This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

What Drives You to See a Performance--Part 2

Why You Go  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Are You a Subscriber? (Multiple answers allowed)

• No
    • One ballet company, single subscription
    • One ballet company, multiple subscriptions
    • Multiple ballet companies, one or more subscriptions to each
    • Venue subscription to multiple companies (ex: Cal Perfs)
  2. 2. Are/Were You Involved in Ballet Any Other Way? (One answer)

• No
    • Yes (artistic, advanced student, backstage, administrative, parent/child of dancer, critic, etc.)
  3. 3. Do You Often See Multiple Performances of a Program? (One answer)

• No
    • Yes-which program depends mostly on content
    • Yes-which program depends mostly on casting
    • Yes-I'm already there, and I'm going to see whatever is on

In the balletomane poll, Ray asked:

Most of us attend ballet performances for a variety of mixed motives. But if you had to characterize your reasons in one of three ways, would you say that in the main you generally attend ballet performances to see:

( ) particular dancers, no matter what the work

( ) particular works, no matter who's dancing

( ) particular dancers dancing specific works

Again, this is asking you to generalize your experience (but you could interpret "particular dancers" to mean "particular companies"; similarly, you could interpret "particular works" to mean particular kinds of works, i.e., the classics, or particular choreographers)

This is part 2 of a two-part extended poll based on his original question.

This remind me how often do I get the question by my coworkers when they see me getting ready after work to go to the ballet:

"But are you going to see THE SAME "show"...?!-(oh, how do I hate that "show" thing... :beg: )

the answer being..."Well, yeah!!, for which is not the same one...is a different day with different dancers...duh!! :beg:

and then the usual reaction...

:wink:

This remind me how often do I get the question by my coworkers when they see me getting ready after work to go to the ballet:

"But are you going to see THE SAME "show"...?!-(oh, how do I hate that "show" thing... :angry2: )

the answer being..."Well, yeah!!, for which is not the same one...is a different day with different dancers...duh!! :excl:

:wub:

And they never, ever understand, do they! However, I actually persuaded a work friend who likes (not loves) ballet, and who doesn't know much about it, to see two Jewels last season and I think (hope!) she's been persuaded how different a ballet can be with different casts (good for the box office, too).

Personally, I'd go to every performance, regardless of who/what, but can't due to financial/distance issues.

Edited to add: Should point out too that there are times when the same dancer(s) in the same ballet can be completely different from one performance to another. That variability is, for me, one of the attractions of the performing arts in general.

Which is kind of funny, since they'll see Star Wars six times or Cats every time it comes to town, but don't see the similarities.

I remember reading Croce writing about how different Farrell performances were from one another in the same roles, and I think the example she gave was of people talking about the great Saratoga "Chaconne".

"But are you going to see THE SAME "show"...?!-(oh, how do I hate that "show" thing... :beg: )

the answer being..."Well, yeah!!, for which is not the same one...is a different day with different dancers...duh!! :beg:

:wink:

I know exactly what you mean!! No-one in work could believe I went to Sunderland to see six performances of Romeo and Juliet (six different casts too). Every performance is different even if it is the same dancers.