Are you a Balletomane...?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you consider yourself a balletomane? (55 member(s) have cast votes)

Time to confess...

1. Yes (33 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. No (9 votes [16.36%])

Percentage of vote: 16.36%

3. Not sure (4 votes [7.27%])

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

4. Yes, but wouldn't say it out loud (9 votes [16.36%])

Percentage of vote: 16.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 leonid17

leonid17

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:30 PM

I have sympathy with SandyMcKean’s point of view but I feel it is financially difficult for a lot of people to go to every cast change of a particular ballet and I would add that a balletomane knows which performance to go to and those to avoid.

I could let this go, and I am definitely not feeling defensive, but this distinction may be an important point in attempting to identify oneself as being afflicted with "balletomania", so I will amplify:

My words were:

"obsessed with seeing multiple casts"

And that's exactly what I meant. I see it just as you do leonid, a true balletomane likely avoids some casts just as well as insists on seeing multiple casts. But the essense is the need to see multiple casts -- the feeling that if you don't, the entire experience lacks dimension. There is the cost issue, but beyond someone who is living a true low income lifestyle, cost is usually handled by the quality of the seat and by avoiding other expenses (PNB has some $25 seats open to every goer for every performance).

I'll just speak for me......it is seeing different dancers in the some production that adds the extra dimensions to the work. I am reminded of Picasso's "need" to paint a woman from multiple angles all at once or resign himself to not capturing her at all (well, capturing her alright, but only with a misleading representation since so much would be left out). True, I know all my dancers, and I love to see them all dance, but my real motivation is to see multiple artists interpret the same piece, the same role. It is from all those angles that I get insight into the piece (I could even say learn to love the piece). There is another benefit I didn't expect. When I know I am going to see a production 2 or 3 times, I can relax and pay attention to details, emotions, corps work, the orchestra, etc -- a freedom I never felt before I regularly started going to each production more than once. I no longer worry about "getting it", or missing something. If I want to watch a corps dancer for 5 minutes with my binoculars (following him/her around the stage), I do it since I know I will get a chance later to see what I missed. Sometimes I just watch all the feet, other times all the arms. I find my "dance education" goes up exponentially by seeing multiple casts because these other avenues (angles) open up that are impossible to explore with just one performance.

Bottom line....I agree: it's multiple casts, certainly not all casts (except sometimes :))

I believe that Sandy McKean and I are at basics, singing from the same hymn sheet.

Many a true balletomane shares their thoughts and views with other like minded persons and that is what we are doing here. When Sandy McKean says, “For example, someone who has a subscription and only sees a single performance of each program (and therefore not obsessed with seeing multiple casts) is likely not a balletomane even if they were the most knowledgeable person on the planet. “
In London in the past, almost all of the very best criticisms of new ballets were written after seeing one performance only of a new work and published the next morning. Some critics will go to see other casts if they perhaps warrant a viewing but I do not agree when you state, “But the essence is the need to see multiple casts -- the feeling that if you don't, the entire experience lacks dimension.”
I am not sure how we can measure everybody’s experience of what you call dimension as we all see performances through different eyes and use different measurements which may or may not coincide with others even in part.
“True, I know all my dancers, and I love to see them all dance, but my real motivation is to see multiple artists interpret the same piece, the same role. It is from all those angles that I get insight into the piece (I could even say learn to love the piece).”
I speak for me alone when I say in general I believe we only get true insight into a work when the choreographers chosen first cast is exhibited, because they have been chosen as an essential part of the creative process and the work has evolved with them or their type in the choreographers minds eye.
I personally go to see every first cast performance of a new work that I have appreciated, to embed the choreographer’s intention in my memory. For me subsequent casts have never or rarely met the experience that a first cast has given me. However that does not mean that I will not go to see a different cast if the work is revived.
It does mean that however much I compare and contrast the very many Odette-Odiles I have seen; I can never see them as Ivanov and Petipa did but only as I observe them.
Balanchine said something like, that his ballet would not be danced the same way after he died. Older balletomanes know this because they have been a witness and I believe that we have to learn as much as possible about production values and early casts of ballets, where possible, place them in context, watch films and also review what has been published to gain some insight wherein we can tentatively say, “I think I know quite a lot about this or that ballet.” Am I a balletomane?

#62 Arizona Native

Arizona Native

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:31 PM

Among other things, in seeing this discussion, I've come to the conclusion that anybody who actually cares what a "balletomane" is, is likely to be one. :)

#63 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:06 PM

:innocent:

#64 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:43 AM

Among other things, in seeing this discussion, I've come to the conclusion that anybody who actually cares what a "balletomane" is, is likely to be one. :pinch:

Makes sense to me! :innocent:

#65 Ray

Ray

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:33 AM

Here's another potential poll in re balletomaneness:

Most of us attend ballet performances for a variety of mixed motives. But if you had to characterize your reasons in one of three ways, would you say that in the main you generally attend ballet performances to see:

( ) particular dancers, no matter what the work

( ) particular works, no matter who's dancing

( ) particular dancers dancing specific works

Again, this is asking you to generalize your experience (but you could interpret "particular dancers" to mean "particular companies"; similarly, you could interpret "particular works" to mean particular kinds of works, i.e., the classics, or particular choreographers)

Moderators, if you think this is interesting/useful in terms of what makes up a balletomane, perhaps you could convert it to the spiffy poll format.

#66 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,131 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:46 AM

Ray, you're question is a great one. I was thinking about it and how other factors, besides time and money, would influence these decisions, and I've expanded on your question in a two-part poll:

What Drives You to See a Performance--Part 1
What Drives You to See a Performance--Part 2

We can't correlate answers -- i.e., 50% of those who choose performances because their child/relative/friend are in it are not subscribers -- and we don't know who responded to what question.

#67 gavinpaget

gavinpaget

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:52 AM

I love ballet so much i am proud to say it

#68 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,239 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:23 AM

I love ballet so much i am proud to say it

"Say it once and say it loud...I am a balletomane and I am proud..!!" :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):