This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mariinsky removing Raymonda?

Just saw this small chat in English. His English is pretty good but he made a mistake using 'removed' instead of 'return.' RAYMONDA is being returned to the rep - not removed. He wouldn't be smiling and saying how important a ballet it is if they were truly removing it. He also smiles as he says that they will "remove' Robbins' 'In the Night' in May.

His big error is in stating that Balanchine's TARANTELLA premiered at the Mariinsky during last month's Mariinsky Festival gala. Absurd! I have witnessed this pdd at the Mariinsky in several galas, commencing with Farouk Ruzimatov's May 1994 gala, when Ruzimatov danced it with Chistyakova. I've also seen Kullik/Kim and many others dance. Even in 1994, I was told that it had been performed there before.

I also find it a bit funny when Fateev terms Vishneva's 'Beauty in Motion' a company premiere. True, impressario Danielan and Vishneva rented-out the theater for one night to stage this show and will do the same thing this summer for several nights. The Mariinsky had nothing to do with it officially other than accept money for rental of the hall. Just because the dancers are Mariinsky dancers doesn't make this part of the Mariinsky rep, IMO. SO can the Mariinsky also claim the rep that is presented by Yuri Grigorovich's Krasnodar Ballet in August? I don't think so.

Raymonda is an important ballet for the Mariinsky troupe because 1) it was one of the very last ballets produced by Marius Petipa when he was working for the Imperial Ballet at the Mariinsky Theatre and 2) it is a great showcase for a really good ballerina (indeed, it is one of Ulyana Lopatkina's signature roles).

I for one would LOVE to see someone produce new sets and costumes for the Mariinsky Theatre version and have it filmed with Ulyana Lopatkina in the lead role. I'd pay top dollar for such a video release. :(

Raymonda is an important ballet for the Mariinsky troupe because 1) it was one of the very last ballets produced by Marius Petipa when he was working for the Imperial Ballet at the Mariinsky Theatre and 2) it is a great showcase for a really good ballerina (indeed, it is one of Ulyana Lopatkina's signature roles).

I for one would LOVE to see someone produce new sets and costumes for the Mariinsky Theatre version and have it filmed with Ulyana Lopatkina in the lead role. I'd pay top dollar for such a video release. :(

Oh yes - so would I.