Portman's dance double for "Black Swan". Interesting choice...
From what I've seen of Lane's dancing, I imagined her as a potential Giselle or Lise rather than Odette/Odile.

I tend to disagree, but you credit the production team to think that such subtleties would be important to them. I suspect they were more concerned with general body type and facial bone structure, a close look-alike who, with the help of soft focus, the right lighting and good makeup, would be virtually indistinguishable from the non-dancing star.

#25 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,214 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:39 PM

Lane is unlikely to be indistinguishable or anything like it, but at least we'll get to see some dancing, although the use of a double limits options when shooting the dance. So glad Michael Powell hired a ballerina to play a ballerina. Of course without Portman's participation this might not have gotten made.

Portman's squeeze, Whatshisname, apparently also has a speaking role in addition to his choreographic duties, so we'll see how that turns out, as well.

#26 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:08 PM

It's supposed to be set in New York, so I wonder if they'll get City Ballet dancers as extras, the way they did for Center Stage.

Other than that, it sounds like it's going to use the NYCB as a backdrop and not focus too much on it. I'd think it's more a Thriller that just happens to take place in NYC... with a charcter who happens to be a dancer.

cinnamonswirl, I have the impression that NYCB is associated in some way - perhaps it's the protagonist's home company?

Pennsylvania Ballet writes on its Facebook page (emphasis added by me), "Black Swan, the ballet thriller starring Natalie Portman and featuring our dancers, will open the Venice Film Festival! It's set to hit theaters later this fall."

#27 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:20 PM

:smilie_mondieu: Ugh! and Why? Why? Why?! Are all narrative films of ballet about (to quote 'perky') "mentally unstable, backstabbing shrews"?! Do I want to see another film about that NO! Not particularly. I am SOOOoooo sick & tired of 'same old, same old' storylines in most Hollywood films about ballet, and the occasional forays into fantasy land of Broadway-to-Hollywoood adaptations!
(I have the same questions concerning "Titanic" films: Why are they always about poor boy/girl vs. rich boy/girl?!)

:wallbash: Is there NOBODY with any sense of history or reality left in Hollywood?! Or sensitivity to classical (vs. modern, contemporary, abstract etc.etc.)arts? It's like some continuous blind spot: the writers don't know anything about the reality or mentality of artists/classical musicians/dancers lives and thoughts (Hollywood etc. is too caught up with explosions and chase scenes), so these writers fantasize every stereotype/cliche they think they know into their scripts, and then the producer-directors, despite hiring a few experts to advise, slavishly bow to the bean-counter 'suits' or glitz-meisters of La La Land to excize anything that could be "so slow/boring" as an intellectually stimulating discussion or normal reactions/actions.

I thank all gods that Mr. Wiseman and other documentarians exist for their efforts to show the reality of dancers' life and work. At least most docs I've seen demonstrate that, though they may have a few issues like the rest of the human population, dancers are disciplined, determined, sensitive and generous people. (FYI: Mr. Wiseman will receive a Lifetime Achievement Award this year from the Aademy?--Gee it only took them nearly 40+ years to wake up and realize how deserving he was!)

APOLOGIES to ALL for the rant. :tomato:

(BTW: I am, of course, very glad Katherine Bigelow won the Best Director Academy Award, but I'm still waiting for the day the Academy powers-that-be award a woman director for making an epic of ideas, rather than an action pic. Until they give a Best Director award to a film without a single explosion, chase, or F-word, I will never trust anyone there to have read anything other than a comic book.)

#28 sunday

sunday

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:06 AM

Say again, what was the title of the film? Black 'Coon?

(edited to add)

Don't misunderstand me. Ms. Portman is one of my favorite actresses since Léon. She is also a very smart individual with notable scholarly achievements.

Also I desperately pray for Ms. Portman not being a forum member. If she is, then :clapping: and :flowers:.

Edited by sunday, 23 July 2010 - 02:10 PM.

#29 DanceActress

DanceActress

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:11 AM

I tend to disagree, but you credit the production team to think that such subtleties would be important to them. I suspect they were more concerned with general body type and facial bone structure, a close look-alike who, with the help of soft focus, the right lighting and good makeup, would be virtually indistinguishable from the non-dancing star.

All good points, carbro. I think Vishneva would have made an interesting double for Portman, but I'm sure filming around her schedule would have been insane. In any event, I'm looking forward to seeing Sarah Lane onscreen, and ballet-themed films are such a rarity that I shouldn't quibble about casting.

#30 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,214 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:53 AM

Say again, what was the title of the film? Black 'Coon?

Raccoon is good, but I was thinking along the lines of "Zorro - as you've NEVER seen him before!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):