This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mariinsky Ballet Swan Lake

Of interest to ballettalkers planning a vacation or passing through Greece this summer: there are two planned Swan Lake performances at the Herodion

Casting was just announced (for what it's worth):

Uliana Lopatkina, Danila Korsuntsev (July 6 2009)

Yekaterina Osmolkina, Ιgor Kolb (July 7 2009)

More info and tickets (after June 15th) can be found here:

http://www.greekfestival.gr/show_event?id=322〈=en

/slightly off topic mini-rant:

This was very exciting but at the same time vaguely irritating. In the context of this particular festival, programming a Mariinsky Swan Lake is a highly unusual move (the closest it's gotten to ballet in the last three years has been Forsythe's Limb's Theorem). That they only allowed ballet in when the budgets evaporated and the crisis-hit sponsors backed out reeks of desperation and cynicism. That can also be said for the selection of the perennial cash-cow when there were other Mariinsky programs that would sell decently and fit better with the rest of the festival. The prevailing mind-set seems to be that ballet is the silly thing you do to help finance the Serious Artistic Endeavours that are the rest of the festival. Maybe I'm wrong about this, at least I hope I am...

/end rant

On a less grouchy note: let's hope for good weather and no unpleasant casting surprises!

:(

Thanks for posting this, having seen Osmolkina dance two Swan Lakes in London recently (only her second and third attempts at the role), I'd say she's on course to be the greatest interpreter of this role for decades.

Herod Atticus is a dream venue and Greece the star summer holiday destination of Europe, I'm already thinking two nights in Athens then down to Piraeus for a ship to one of the islands. Should I book or will the Kirov throw a casting spanner into the works? Bit of a dilemma. :(

Thanks for posting this, having seen Osmolkina dance two Swan Lakes in London recently (only her second and third attempts at the role), I'd say she's on course to be the greatest interpreter of this role for decades.

wow! that's very high praise - i'm now very much looking forward to it!

Should I book or will the Kirov throw a casting spanner into the works? Bit of a dilemma. :(

Based on how casting evolved on similar occasions in the past I'd say that Osmolkina is far more likely to appear than Lopatkina - but that doesn't say much of course...

If you decide to come and want to say hi before performance PM me. I'll be there both nights :lol:

Herod Atticus is a dream venue and Greece the star summer holiday destination of Europe, I'm already thinking two nights in Athens then down to Piraeus for a ship to one of the islands. Should I book or will the Kirov throw a casting spanner into the works? Bit of a dilemma. :wallbash:

You know, I love Osmolkina--but (move this to another thread if need be!), what makes her the "greatest" (or on track)???