Are you a Balletomane...?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you consider yourself a balletomane? (55 member(s) have cast votes)

Time to confess...

1. Yes (33 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. No (9 votes [16.36%])

Percentage of vote: 16.36%

3. Not sure (4 votes [7.27%])

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

4. Yes, but wouldn't say it out loud (9 votes [16.36%])

Percentage of vote: 16.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:34 PM

I too must plead "guilty" to SanderO's excellent description (at least to 80% of it).

#17 Arizona Native

Arizona Native

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:33 PM

When reading about ballet history -- enthralled -- I thought "balletomane" a great compliment, and something wonderful to aspire to. I think the same, today!

#18 whetherwax

whetherwax

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:25 PM

I voted no, because although I have a suscription to 5 ballets this year and will go to 2 Cinema showings of Royal Ballet performances as well as buying many DVDs, the real ambience surrounding the word is KNOWLEGE. All those who vote yes will have a vast store of knowlege and be able to critique various performances. As well , as Jonellow says, certain demographics are important. Europe, Russia and North America are the centres of ballet life, and Although the Australian Ballet is robust and full of brio it is the only one we have. Comparison feeds knowlege.

#19 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:47 PM

whetherwax, I must disagree somewhat.

Your point is a good one, but as stated, I think it excludes too much. Altho it's true that a balletomane is likely to have a great deal of knowledge, I think someone who is in the early stages of his/her "balletomane career" (if I can use that term :crying:) may still be a balletomane even tho they still have a long way to go on the knowledge curve.

Rather than emphasizing knowledge level, I'd put more emphasis on how obsessed one is with the subject, and how often (and at what effort) one goes to see ballet. For example, someone who has a subscription and only sees a single performance of each program (and therefore not obsessed with seeing multiple casts) is likely not a balletomane even if they were the most knowledgeable person on the planet.

#20 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,217 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:52 PM

Ballet scholars vs. Balletomanes maybe...?

#21 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:59 AM

Rather than emphasizing knowledge level, I'd put more emphasis on how obsessed one is with the subject, and how often (and at what effort) one goes to see ballet.

I agree. As Mel and Bart noted, "mane" means "maniac." And I'm very happily guilty as charged. :crying:

#22 whetherwax

whetherwax

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 03:04 PM

whetherwax, I must disagree somewhat.

Your point is a good one, but as stated, I think it excludes too much. Altho it's true that a balletomane is likely to have a great deal of knowledge, I think someone who is in the early stages of his/her "balletomane career" (if I can use that term :)) may still be a balletomane even tho they still have a long way to go on the knowledge curve.

Rather than emphasizing knowledge level, I'd put more emphasis on how obsessed one is with the subject, and how often (and at what effort) one goes to see ballet. For example, someone who has a subscription and only sees a single performance of each program (and therefore not obsessed with seeing multiple casts) is likely not a balletomane even if they were the most knowledgeable person on the planet.

Maybe balletomanes need a reasonable income too, to support multiple viewings??? :dry:

#23 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:43 PM

I tend to contract the word to simply "balleto." I must have picked it up from some of my balleto friends.

Maybe balletomanes need a reasonable income too, to support multiple viewings??? :dry:

Because we (see? I include myself) buy so many tickets, we go for the cheapest ones. I know very few true balletos, some but very few, who regularly sit in the prime location.

#24 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:02 PM

Fairly often, the True Believers have good connections in the business, which gets them comp seats.

#25 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,217 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:08 PM

Fairly often, the True Believers have good connections in the business, which gets them comp seats.

:dry:

#26 Arizona Native

Arizona Native

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:01 AM

We could have a little more fun with this. How 'bout a few rounds of "You know you're a balletomane IF"? I'll start.

You know you're a balletomane if:

1) Despite the horrid mug-shots in the program, you can instantly identify > 75% of your "home" company members;
2) You have to restrain yourself from giggling, pointing, and bouncing in your seat, because you've just spotted one of your favorite dancers in a restaurant;
3) The box office employees recognize you as the season-ticket holder who always comes back for cheap-seat opportunities for alternate cast performances;
4) You remain genuinely puzzled regarding the relative social acclaim for sports figures.

#27 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:07 AM

According to Arizona Native's list it would appear I'm not a balletomane after all.

#28 Arizona Native

Arizona Native

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:28 AM

Oh, those were just examples of my own mania-demonstrating behavior. Feel free to add your own!

#29 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:53 AM

Oh, those were just examples of my own mania-demonstrating behavior. Feel free to add your own!

I thought they were very good, and probably apply very well to some of the BTers I consider True Balletomanes.

#30 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:14 AM

1) Despite the horrid mug-shots in the program, you can instantly identify > 75% of your "home" company members;
2) You have to restrain yourself from giggling, pointing, and bouncing in your seat, because you've just spotted one of your favorite dancers in a restaurant;
3) The box office employees recognize you as the season-ticket holder who always comes back for cheap-seat opportunities for alternate cast performances;
4) You remain genuinely puzzled regarding the relative social acclaim for sports figures.

Guilty on all counts! :D

I can add a few:

5) Most box office employees recognize you on the phone since you speak to them so often, and have relatively lengthy conversations as you sort thru all the ticket options available for additional performances.
6) Somehow beg to sit in as an observer at class.
7) Never ever miss a post-performance Q&A session.
8) Regularly fall in love with this dancer or that dancer.
8) Follow dancers on Twitter.
9) Go to the company library to study video tapes of one-on-one teaching sessions (such as those done by the Balanchine Trust).
10) Find it impossible to shake the feeling that dancers are somehow on a plane btwn mere mortals and the gods (sort of like angels) when all along your rational self knows they are human like everyone else.

[Well, OK.......maybe you can still be a balletomane without doing all these things, but if you are afflicted with a case of true obsessive mania, these sorts of behaviors can be common.]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):