What Drives You to See a Performance--Part 1

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Why You Go (51 member(s) have cast votes)

What is the main reason you see any given performance? (One answer)

1. To see particular non-related dancers, no matter what the work (3 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

2. To see my relative/child/friend, no matter what the work (1 votes [1.96%])

Percentage of vote: 1.96%

3. To see particular works, no matter who's dancing (11 votes [21.57%])

Percentage of vote: 21.57%

4. To see particular dancers dancing specific works (27 votes [52.94%])

Percentage of vote: 52.94%

5. It's on my subscription (1 votes [1.96%])

Percentage of vote: 1.96%

6. It's my profession-my publications determine market/companies (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. It's my profession-I pick companies/performances (3 votes [5.88%])

8. I have little opportunity to see ballet, and I see what I can (5 votes [9.80%])

Percentage of vote: 9.80%

What kind of ballet market do you live in? (One answer)

1. Local/regional professional company(ies), many touring companies (36 votes [70.59%])

Percentage of vote: 70.59%

2. Local/regional professional company with no overnight needed, few or no touring companies (10 votes [19.61%])

Percentage of vote: 19.61%

3. Closest professional company requires overnight or very long drive (3 votes [5.88%])

4. No close professional company, closest touring companies require overnight or long drives (2 votes [3.92%])

Percentage of vote: 3.92%

Do you travel to see ballet? (Multiple answers allowed)

1. No (26 votes [38.24%])

Percentage of vote: 38.24%

2. Overnight or weekend trips (18 votes [26.47%])

Percentage of vote: 26.47%

3. Longer trips for mainly for ballet (11 votes [16.18%])

Percentage of vote: 16.18%

4. Longer trips where ballet is one activity (13 votes [19.12%])

Percentage of vote: 19.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:44 AM

Barbara, I wrote off the bus, because where I live is no longer served by that vector. When I was a kid, yeah, but no longer. So that means a taxi ride to Newburgh, and then the long and boring bus trip. We here in the Mid-Hudson are literally tantalized by the vagaries of the modern transportation net. Just near enough to seem to be ballet-accessible, but in reality, far enough to make travel problematical.

PS. I think it's pied--terre, but I know what you mean.

#17 Ballet fan

Ballet fan

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:27 AM

What drives me to see a ballet performance is two things that come together: 1) I love the art form and 2) In the country I live, a live ballet performance is extremely rare. I had the opportunity to see Yulia Makhalina when she came here but I was 8 years old, however I was mesmerized. The country has not a single national or regional ballet company and touring companies come like every five years or so. The most reliable source that I have to watch ballet is DVD and the Internet, more specifically YouTube. Such a situation is actually sad for a ballet lover like me because live performance is the way ballet is intended to be seen. If the were more opportunities to watch it live I'd definitely take every opportunity to watch a great performance of the classics or more modern works.

#18 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 01:33 PM

...[the] love [of] the art form...

Ditto

#19 LiLing

LiLing

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:27 PM

You forgot one category, comps. I will go to see anything for which I am given free tickets! :D

This poll got me thinking, and I realize my habits have changed over the years. I am still most anxious to see new work, but I do find myself more motivated to see specific dancers in roles, whereas my interest used to be focused almost exclusively on the choreography.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):