This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Morphoses 2009 season

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:45 AM

the most major {flaw} being that while Mr. Wheeldon is accomplished at creating dances, he doesn’t have a flair for programming them.

Didn't a lot of people say that after his first season?

#32 DeborahB

DeborahB

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:48 PM

I saw program B again today. Although I was underwhelmed with "Continuum" on Friday night, I loved it today. It seems like the type of ballet that gets better upon repeated viewings. Unfortunately, I did not like "Softly as I Leave You" any better today, despite the fact that I adore Jacoby & Pronk. That said, my very discerning friend absolutely loved this ballet. He said it was probably the most sensual ballet he had ever seen. And once again the audience went absolutely wild for this piece. I did enjoy "Rhapsody Fantaisie" much more this time as well. I still think it
could do with some tightening up, among other things, but it was very enjoyable, and the dancing was superb.
Cameron Grant (of NYCB) played the very difficult Ligeti in "Continuum" brilliantly, and both he and Susan Walters (also of NYCB) made every note of the various Rachmaninoff pieces in "Rhapsody Fantaisie" soar.

#33 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:17 PM

Favorite overheard comment at the 11/1 performance of Morphoses Program B, as the third film clip began: "What, again with the Vineyard?"

#34 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:34 AM

I saw Program A on Thurs and program B on Sunday. I thought the film clips were a waste of time. Moreover, I thought that the film of the conductor and orchestra (you know, where the orchestra was swaying to the beat) was insulting to my intelligence. We do not need visual distractions in order to appreciate classical music, thank you. Count me among the audience members who thought Softly as I Leave You was awful. Now for the good news. I really enjoyed Rhapsodie Fantasie, and I hope it returns in the future. Most of the choreography was excellent. I've seen Continuum before, and I was more than happy to see it again. Though it is not as good as Polyphonia, it is a well crafted, interesting ballet. I liked the opening night Ratmansky Bolero, although it is no masterpiece. I was not a big fan of Commedia last year; I enjoyed it slightly more this year. On balance, a very mixed season of highs and lows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):