This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

It wasn't a great dress, but it was not a disaster either. I'm sure she must attend multiple functions every day. Given the number of dresses/formal wear she must wear every single week, it's not realistic to expect that every outfit is going to be a stunner.

Am I the only one who was underwhelmed by Michelle Obama and her dress? That said, it was magnificent that she showed up and even better that she took the time to speak.

Mrs. Obama’s not a raving beauty like Diana or an unconventional one like Jackie. She’s an attractive middle aged lady with a personal trainer and a highly variable fashion sense. Sometimes the frock is smashing, sometimes she shows up in something that looks like my grandmother’s curtains. You just never know. (Her worst moment, I think, was when she was photographed wearing Jackie’s capri pants.) However, women with hips everywhere look to her as a beacon and a guide.

The administration has given every sign that it intends to give support of the arts a lot of prominence, even if some of it may be symbolic. I am bound to point out that this will give them political brownie points with Obama’s core liberal constituency and “a semblance of class” as JFK once put it. Still, it’s a Good Thing and props to Mrs. Obama for showing up and speaking strongly.

Edited by dirac
The administration has given every sign that it intends to give support of the parts a lot of prominence, even if some of it may be symbolic.

OT but...

following on the discussion of Michelle Obama's fashion taste, and recent discussion in the nytimes (of all places) of the emphasis her clothes place on her arms, it took me a long time to recognize this for a typo! :wink:

Mrs. Obama’s not a raving beauty like Diana or an unconventional one like Jackie. She’s an attractive middle aged lady with a personal trainer and a highly variable fashion sense. Sometimes the frock is smashing, sometimes she shows up in something that looks like my grandmother’s curtains. You just never know. (Her worst moment, I think, was when she was photographed wearing Jackie’s capri pants.)

I missed that one, but I thought the election night, neon-red-bisected-with-black thing was a flamboyant eysore. Perhaps it looked better in person. Otherwise, yeah, to flip the image, she's usually a sight for sore eyes, and her support for and evident love of the performing arts is ever so heartening. "Michelle O" indeed!

Question about the Theme finale. Did the partnering go well? The partnering can so easily look awkward in that section of the ballet. Also the NYTimes review mentioned something about looking forward to Lane/Simkin in the ballet, but I don't think he is cast to do it.

Daniil Simkin.... and partnering....

Let's just say he has a lot of work to do in that department before they'll put him out there in Tchai pas de deux or Theme or any other complex Balanchine ballet....

Daniil's a beautiful, beautiful dancer and perfect for these roles in every other way....

Daniil Simkin.... and partnering....

Let's just say he has a lot of work to do in that department before they'll put him out there in Tchai pas de deux or Theme

or any other complex Balanchine ballet....

Daniil's a beautiful, beautiful dancer and perfect for these roles in every other way....

Danil is a great dancer, he needs to beef up to improve his partnering.

I liked Michelle's dress, it looked even better in the papers and on TV.

Can we please stop criticizing Mrs. Obama's appearance, whether it's the way she sits, stands, or dresses? The discussion should focus on ballet and if her name is to be brought up at all, it should be about her role in promoting the arts and how her attendance at these events could change the public perception of the nation's performing arts.

Can we please stop criticizing Mrs. Obama's appearance, whether it's the way she sits, stands, or dresses? The discussion should focus on ballet and if her name is to be brought up at all, it should be about her role in promoting the arts and how her attendance at these events could change the public perception of the nation's performing arts.

A great deal of the mostly positive personal publicity Mrs. Obama has received since her husband took office has revolved around the way she looks and dresses. It's a subject she has been happy to talk about. She has been hailed as a new style setter. If it’s all right to for some to compliment her on her looks and style, it’s not clear to me why less positive remarks, as long as they do not veer into nastiness, are unacceptable. You will note that those (like me) who have been less than adoring have also larded our posts with praise.

But in any case, I'm not Obama's publicist. If I'm not crazy for the dress, I'll say so. :thanks:

>The discussion should focus on ballet...

Well, I'm waiting for someone to start a thread about ABT's first week of perfs.... Anybody here attend Tuesday's perf or yesterday's (Wed's) perfs?

:)

A few years ago there was a very thought provoking exhibition at the Met of Jacqueline Kennedy's outfits. There's more than the outfits themselves (most of hers were by Oleg Cassini) but the sense built throughout the show (I recall a 10 page instruction letter to Cassini outlining her hopes and ideas for the outfits for a trip to India) that her glamor was considered an important PR tool on foreign visits. It may seem shallow, but image can be a very powerful thing. I think the First Lady is quite cognizant of that.

I understand that image plays an important role in the First Lady's life, and I'm not saying that it shouldn't be talked about at all. I happen to enjoy following her different outfit choices, and I'm not so daft as to think she doesn't put a conscious effort into her dress. I simply thought that since this is a thread dedicated to the ABT gala that there should be more discussion on the performances and focus on the content of Mrs. Obama's speech.

:)

Is there a problem with what I said?

Personally, When I think of the Spring Gala, The things that come to mind are not only the Wonderful Dancing and Samplings of what is to come in the New Met Season, but also the Fanfare and excitement of the Patrons/Celebrities in attendance. I attended both the Opening Night and the After Party/Dinner last year and besides experiencing an exciting Night of Ballet, an added Bonus was to experience up close and personal an "Oscar-Like" atmosphere, and we all know that what the Celebrities wear is a very big part of the topic of conversation. So Under the topic of ABT Gala i think is the one time that it is NOT off Topic to discuss such issues. I would not be interested in discussing attire under most any other thread of discussion about the ABT Met Season. Having said that.....Im ready to find a New thread and read how the Met Season is going!!!!!! P.S. I LOVED Debra Roker's Dress ( AL's Wife- Liked his suit too) :D

:clapping:

Is there a problem with what I said?

Oh, none at all...! :clapping: I was just going to keep going on Mrs. Obama's fashion issues, but then I erased the whole thing and kept my mouth closed, realizing that what you just said about moving the discussion way too far out of the ballet context was true.

Peace out! :D

Personally, When I think of the Spring Gala, The things that come to mind are not only the Wonderful Dancing and Samplings of what is to come in the New Met Season, but also the Fanfare and excitement of the Patrons/Celebrities in attendance. I attended both the Opening Night and the After Party/Dinner last year and besides experiencing an exciting Night of Ballet, an added Bonus was to experience up close and personal an "Oscar-Like" atmosphere, and we all know that what the Celebrities wear is a very big part of the topic of conversation. So Under the topic of ABT Gala i think is the one time that it is NOT off Topic to discuss such issues. I would not be interested in discussing attire under most any other thread of discussion about the ABT Met Season. Having said that.....Im ready to find a New thread and read how the Met Season is going!!!!!! P.S. I LOVED Debra Roker's Dress ( AL's Wife- Liked his suit too) :D

Iman's *(SP?) dress in Vibrant Kelly Green was stunning.

The ABT Gala is turning into a NYC version of the Oscars. Ivanka Trump was stunning as well, she took time out to sign some Children's autographs, she was very nice.

Enjoy the weekend!

I attended both the Opening Night and the After Party/Dinner last year and besides experiencing an exciting Night of Ballet, an added Bonus was to experience up close and personal an "Oscar-Like" atmosphere, and we all know that what the Celebrities wear is a very big part of the topic of conversation. So Under the topic of ABT Gala i think is the one time that it is NOT off Topic to discuss such issues.

It's a little like our annual Oscar thread, where we talk about the clothes as well as who won what and why.

Old Fashioned, I don't think anyone thought there was something wrong with what you said. We always like to hear from you. :huh:

That green looked beautiful on Iman, but then so would a burlap bag. Gorgeous woman.