• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#16 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:25 AM

I think La Sylphide is a tough sell to the public regardless of who is performing it. It does not have the same popularity as ballets like SL, Giselle and the like. That's why ABT does not revive it very often (in contrast to SL, which is done EVERY year.) Also, Sylphide is a short ballet which must be accompanied by a "filler" ballet (this time, it's Airs, which I like). I suspect many people feel they do not get their money's-worth with a relatively short one act ballet.

#17 zerbinetta

zerbinetta

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:40 AM

On the other hand, take a look at the seating chart - there are many seats available for June 15 performance all of a sudden. And I do mean prized orchestra seats including K-1 which, if I am not mistaken, is normally reserved for the New York Times critic, especially on a prima night.

I believe the Times seats are L 1/3. Two of our subscriptions are K 1/3 and Macaulay is right behind us.

#18 dufay

dufay

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:16 AM

Can someone tell me about how long "Airs" is? Trying to plan my transportation back to Philly

#19 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:02 PM

Guesstimate: 35 minutes, +/- .

#20 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:57 AM

According to ABT site, David H. will replace Maxim B. in LS w/ Nona A. and Herman C. will do the 2 La Sylphide of Natalia O.

#21 RUKen

RUKen

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:57 AM

Herman Cornejo is now listed as Natalia Osipova's partner on Wednesday night as well as Monday night. David Hallberg is listed to perform on Tuesday and Thursday with Nina Ananiashvili and with Hee Seo on Friday. No press release has yet been made.

#22 RUKen

RUKen

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:43 AM

Herman Cornejo is no longer listed as Natalia Osipova's partner on Wednesday night; the schedule has "tba". David Hallberg is still listed to perform on Tuesday and Thursday with Nina Ananiashvili and with Hee Seo on Friday. No press release has yet been made.

#23 Classic_Ballet

Classic_Ballet

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:45 PM

Herman Cornejo is no longer listed as Natalia Osipova's partner on Wednesday night; the schedule has "tba". David Hallberg is still listed to perform on Tuesday and Thursday with Nina Ananiashvili and with Hee Seo on Friday. No press release has yet been made.

will abt surprise us with Vasiliev, now that he is prob in dc ?
just a thought :lol:

#24 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:00 PM

I thought that perhaps Kevin might get an emergency Bolshoi star to sub on Wed evening. We'll see. The Bolshoi doesn't seem to be terribly interested in making life easy for dancers who want to dance elsewhere, so I wouldn't hold my breath. Also, Angel used to do this role. I thought that he might end up in the role. We'll see.

#25 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:10 PM

will abt surprise us with Vasiliev, now that he is prob in dc ?
just a thought :lol:

I do not think that Ivan V. has danced this role before.Angel C. seems the most likely replacement unless ABT will surprise us w/ one of thier upcoming male dancer( Hammoudi? Tamm?)

#26 zerbinetta

zerbinetta

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:17 PM

Can someone tell me about how long "Airs" is? Trying to plan my transportation back to Philly

You didn't say which night you were attending, so I wrote down the timings tonight:
Airs: 7:35 - 8:02
Sylphide Act I: 8:24 - 8:58
Sylphide Acr II: 9:18 - 9:49

Timings include applause.

ABT has been very good about keeping intermissions to about twenty minutes.

#27 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,001 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:49 PM

Many thanks, zerbinetta!

This gives me a much better sense of when I should tell my friends to expect me back on the couch.

#28 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:27 AM

You didn't say which night you were attending, so I wrote down the timings tonight:
Airs: 7:35 - 8:02
Sylphide Act I: 8:24 - 8:58
Sylphide Acr II: 9:18 - 9:49

Timings include applause.

ABT has been very good about keeping intermissions to about twenty minutes.

But how was the ballet and the dancers ?

#29 sealings

sealings

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:51 AM

Osipova and Cornejo were excellent! Herman was the only dancer on stage keeping up with Osipova, however. The corps were a little wonky, especially compared to last week in Giselle. They were out of synch at times, arms everywhere. When dancing with Osipova and Cornejo, she seemed to be taking different cues than the dancers behind her. Daniil Simkin was a funny and slimy Gurn. Nancy Raffa replaced Barbee as Madge. She received a big cheer at the opening of the second act when the curtains opened on her stirring her cauldron. The crowd seemed reserved last night overall though, I thought. Lots of empty seats and not much cheering. Osipova finally got some bravas at the curtain call. She and Herman definitely deserved some cheers and whoops during the performance; she's quite a force. She has light, very animated arms and a sweet appearance. It seems Macauley unleashed his entire arsenal of complimentary adjectives on her in his review this weekend, and well deserved.

Herman's dancing was just excellent, especially his jumping in the first half! Also, loved Gemma Bond's tantrum at the end of act one. This is a fun ballet.

Airs was boring. I'm going to skip it if I go back to see Part. It was about 30 minutes long.

#30 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:54 AM

But how was the ballet and the dancers ?

Who performed the Monday eve performance??-Did Osipova dance??--and WHO was her partner. Surprisingly scant information around for such a high profile program. I have tickets for her Wed Eve performance and would love to know who her partner will be---very disappointed in the Hallberg cancellation---hoping and praying it is not Cornejo.

Oh, well--foiled again!! I wrote the above before Sealings entry.---maybe they will let Simkin do it---live in hope and die in despair :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):