This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Alastair Macaulay: progress report-- hows he doing? or not doing? in NYC and in the US generally.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 aurora

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:54 PM

I found it interesting he managed to review, in today's review, Cory Stearns (his new love), who did not perform, and omit any reference to Puck, a key character in The Dream, and the dancer who performed that role. For someone who cares *so much* about the ballet text, one could have read the review and not known such a character existed...

He raved about Cornejo as Puck three weeks ago. Not every review has to be written for readers who've never seen the ballet. I found the contrast he made between Stearns and Gomes instructive, sharpening my image of both.

But it wasn't Cornejo last night, it was Salstein, and I would have found it instructive and enlightening to know how the person who actually performed in the performance being reviewed, performed.

#32 leonid17

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 02:42 AM

This is exactly the kind of ballet crticism I want to read. It combines background to actuality with a definite point of view.

Ps Thank you dirac for posting this in links.

#33 dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,368 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:38 PM

You're very welcome, leonid. I agree, this article was a pleasure to read.

#34 Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,287 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:35 AM

I've waited until the end of the season to post this, but I'm going to close this thread.

In the future, if there's a specific review/article you wish to discuss, please post a new thread for each review. The same would apply to any other critic -- the point is to discuss the ARTICLE not smear or boost a particular writer.

The place to discuss articles is this forum, not on the specific company thread.

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):