This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Airs/La Sylphide - Spring 09 Season

That is incredibly insulting to Xiomara Reyes, provided her removal is not due to illness/injury. I don't think she has ever performed a lead role on opening night. Moreover, if this is true, her number of performances in this ballet have been cut in half.

That is incredibly insulting to Xiomara Reyes. I don't think she has ever performed a lead role on opening night. Moreover, if this is true, her number of performances in this ballet have been cut in half.

I think its not fair to reach final conclussion if we dont know all the facts.

Actually, I just saw that her giselle is also been removed. Ricetto will perform again Saturday matinee.

Given the circumtances, I would have liked to see Part given the opening night rather than a dancer who is not a member of the company. I guess they wanted Cornejo to dance that night and that was probably the driven force to give the opening night to Osipova.

Well, to not add oil to the fire, but still remind about "justice".....

Osipova was scheduled to dance La Sulpide TWICE on 6/17 and then 6/19, but when the Bolshoi was not happy about ABT scheduling her without their prior consent, her 6/19 was cancelled. I guess, it's pretty righteous to schedule her back at an earlier date, plus she'd dance on Saturday, 6/13. So, the earlier arrangement of THREE performances is being restored.

And Osipova was dancing La Sulphide at Bolshoi many times being couched by Koborg......

I will try to see her cramming it between my trips to DC to watch Bolshoi's Corsaire

Officially, from the company:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE ANNOUNCES CAST CHANGES

Natalia Osipova to Perform La Sylphide on Monday evening, June 15;

Maria Riccetto to Perform Giselle at Matinee on Saturday, June 13

American Ballet Theatre has announced cast changes due to an ankle injury to Principal Dancer Xiomara Reyes. Guest Artist Natalia Osipova will replace Ms. Reyes in the title role in La Sylphide on Monday evening, June 15 and ABT Soloist Maria Riccetto will replace Ms. Reyes in the title role of Giselle at the matinee performance on Saturday, June 13.

Guest Artist Natalia Osipova was born in Moscow and trained at the Moscow State Academy of Choreography. In 2004, she joined the corps de ballet of the Bolshoi Ballet and was promoted to first soloist in January 2008 and to leading soloist in October 2008. Her repertoire with the Bolshoi includes Gamzatti in La Bayadère, Medora in Le Corsaire, Kitri in Don Quixote, Jeanne in the Flames of Paris, Aspicia in The Pharaoh’s Daughter, the Spanish Bride in Swan Lake, title roles in Coppelia, Giselle, Paquita and La Sylphide, as well as soloist roles in George Balanchine’s Serenade and Symphony in C, Alexei Ratmansky’s Russian Seasons, and Twyla Tharp’s In the Upper Room. Ms. Osipova’s awards include the Grand Prize at the Prix de Luxembourg International Ballet Competition in 2003, the Golden Mask (2007) for her performance in Twyla Tharp’s In the Upper Room, the Golden Mask (2008) for her performance in La Sylphide and the Benois de la Danse Award as Best Female Dancer (2008). The 2009 Spring season marks Ms. Osipova’s first appearance with American Ballet Theatre.

A native of Montevideo, Uruguay, Maria Riccetto began her ballet studies in 1990 at the Uruguay National Ballet School. In 1995, she was hired as an apprentice by the national ballet company, S.O.D.R.E. In 1998, Ms. Riccetto received a full scholarship at the North Carolina School of the Arts. She joined American Ballet Theatre’s corps de ballet in August 1999 and was promoted to Soloist in 2002. Her repertory with ABT includes Calliope in Apollo, first and third Shades in La Bayadère, Gulnare and an Odalisque in Le Corsaire, Mercedes, Amour and a flower girl in Don Quixote, the peasant pas de deux and Zulma in Giselle, Clara in The Nutcracker, Lilac

Fairy and Princess Florine in The Sleeping Beauty, the Young Girl in Le Spectre de la Rose, Natalia in On the Dneiper, the pas de trois in Swan Lake, the Mazurka and Prelude in Les Sylphides and roles in Baker’s Dozen, Brief Fling, Company B, In The Upper Room, The Leaves Are Fading, Sinfonietta, Symphonic Variations and George Balanchine’s Ballo della Regina, Mozartiana, Symphonie Concertante, Symphony in C and Theme and Variations. She created a leading role in Benjamin Millepied’s From Here On Out and debuted in the title role of Giselle in February 2009.

Tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s 2009 Metropolitan Opera House season, priced $19-$130, are available online, at the Met box office or by phone at 212-362-6000. The Metropolitan Opera House is located on Broadway between 64th and 65th streets in New York City. For more information, visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org <http://www.abt.org> .

Well I'm certainly sorry that Reyes is injured, bad luck for her and I hope she is soon on the mend.

That being said, I feel better about Osipova's taking over her Sylphide on Monday night. The thought of ABT pulling Reyes out arbitrarily wasn't a very nice one and I'm glad there is a legitimate reason, although, again, my sympathies go out to Xiomara for her injury.

Given the situation, I give credit to ABT management for using this unfortunate situation to add back in Osipova's third performance this season as guest.

So Osipova gets her two Sylphides and Seo gets her opportunity.

In conclusion, I hope we see Reyes back on her feet soon.

I just recieved an e mail from ABt with the title "Just Announced". It goes on to state that Osipova will replace Reyes in La Sylphide on June 15 due to an injury to Reyes. The email then contains a little blurb on Osipova's stellar credentials. In all my years of going to ABT, I don't recall previously receiving an e mail blast regarding a cast change at ABT relating to injuries to dancers. Clearly, ABT is trying to cash in on the perceived ability of Osipova to sell tickets.

I think ABT is aware that any guest artist who comes from a venerable company like the Bolshoi will probably sell lots of tickets. That's why they are scrambling to advertise Osipova's performance on Monday as quickly as possible.

I think ABT is aware that any guest artist who comes from a venerable company like the Bolshoi will probably sell lots of tickets. That's why they are scrambling to advertise Osipova's performance on Monday as quickly as possible.

On the other hand, take a look at the seating chart - there are many seats available for June 15 performance all of a sudden. And I do mean prized orchestra seats including K-1 which, if I am not mistaken, is normally reserved for the New York Times critic, especially on a prima night.

It looks to me like a lot of people who had their tickets to see Osipova's Sylphide on Wednesday and Reyes on Monday are exchanging for other performances. Thus the sudden avalanche of great seats.

I think La Sylphide is a tough sell to the public regardless of who is performing it. It does not have the same popularity as ballets like SL, Giselle and the like. That's why ABT does not revive it very often (in contrast to SL, which is done EVERY year.) Also, Sylphide is a short ballet which must be accompanied by a "filler" ballet (this time, it's Airs, which I like). I suspect many people feel they do not get their money's-worth with a relatively short one act ballet.

On the other hand, take a look at the seating chart - there are many seats available for June 15 performance all of a sudden. And I do mean prized orchestra seats including K-1 which, if I am not mistaken, is normally reserved for the New York Times critic, especially on a prima night.

I believe the Times seats are L 1/3. Two of our subscriptions are K 1/3 and Macaulay is right behind us.

Herman Cornejo is now listed as Natalia Osipova's partner on Wednesday night as well as Monday night. David Hallberg is listed to perform on Tuesday and Thursday with Nina Ananiashvili and with Hee Seo on Friday. No press release has yet been made.

Herman Cornejo is no longer listed as Natalia Osipova's partner on Wednesday night; the schedule has "tba". David Hallberg is still listed to perform on Tuesday and Thursday with Nina Ananiashvili and with Hee Seo on Friday. No press release has yet been made.

Herman Cornejo is no longer listed as Natalia Osipova's partner on Wednesday night; the schedule has "tba". David Hallberg is still listed to perform on Tuesday and Thursday with Nina Ananiashvili and with Hee Seo on Friday. No press release has yet been made.

will abt surprise us with Vasiliev, now that he is prob in dc ?

just a thought :lol:

I thought that perhaps Kevin might get an emergency Bolshoi star to sub on Wed evening. We'll see. The Bolshoi doesn't seem to be terribly interested in making life easy for dancers who want to dance elsewhere, so I wouldn't hold my breath. Also, Angel used to do this role. I thought that he might end up in the role. We'll see.

will abt surprise us with Vasiliev, now that he is prob in dc ?

just a thought :lol:

I do not think that Ivan V. has danced this role before.Angel C. seems the most likely replacement unless ABT will surprise us w/ one of thier upcoming male dancer( Hammoudi? Tamm?)