This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Benois de la Danse 2009 cerem cancelled

Apparently the gala in Vincenza will be hosted by Alessandra Ferri and Yuri Grigorovitch.

The other invited dancers are:

Carlos Acosta, Jiri Bubenicek, Aurelia Bellet, Alessio Carbone, Igone de Jongh, Marie-Agnès Gillot, Nadejda Gracheva, Casey Herd, Ivan Kozlov, Manuel Legris, Agnès Letestu, Lienz Chang, Ulyana Lopatkina, Hervé Moreau, Tamara Rojo, Ruslan Skvortzov.

The winners weren't announced at the gala.

"The world economic crisis has made its impact on the cultural projects in Russia. The XVII edition of Benois de la Danse at the Bolshoi Theatre in Moscow has been cancelled. However, the Jury will determine the laureates of Benois-2009 by correspondence and their names will be announced. "

http://benois.theatre.ru/english

I guess it means they'll post the winners names on the site ... eventually.

The winners weren't announced at the gala.

"The world economic crisis has made its impact on the cultural projects in Russia. The XVII edition of Benois de la Danse at the Bolshoi Theatre in Moscow has been cancelled. However, the Jury will determine the laureates of Benois-2009 by correspondence and their names will be announced. "

http://benois.theatre.ru/english

I guess it means they'll post the winners names on the site ... eventually.

Cinnamonswirl, sorry but your quote is old - from May 6. It is the quote that also announced the Vicenza gala as the place where the winners would be revealed. Hence my question. So....who danced in Vicenza? Who were the winners?

According to reports, no winners were announced at the gala. Hence my assumption the winners will eventually be announced on the website. None of the nominated dancers performed.

From the pictures on Dansomanie it looks like Carlos Acosta picked up some kind of award -- although I don't think he wasn't listed as being nominated for anything.

The program, as announced by the Italian producers and posted on Dansomanie, was as follows:

La Sylphide - pas de deux (Bounonville)

Nadejda GRACHEVA, Ruslan SKVORTSOV

Voorbijgegaan (van Dantzig)

Igone de JONGH, Casey HERD

Diva (Carlson)

Marie-Agnès GILLOT

Diamonds - pas de deuz (Balanchine)

Ulyana LOPATKINA, Evgeny IVANCHENKO

Arepo (Béjart)

Alessio CARBONE

Manon (MacMillan)

Tamara ROJO, Carlos ACOSTA

The Sleeping Beauty - pas de deux (Petipa)

Nadejda GRACHEVA, Ruslan SKVORTSOV

The Portrait of ... (de Bana)

Manuel LEGRIS

La Dame aux camélias (Neumeier)

Agnès LETESTU, Hervé MOREAU

Intimate Distance (Bubenicek)

Marie-Agnès GILLOT, Jiri BUBENICEK

Carmen (Petit)

Tamara ROJO, Lienz CHANG

The Dying Swan (Fokine)

Ulyana LOPATKINA

Les Enfants du paradis (Martinez)

Aurélia BELLET, Alessio CARBONE

Thanks, cinnamonswirl. That's quite an impressive line-up for the gala. I don't see any of the listed nominees among the performers so 'Heaven Knows' the results. Maybe the organizers simply gave-up on naming winners? The only connection to the nominations is the excerpt from one of the Best Choreography nominees -- Les Enfants du Paradis by Jose Martinez.

I've always found this Benois de la Danse to be a somewhat wacky award...never quite understanding how certain folks appeared on the list of nominees, e.g., internationally-known dancers are nominated next to people 'on the fringes'...Marcelo Gomes competing against a Shaolin monk or a soloist from Cincinnati Ballet? This year we have Bolshoi and Kirov-Mariinsky ballerinas competing against a dancer from North Carolina Dance Theater for the title of Greatest Ballerina of the World. I mean - I was really rooting for Anita Pacylowski's performance in "Pulling the Strings pdd" to slam-dunk Natalia Osipova's collective performances in Giselle/Sylphide/Corsaire! :wub:

On 6/3/2009 at 4:10 PM, Natalia said:

Thanks, cinnamonswirl. That's quite an impressive line-up for the gala. I don't see any of the listed nominees among the performers so 'Heaven Knows' the results. Maybe the organizers simply gave-up on naming winners? The only connection to the nominations is the excerpt from one of the Best Choreography nominees -- Les Enfants du Paradis by Jose Martinez.

I've always found this Benois de la Danse to be a somewhat wacky award...never quite understanding how certain folks appeared on the list of nominees, e.g., internationally-known dancers are nominated next to people 'on the fringes'...Marcelo Gomes competing against a Shaolin monk or a soloist from Cincinnati Ballet? This year we have Bolshoi and Kirov-Mariinsky ballerinas competing against a dancer from North Carolina Dance Theater for the title of Greatest Ballerina of the World. I mean - I was really rooting for Anita Pacylowski's performance in "Pulling the Strings pdd" to slam-dunk Natalia Osipova's collective performances in Giselle/Sylphide/Corsaire! :wub:

Hi Natalia, I am Anita Pacylowski and when I did a google search for Benois de la Danse with my name this  pop up. I read as much as I can to figure out what happend to the nominess of 2009. It was so disappointing that they had to cancel. I would love to know if the nominee's have had any type of acknowledgment.