19 replies to this topic

#16 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 03:11 AM

some time in the 1970s (?) anna-marie and david holmes staged at least the pas de six for dance theater of harlem.

Nice. Well, as Anna-Marie will be staging DON Q for the Wasington Ballet this fall (a great coup, IMO), perhaps the troupe could also retain her expertise for LAURENCIA PAS DE SIX? No harm in wishing.

#17 mom2

mom2

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 02:04 PM

Ms. Holmes set some parts of Laurencia for my daughter's ballet school this year. :D

The students enjoyed working with her a great deal, and the performances I saw were lovely!

I hadn't ever heard of this ballet before; when I looked it up I saw that it was based on the play Fuente Ovejuna? Is this correct? I remember having to read this play many years ago when I was in University and studying in Spain.........

m2

#18 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:11 AM

if i remember correctly also, when nureyev staged it for the royal ballet she assisted him.

#19 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:52 PM

... I saw that it was based on the play Fuente Ovejuna? Is this correct? I remember having to read this play many years ago when I was in University and studying in Spain.........

I had to studied it too when I was in High school.

[size=4][font="Comic Sans MS"]"Quien mato al Comendador...?! FuenteOvejuna, Senor!"[/font] [/size] :)

(Who killed the Comendador?! Fuenteovejuna Lord !)

Lope De Vega.

#20 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:22 PM

This youtube posted by ditogam has English subtitles.

Chabukiani's Laurencia returned to stage ... rare shots from the premiere 1939

"Vakhtang Chabukiani's name may not be on everyone's lips in the west but, as a dancer of great power and virtuosity and the choreographer of Laurencia in 1939, he played a vital role in the development of ballet in the Soviet Union.

The Mikhailovsky Theatre presents the revival of Vakhtang Chabukiani's masterpiece Laurencia, based on the play Fuente Ovejuna by Lope de Vega. Chabukiani was one of the first to create a new choreographic language by means of his own particular blend of folk dance and classical ballet. Laurencia was premiered of 1939 at the Kirov Theatre.

Following the St Petersburg premiere of Laurencia in June 2010, London will be the first city to witness the historical revival of this famous ballet, after a forty year absence from the Russian stage, in a new full-length production created for the Mikhailovsky Ballet by Mikhail Messerer."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opnfbVi1y6w

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):