Are you a Balletomane...?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you consider yourself a balletomane? (55 member(s) have cast votes)

Time to confess...

1. Yes (33 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. No (9 votes [16.36%])

Percentage of vote: 16.36%

3. Not sure (4 votes [7.27%])

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

4. Yes, but wouldn't say it out loud (9 votes [16.36%])

Percentage of vote: 16.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:00 PM

Poll posted, so not much to add to it...

(just curious to see if I get some responses... :angry2: )

#2 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:09 PM

This is a good topic, seems almost strange nobody came up with it till now. No, I'm not one. I love ballet, but I've found out from BT what a true balletomane is.

#3 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,260 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for breaking the ice, Patrick!! I think the poll is a good idea...You know, a simple "Yes" or "No" one...so anonymity can be preserved...just in case the "yes" answer doesn't come out that easy... :angry2:

#4 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 03:43 AM

Those two are balletomanes, I'm just a maniac. (With a :angry2: in the general direction of Sam and Bella Spewack.)

#5 SanderO

SanderO

Silver Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:13 AM

I wasn't sure of the precise definition of the word so I surfed around and found this:

"A balletomane is someone who has a deep appreciation and enthusiasm for ballet. One of the most noted balletomanes in history was Edward Gorey, who attended every single performance of the New York City Ballet for several years in the 1950s. Gorey was so dedicated to ballet that he refused to leave New York City during the ballet season for a number of years specifically because he did not want to miss any ballet performances, an attitude which many balletomanes would sympathize with.

This term is derived from the French word “ballet” and the Greek manes, which means “ardent admirer.” It was coined in the 19th century to describe ardent fans of the Russian ballet. At first, the term was meant to imply a certain amount of mania, with balletomanes supporting specific artists with an almost alarming level of fervor, sometimes coming to blows over performances. Bitter debates between balletomanes seemed comical to outsiders, who simply couldn't comprehend the level of devotion involved.

In the 20th century, “balletomane” began to acquire less extreme connotations, and it came to be used more generally to describe someone who really enjoys ballet. In addition to seeing a number of ballet performances each year, a balletomane is also typically very well informed about the art of ballet, and he or she keeps up with major artists in the field. Many follow specific ballet companies, sometimes traveling to see them on tour, and balletomanes can often rattle off statistics about the roster of dancers in a particular company.

A balletomane may also appreciate other forms of dance, but usually ballet is the first love. Many are enthusiastic about the history of ballet and the development of the art, and those with money often donate generously to ballet companies and programs to spread ballet. Season tickets to a local ballet company are a must for a balletomane, and balletomanes can often be seen clustered in the lobby during intermissions to discuss the performance.

In addition to being knowledgeable about dancers, and sometimes directly acquainted with them, balletomanes also enjoy the music, costumes, sets, and lighting associated with ballet. Some may collect visual materials related to famous ballet companies, such as coffeetable books which feature stunning ballet sets, or recordings of notable orchestras performing music composed for the ballet. Balletomanes are also eager to share their collection and love for ballet with others, in most cases."

Based of the above, as much as I admire and love ballet, I can't say I have devoted the required time and energy to this wonderful art. It's hard to imagine when someone has such a powerful attraction to the art that they don't actually get INTO it as more than an observer.

I don't think I qualify. I'll have cast a reluctant vote of - No.

#6 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:11 AM

I've never been sure whether the "t" was pronounced, so I've never said it out loud. But I suppose I have no excuse, with the Internet so close and all :angry2:

#7 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:35 AM

I voted yes - guilty as charged.

#8 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:06 AM

Cristian, your challenge makes me realize that I've always been troubled by the "mania" implications of the term. There was also, I thought, a suggestion of frivolity and suprficiality in the way the term is often used., as in "tulipmania."

SanderO's research convinces me to give up my state of denial. As does Mel's:

Those two are balletomanes, I'm just a maniac.

After reading this thread I am now ready to say:

My name is Bart and I'm a balletomane.

Is there a Twelve-Step group I should be attending?

#9 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:37 AM

I voted no because I am a reformed balletomane. For many years now I have been strictly a Farrell follower.

#10 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:59 AM

Is there a Twelve-Step group I should be attending?

Balletomanes Anonymous. The group meets nightly during the ABT Met season in the lobby of the balcony area. There is also a nightly meeting during the NYCB season on the Promenade. LOL! If you have to be addicted to something, ballet is perferable to drugs, alcohol or smoking, right. I'm guilty as charged.

#11 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:07 AM

Having devoted my entire life to the art form since the age of seven, I think it is safe to say I am a balletomane. :)

#12 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:59 AM

.....Balletomanes Anonymous. The group meets nightly during the ABT Met season in the lobby of the balcony area. There is also a nightly meeting during the NYCB season on the Promenade.

Duly noted, with thanks. :)

#13 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,260 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 03:47 PM

Mm, interesting results so far...the "Yes, but..." surpasses the plain "No", but still the majority has answered "Yes"...
Keep 'em coming, people!! :)

#14 SanderO

SanderO

Silver Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:01 PM

I think most of the participants on BT are very keen on ballet and quite knowledgeable and would be balletomanes in my opinion. Having the moniker is something I aspire to. A guy can dream can't he?

#15 jonellew

jonellew

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:30 PM

I've never been sure whether the "t" was pronounced, so I've never said it out loud. But I suppose I have no excuse, with the Internet so close and all :)

Me, too! I've always pronounced it "in my head" with the "t," and luckily, Merriam-Webster confirms that this is correct. Phew.

Thanks, SanderO, for the definitions—I loved the description of Gorey as an example.

Sadly, I haven't settled in a city that supports a true balletomane lifestyle. So I'm not, according to that definition. But if circumstances were different, I think I could be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):