• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:08 AM

There has been a report this morning of the passing of Ninel Kurgapkina at the age of 80 in a car accident near St. Petersburg. Nothing available in the news yet. Anyone with further news - it would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:38 AM

There has been a report this morning of the passing of Ninel Kurgapkina at the age of 80 in a car accident near St. Petersburg. Nothing available in the news yet. Anyone with further news - it would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, that's what I heard as well. No official news yet.

#3 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:55 AM

I never saw her perform live but I have a video memory that I'm very fond of.

On the DVD release, "The Glory of the Kirov" she dances, among other selections, an pdd to an arrangement of waltzs from Der Rosenkavalier. It's a B&W film on a rooftop sort of set overlooking old Vienna (I suppose).

She is absolutely charming, adorable really. The piece is a bit of fluff but I get a kick out of how the dancers manage the props; a cane, a fan , and a hat
amidst quite a few complicated toss lifts. It's really a lot of fun.

RIP, Ninel

#4 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:01 AM

#5 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:23 AM

RIP Mme. Kurgapkina. :D

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#6 toeprints

toeprints

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 03:11 PM

What a sad announcement. Thank God that there are films of her.

Rest in peace, Ninel.

#7 Sacto1654

Sacto1654

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 03:57 PM

Kurgapkina was not only a great dancer in her time, but she is also known for being a legendary coach at the Kirov (Mariiinsky) Theatre for many, many years. Indeed, she was Ulyana Lopatkina's coach for much of the 1990's.

Her passing is truly a huge loss to the Mariinsky Theatre. :dry:

#8 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:02 PM

in our video age a picture postcard is pretty 'small beer' as they saying once went, but without the skills or technology to provide full-scale video examples, etc. all i have to offer regarding the sudden death of N. A. Kurgapkina is this 1960 Soviet fotocard, showing N.A.K. and B. Y. Bregvadze in L. Yakobson's Strauss WALTZ "miniature."

Attached Files

#9 vrsfanatic

vrsfanatic

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:42 AM

Although there are confirmed reports from the Russian ballet community of Nella's passing, there is something inside of me wishing it were not so. Such a zest for life. An amazing talent. Too many memories of a great lady and a wonderful time in life. This news is so very sad.

Thank you for the links and photo.

#10 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:55 AM

in our video age a picture postcard is pretty 'small beer' as they saying once went, but without the skills or technology to provide full-scale video examples, etc. all i have to offer regarding the sudden death of N. A. Kurgapkina is this 1960 Soviet fotocard, showing N.A.K. and B. Y. Bregvadze in L. Yakobson's Strauss WALTZ "miniature."

Thanks rg, this is a photo from the pdd that I mentioned. Ninel is just a delight in this. Also the photo shows the top hat, cane , and fan which the two dancers
manage beautifully during the complicated moves of the pdd.

I love watching this video from time to time, glad it was filmed!

#11 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:55 AM

anybody understand russian well enough to say if this report has any further detail?

#12 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:51 AM

Ballerina Dies in Car Crash

http://www.moscowtim...0/42/377020.htm

Ninel Kurgapkina, a famous ballerina and the first partner of ballet icons Rudolf Nureyev and Mikhail Baryshnikov, died in a traffic accident Saturday outside St. Petersburg, the Mariinsky Theater said in a statement. She was 80.

No details about the accident were reported in the Russian media as of Monday afternoon. President Dmitry Medvedev issued condolences Sunday.

Kurgapkina was born in Leningrad in 1929 and graduated from the Leningrad Choreography School in 1947.

Kurgapkina was the Mariinsky Theater's prima ballerina from 1947 to 1981 and taught in the theater from 1982 to 1999. Among her students were three Mariinsky Theater prima ballerinas, Ulyana Lopatkina, Irma Nioradze and Zhanna Ayupova. She will be buried Tuesday after a memorial at the Mariinsky Theater. (MT)

#13 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:15 PM

I'm very sorry to hear of Kurgapkina's death. The ballet world has sustained two huge losses in quick succession.
Just a few months ago, Ninella was honored at the Maryinsky with a "soiree/gala" evening featuring her pupils. That's why it's so important to give thanks, show appreciation and give due honor in due season while these gems are still with us. Madame Kurgapkina, rest in peace.

#14 delibes

delibes

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:23 PM

That TV is too quick for me to get all of it, but it and the original report from the Mariinsky say she died on Friday May 8, not Saturday. The latest Izvestia report says she was hit by a car in the countryside near her dacha. They say the details are not yet released. Awful

#15 Mireille

Mireille

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:11 PM

I'm shocked and wished it was not true. Her death affects way too many people and puts a stop to her incredible talent for giving and teaching her knowledge, she certainly cannot be replaced. She has to have been the ballerina I enjoyed watching the most. I feel for all the people she left so tragically.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):