Alastair Macaulay: progress report-- hows he doing? or not doing? in NYC and in the US generally.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:54 PM

I found it interesting he managed to review, in today's review, Cory Stearns (his new love), who did not perform, and omit any reference to Puck, a key character in The Dream, and the dancer who performed that role. For someone who cares *so much* about the ballet text, one could have read the review and not known such a character existed...

He raved about Cornejo as Puck three weeks ago. Not every review has to be written for readers who've never seen the ballet. I found the contrast he made between Stearns and Gomes instructive, sharpening my image of both.

But it wasn't Cornejo last night, it was Salstein, and I would have found it instructive and enlightening to know how the person who actually performed in the performance being reviewed, performed.

#32 leonid17

leonid17

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 02:42 AM

http://www.nytimes.c...03new.html?_r=1

This is exactly the kind of ballet crticism I want to read. It combines background to actuality with a definite point of view.

Ps Thank you dirac for posting this in links.

#33 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,068 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:38 PM

You're very welcome, leonid. I agree, this article was a pleasure to read.

#34 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:35 AM

I've waited until the end of the season to post this, but I'm going to close this thread.

In the future, if there's a specific review/article you wish to discuss, please post a new thread for each review. The same would apply to any other critic -- the point is to discuss the ARTICLE not smear or boost a particular writer.

The place to discuss articles is this forum, not on the specific company thread.

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):