Orlando Ballet's Robert Hill re departing dancers:"I'm grateful history is going away."

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,152 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:05 AM

Moderator Note: At the request of several members, I've split this off from the original thread (concerning the Merce Cunningham Company). It deserves a discussion of its own. Bart

Another senior person really sticks his foot in it, although this time it is Orlando Ballet Artistic Director Robert Hill:

"I'm really grateful that all that history is going away," he said, referring to the departing dancers. "It will be a really short time before we have a great new company." Hill favors remounting classics with a contemporary flair; the company's 35th anniversary program in March showcased Hill's neoclassic and pop-influenced choreography to audience acclaim.

http://www.orlandose...0,2938084.story

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,117 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:51 AM

Yes, I couldn't believe that one when I posted it yesterday on the Links. An awful thing to say.

#3 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:34 AM

Another senior person really sticks his foot in it, although this time it is Orlando Ballet Artistic Director Robert Hill:

http://www.orlandose...0,2938084.story

I thought the limitations on guesting were small as well, particularly in a year when they've had their contracts shortened by three weeks.

#4 vagansmom

vagansmom

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:46 AM

I am hoping that those words were just an unfortunate utterance, the kind of thing we blurt out when we're tired and/or distracted, and that Hill didn't really mean them the way they sounded. :)

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,117 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:20 AM

Tired or no, it was a remarkably insensitive and undiplomatic thing to say. Even after the most savage layoffs employers generally manage to summon up some boilerplate about the former employees' value to the organization, etc.

#6 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,152 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:57 AM

At least these dancers have the consolation that the "history" he's so glad to get rid of is also classical ballet, which they represent.

#7 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:28 PM

Not a fan of Robert Hill at all, and a HUGE fan of Orlando Ballet, but I read the remark to mean, as well, the social "history" of the company -- the behind-the-scenes relationships and loyalties, habits and traditions that extend not only to Marks' time with them, but before, to the golden Bujones years, and to when it was called Southern Ballet Theater (some of the present dancers started with the company under that name).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):