Summer 2009 at the Mariinsky TheaterWhite Nights, debuts, premieres, etc.

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:22 AM

I seem to recall that D Vishneva did not dance SL at the Kirov until she danced it in the west(ABT?). Maybe,Evgenia can do the same. We sure would be happy to see her dance it here.

Right...Obraztsova has practically built her career in the 19th-C Petipa classics on having first danced the big leading roles in the West, e.g., Raymonda in Thailand, Aurora in Ft. Lauderdale, FL, etc. If it weren't for this, she'd be dancing only Juliet, soubrettes and knee-length Romantic tutu ballets at home...not that those roles are anything to sneeze at! :)

#32 Sacto1654

Sacto1654

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 03:13 PM

Here's the problem with Obraztsova--she's just a tad too short to be matched with most of male dancers with Principal status at the Mariinsky (Obraztsova with Danila Korsuntsev in Swan Lake? I don't think so!).

Now, if Obraztsova can do Swan Lake she needs to be matched with a shorter male ballet dancer like her husband, Vladimir Skylyarov. Now THAT would work quite well indeed. :wink:

#33 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:41 AM

Here's the problem with Obraztsova--she's just a tad too short to be matched with most of male dancers with Principal status at the Mariinsky (Obraztsova with Danila Korsuntsev in Swan Lake? I don't think so!).

Now, if Obraztsova can do Swan Lake she needs to be matched with a shorter male ballet dancer like her husband, Vladimir Skylyarov. Now THAT would work quite well indeed. :wink:

Many of the shorter Mariinsky male Principals would do perfectly: Sarafanov, Kolb or (when back to good health) Fadeev. Obraztsova also dances very well with the 'middle height' men like Matvienko (the recent Shurale) and, as you pointed out, Schklyarov. [Schklyarov is not Obraztsova's husband, by the way, but definitely a friend and professional partner. I learned this during my recent visit to St. Petersburg. Some of the early publicity from St. Petersburg Times newspaper and Kultura TV 2-3 years ago reported this erroneously.]

#34 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:06 AM

Many of the shorter Mariinsky male Principals would do perfectly: Sarafanov, Kolb or (when back to good health) Fadeev. Obraztsova also dances very well with the 'middle height' men like Matvienko (the recent Shurale) and, as you pointed out, Schklyarov. [Schklyarov is not Obraztsova's husband, by the way, but definitely a friend and professional partner. I learned this during my recent visit to St. Petersburg. Some of the early publicity from St. Petersburg Times newspaper and Kultura TV 2-3 years ago reported this erroneously.]

Genichka would be an excellent O/O. If she has to outsource this role the way Diana Vishneva has, then she should definitely look into it. To date Genichka has had to outsource her debuts as Aurora (Kazan), Raymonda (Bangkok), and Kitri (Tokyo). The only full length Aurora she has danced at home this season, was at her mother's alma mater the Mikhailovsky Ballet, not the Maryinsky. Ruzimatov is the Mikhailovksy's Artistic Director.

Vishneva wasn't granted O/O at the Maryinsky for a number of years because in the beginning the management's verdict was that she was a soubrette, and that her legs and feet were deemed unsightly. To her credit, Diana didn't let this deter her from essaying the role elsewhere. I hope that Genichka's success in "Shurale" will prompt the authorities to grant her the opportunity to dance "Swan Lake" on her home stage. Natalia, I agree that the gentlemen you named would all be the perfect foils for her. I would also like to add to your list Sasha Sergeev, (Pavlenko's husband), who made his magnificent debut as Albrecht opposite Genichka's sublime Giselle. I hope that Genichka doesn't have to wait a decade to essay the role on her home stage like Katya Osmolkina. Consider this: Alina Somova was thrust into O/O, making her debut within six months of her graduation from the Academy. That fact puts this issue of "emploi" and Maryinsky casting policy in the proper perspective, doesn't it?

#35 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:08 AM

Vids of the 2nd Shurale performance (Golub & Lobukhin) are now up, too:

http://www.youtube.c...feature=channel

Interesting to compare this same adagio with the first cast one.

#36 sealings

sealings

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:46 AM

http://www.russiatod...te_Nights_.html

this page has some beautiful footage of vishneva's performance on saturday

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):