This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Yikes! :speechless-smiley-003: Are we sure Vincent Cassel isn't the villain of the movie? He's scarier than either of the two girls.

If it's an American-made movie, I'm pretty sure Vincent Cassel is ALWAYS the villain.

Very true, ks04. His over the top hamminess just MIGHT make this film worth seeing. Otherwise, based on the trailer, the film looks atrocious.

Increasingly this is beginning to look like "Showgirls" with greater pretensions and on pointe (and "Showgirls" in turn was a topless variation on "All About Eve"). "Showgirls" provided some good campy fun but I'm not sure that "fun" is in Darren Aronofsky's working vocabulary. Still, wait and see.

I didn't see this mentioned here yet, but apparently Aranofsky started off conceiving of THE WRESTLER and BLACK SWAN as a single movie.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/08/31/darren-aronofskys-black-swan-and-the-wrestler-started-as-one-movie/

"At one point, way before I made ‘The Wrestler,’ I was actually developing a project that was about a love affair between a ballet dancer and a wrestler, and then it kind of split off into two movies. I realized pretty quickly that taking two worlds like wrestling and ballet was much too much for one movie. So I guess my dream is that some art theater will play the films as a double feature some day."

-goro-

"The Wrestling Swan" starring Mickey Rourke and Natalie Portman, about two people whose love affair can never be. Rourke meets Portman by knocking out Prince Siegfried backstage and crashing a performance of "Swan Lake" in full wrestling regalia and an initially repelled Portman proves her love for Rourke by wrestling Marisa Tomei and/or Mila Kunis in a giant vat of Jell-O before a cheering throng.

Sorry.

A review from today's Telegraph and the reviewer seems to like it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/filmreviews/7975546/Venice-Film-Festival-2010-Black-Swan-review.html

The story line reminds me of a film called The Piano Teacher:

http://www.kino.com/pianoteacher/

This film also featured an adult woman still living with her mother with a habit of self harming. I imagine that Black Swan as an American film is unlikely to be as sexually graphic as The Piano Teacher, but I find it disturbing that women working in areas of the arts far removed from popular culture are depicted as sexually perverted with a subtext that somehow blames their artistic milieu for their psychological problems.

"The Wrestling Swan" starring Mickey Rourke and Natalie Portman, about two people whose love affair can never be. Rourke meets Portman by knocking out Prince Siegfried backstage and crashing a performance of "Swan Lake" in full wrestling regalia and an initially repelled Portman proves her love for Rourke by wrestling Marisa Tomei and/or Mila Kunis in a giant vat of Jell-O before a cheering throng.

:rofl: ^ 2

:rofl: ^ 2

:rofl:^3

Which one goes after their own forehead with the staple gun - Rourke or Portman? I'd say Portman, judging from the trailer ...

Favorite comment from the EW PopWatch comment thread:

KISS does ballet.

I hope it is every bit as lurid as that trailer makes it look.

I haven't seen the film, but I suspect that Fracci is on to something. I was struck by this sentence from the Variety review: "Brief glimpses of Beth on her way out remind how quickly young replacements are cast aside in the cruel world of ballet..."

That's rich, coming from Hollywood, where the shelf life of many "It Girls" seems to be a year, perhaps two. What exactly leads the reviewer and, presumably, the screenwriter to think that the ballet world, particularly its New York incarnation, regards dancers as disposable? The careers of Irina Dvorovenko (professional dancer for 20 years), Paloma Herrera (19 years), Julie Kent (25 years), Diana Vishneva (15 years), Maria Kowroski (16 years), Jennie Somogyi (17 years), Wendy Whelan (26 years), perhaps Darci Kistler, who just retired after 30 years with NYCB?