This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Are you a Balletomane...?

Do you consider yourself a balletomane?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Time to confess...

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Yes, but wouldn't say it out loud

I wasn't sure of the precise definition of the word so I surfed around and found this:

"A balletomane is someone who has a deep appreciation and enthusiasm for ballet. One of the most noted balletomanes in history was Edward Gorey, who attended every single performance of the New York City Ballet for several years in the 1950s. Gorey was so dedicated to ballet that he refused to leave New York City during the ballet season for a number of years specifically because he did not want to miss any ballet performances, an attitude which many balletomanes would sympathize with.

This term is derived from the French word “ballet” and the Greek manes, which means “ardent admirer.” It was coined in the 19th century to describe ardent fans of the Russian ballet. At first, the term was meant to imply a certain amount of mania, with balletomanes supporting specific artists with an almost alarming level of fervor, sometimes coming to blows over performances. Bitter debates between balletomanes seemed comical to outsiders, who simply couldn't comprehend the level of devotion involved.

In the 20th century, “balletomane” began to acquire less extreme connotations, and it came to be used more generally to describe someone who really enjoys ballet. In addition to seeing a number of ballet performances each year, a balletomane is also typically very well informed about the art of ballet, and he or she keeps up with major artists in the field. Many follow specific ballet companies, sometimes traveling to see them on tour, and balletomanes can often rattle off statistics about the roster of dancers in a particular company.

A balletomane may also appreciate other forms of dance, but usually ballet is the first love. Many are enthusiastic about the history of ballet and the development of the art, and those with money often donate generously to ballet companies and programs to spread ballet. Season tickets to a local ballet company are a must for a balletomane, and balletomanes can often be seen clustered in the lobby during intermissions to discuss the performance.

In addition to being knowledgeable about dancers, and sometimes directly acquainted with them, balletomanes also enjoy the music, costumes, sets, and lighting associated with ballet. Some may collect visual materials related to famous ballet companies, such as coffeetable books which feature stunning ballet sets, or recordings of notable orchestras performing music composed for the ballet. Balletomanes are also eager to share their collection and love for ballet with others, in most cases."

Based of the above, as much as I admire and love ballet, I can't say I have devoted the required time and energy to this wonderful art. It's hard to imagine when someone has such a powerful attraction to the art that they don't actually get INTO it as more than an observer.

I don't think I qualify. I'll have cast a reluctant vote of - No.

Cristian, your challenge makes me realize that I've always been troubled by the "mania" implications of the term. There was also, I thought, a suggestion of frivolity and suprficiality in the way the term is often used., as in "tulipmania."

SanderO's research convinces me to give up my state of denial. As does Mel's:

Those two are balletomanes, I'm just a maniac.

After reading this thread I am now ready to say:

My name is Bart and I'm a balletomane.

Is there a Twelve-Step group I should be attending?

Is there a Twelve-Step group I should be attending?

Balletomanes Anonymous. The group meets nightly during the ABT Met season in the lobby of the balcony area. There is also a nightly meeting during the NYCB season on the Promenade. LOL! If you have to be addicted to something, ballet is perferable to drugs, alcohol or smoking, right. I'm guilty as charged.

.....Balletomanes Anonymous. The group meets nightly during the ABT Met season in the lobby of the balcony area. There is also a nightly meeting during the NYCB season on the Promenade.

Duly noted, with thanks. :)

I've never been sure whether the "t" was pronounced, so I've never said it out loud. But I suppose I have no excuse, with the Internet so close and all :)

Me, too! I've always pronounced it "in my head" with the "t," and luckily, Merriam-Webster confirms that this is correct. Phew.

Thanks, SanderO, for the definitions—I loved the description of Gorey as an example.

Sadly, I haven't settled in a city that supports a true balletomane lifestyle. So I'm not, according to that definition. But if circumstances were different, I think I could be.

I voted no, because although I have a suscription to 5 ballets this year and will go to 2 Cinema showings of Royal Ballet performances as well as buying many DVDs, the real ambience surrounding the word is KNOWLEGE. All those who vote yes will have a vast store of knowlege and be able to critique various performances. As well , as Jonellow says, certain demographics are important. Europe, Russia and North America are the centres of ballet life, and Although the Australian Ballet is robust and full of brio it is the only one we have. Comparison feeds knowlege.

whetherwax, I must disagree somewhat.

Your point is a good one, but as stated, I think it excludes too much. Altho it's true that a balletomane is likely to have a great deal of knowledge, I think someone who is in the early stages of his/her "balletomane career" (if I can use that term :crying:) may still be a balletomane even tho they still have a long way to go on the knowledge curve.

Rather than emphasizing knowledge level, I'd put more emphasis on how obsessed one is with the subject, and how often (and at what effort) one goes to see ballet. For example, someone who has a subscription and only sees a single performance of each program (and therefore not obsessed with seeing multiple casts) is likely not a balletomane even if they were the most knowledgeable person on the planet.

Rather than emphasizing knowledge level, I'd put more emphasis on how obsessed one is with the subject, and how often (and at what effort) one goes to see ballet.

I agree. As Mel and Bart noted, "mane" means "maniac." And I'm very happily guilty as charged. :crying:

whetherwax, I must disagree somewhat.

Your point is a good one, but as stated, I think it excludes too much. Altho it's true that a balletomane is likely to have a great deal of knowledge, I think someone who is in the early stages of his/her "balletomane career" (if I can use that term :)) may still be a balletomane even tho they still have a long way to go on the knowledge curve.

Rather than emphasizing knowledge level, I'd put more emphasis on how obsessed one is with the subject, and how often (and at what effort) one goes to see ballet. For example, someone who has a subscription and only sees a single performance of each program (and therefore not obsessed with seeing multiple casts) is likely not a balletomane even if they were the most knowledgeable person on the planet.

Maybe balletomanes need a reasonable income too, to support multiple viewings??? :dry:

I tend to contract the word to simply "balleto." I must have picked it up from some of my balleto friends.

Maybe balletomanes need a reasonable income too, to support multiple viewings??? :dry:
Because we (see? I include myself) buy so many tickets, we go for the cheapest ones. I know very few true balletos, some but very few, who regularly sit in the prime location.