This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet on television, sort of

the attached scan shows an undated, uncaptioned publicity(?) photo of Carol Burnett and Edward Villella. (or at least what i assume to be EV the photo's seller only identified CB.)

all i can find in the NYPL cat. w/ regard to a ref. to a connection between the two performers is an undated film of the DON QUIXOTE pas de deux which EV danced on CB's show; this listing, however, makes no mention in of EV's dancing any other number w/ CB, so this might come from another occasion.

post-848-1244215959_thumb.jpg

For a moment, when I looked at Villella's left foot, I thought he was wearing a toe shoe.

it really does look like a toe shoe---it looks like CB lost part of the shrubbery on her head. that look on EV's face is priceless.

all i can find in the NYPL cat. w/ regard to a ref. to a connection between the two performers is an undated film of the DON QUIXOTE pas de deux which EV danced on CB's show; this listing, however, makes no mention in of EV's dancing any other number w/ CB, so this might come from another occasion.

It looks like he was on her show a couple of times, once with Violette Verdy, but I can't find any info on the skits or dances: Season 3, Episode 3 and Season 4, Episde 19.

sorry the first scan wasn't more clear, and i see where the question of shoes comes in.

here now is a scan of a detail to show that EV is wearing ballet slippers on both feet.

post-848-1244232993_thumb.jpg

Villella mentions the collaboration in his autobiography but provides no choreographic details.

"In the 1970s....I appeared on televison with Carol Burnett, who satirized some ballet conventions

with me on her show. Carol Burnett is an artist with a true comic sense, and she investigated and

really understood the art of ballet. Her spoofing was good-natured, intelligent, and a lot of fun.

I felt ballet could stand the ribbing."